I am trying to create a shadow for soft surfaces

Hi all, 

I am struggling a bit atm. I recently got the Iray HDRI Toolkit, and I love the aspect of being able to create shadows with objects that aren't visible when I render. 

I render out PNG's of models for montage work. So I take a source image myself with original photography, create a person in DAZ, and insert them into the picture that I took. 

What the Toolkit is great for is hard and solid objects, whether that be a plank, platform, ball, curved surface, etc. 

What I am looking for right now is the same type of Iray HDRI shadow work, but for soft surfaces. I'd like to be able to replicate the shadow work for a foot "sinking" into the ground, such as on a mattress, but I don't want an object, such as a mattress, to show up in the render. Is there a way to accomplish this with the Iray HDRI Toolkit or something similar? 

Comments

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 490

Morning!
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for but Studio has a built in layering canvas system for partial rendering options!
    Check out the Canvases video tutorial from ARTCollaborations on YouTube, it's a two part series.
    Elli

• Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I posted a similar question but didn't include an example of the look I'm going for. I'm working on creating an effect where my figure appears to be "sunken in" to a soft surface, as if adhered to it. The posing is fine, but I'm struggling with getting the shadows right. I want the shadows to realistically reflect that the body is sunken into a soft surface, rather than appearing flat.

Additionally, I need to achieve this effect with no visible surface, as the final output will be a PNG file. Essentially, I'm looking for a way to create shadows that make it look like the figure is sinking into an invisible surface.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 2.19.15 PM.png
    2994 x 1702 - 371K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,037

Threads merged.

What you want is probably a shadow catcher that will mask off the "sunken" parts of the figure - but for a soft edge you probably need a custom shape for that, not just a plane. The Create Advanced Iray Node Properties file in the Scripts>Utilities folder will easily let you do the first half, but getting a suitable object to stand in for the surface may be a bit fiddlier - a plane primitive (Create>New Primitive) with a lot of divisions might work if you apply a Push Modifier to it (Edit>Object>Geometry), add a Push Modifier Weight node (Create menu) and use the Node Weightmap Brush tool to paint in the depression. You might also get somewhere applying dForce to a plane or cube, using the Geometry Editor to add a new surface around the edges and setting that to zero dynamic strength in the Surfaces pane, then using a Play Range simulation (Simulation Settings) and Timeline pane to animate moving the plane up to the figure, so that it will dent the surface in.