Lighting Eyes question

Anyone having any tips on lighting the eyes on a portrait of a K4 with big eyes (specifically Im using Abigail)?

Im trying to get a nice glossy look on the eyes (much like the sample image in Render panel) but am unhappy with the results.

I put a spotlight on each eye spec only and cranked the intensity.
I selected eye and cranked the glossiness and the spec.
The lacrimal lights very brightly but the eye surface does not unless I turn the light into a ON (not spec state)

Any suggestions would be most helpful. :)

Post edited by jsharpe177_5c0d96968b on

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

There used to be a thread for this in the old forum, but Google isn't finding it. :-S
    First thing to do, would be to dial the cornea morph so it has more of an impact on the render.
    You could then try to add Refraction Index of 1.34 (IIRC) and intensity of 100% to the Cornea. Colour should be black (I think?) if you are on DS 4.5, can be anything (leaving it on white is good) for DS3 and I'm not sure what it should be set to for DS4.0.x.
    For the cornea, I generally go for 1% Opacity and switch Multiply Through Opacity to Off, and add some Reflection (50%-ish, white colour).
    For best results you need at least two bounces, Max Raytrace Depth, in your Advanced Render Settings, but DNA research (maker of 3Delight) gimped the render engine in the version that ships with DS4.5 (it now ignores some of the reflection and refraction bounces) so I'm not sure if any of this would be worthwhile in DS4.5.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for your response ReDave.

Would be great to have a tutorial stickied at the top of the forums for other people who might find this confusing.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Here's the link to the gojugirl eyes tutorial: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=62071

Please note that the images will not appear inline. You need to change the

postimages/origimage_1_3096345.png
    to read
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_3096345.png
    and then past that new URL in a new window/tab of your browser (obviously substituting the appropriate image name) to see the appropriate image in question.
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Thanks Adam!