Render speed add-ons

Hi team, been looking into how these things work and I think I have an understanding...ish. Now, my question is this: Is there any value/advantage/mileage in utilising Scene Optimiser and Iray Stand Kit together to help render speeds? I see advantages in both and was just wondering if anyone out there has tried both together.

I've also looked at Camera View Optimiser but I don't want to muddy the waters, I'll just stick to my original question.

Many thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,480
    edited May 11

Scene Optimiser reduces memory consumption by downsizing textues, so the basic scene should remain unchanged. The other two items remove geometry, which will affect what renders directly (by chnaging where light can reach and by removing things from reflections. I would regard the latter as destructive changes, though thast may be desired (and is the main design point of the Stand Kit) but the speed gains/memory reduction would stack. Idf you are wanting to trim memory I would also add MattyManX's Resource Saver products to the mix - use those for rally distant items, use Scene Optimiser for middle and even near (depending on texture density vs render size) elements, and optionally use one of the other two to completely remove elements that are not adding to the scene in your judgement.

Of course you can do all of these things manually, the tools just simplify the job.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • I understand Richard, I have indeed been manually removing items not in the viewfinder but it's a bit of a pain. I have a bit more confidence to try a permutation of add-on assistance now.

Many thanks

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602

I have Scene Optimizer, Camera View Optimizer, Resource Saver Shaders, Render Throttle for Iray and a few other utilities to help ease viewport navigation and render times on my humble laptop (Windows 10 Pro, 16 GB RAM and 6 GB VRAM on an RTX 2060).  With Camera View Optimizer, you choose whether to remove items in the camera’s view or only hide them.  Removing and hiding can both be undone.  I bought all four of the products listed above on sale but none of them are currently on sale.  I'm a hobbyist/dabbler who plays with this stuff just for fun.

• Thanks jjoyner, I will most probably follow suit! :)

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602

I meant to include in my original post that I have not tried out different permutations of the utilities to see if any are more beneficial than using the utilities solo. 

• If I do jj, I will let you know