Render to new window results in blank window until render completion (solved)

suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173

If I select to render to a New Window instead of Direct to File, something I always do so I can see any obvious mistakes in something I'm making, I now no longer get a preview of the render in progress within the new window.

Once the render completes, the New Window suddenly populates with the full render and I can save it.

If I click on cancel, even at 99% completion, the render is completely black.

This completely ruins my workflow as I rely on that rendering preview to easily pick out mistakes I don't otherwise notice.  I can't spend all the time re-rendering things because with this workflow it's forcing me to completely render something out before I can see if I fudged something up. 

How can I begin to troubleshoot this?  Specs in signature.

newwindow-notworking.png
3840 x 2160 - 2M
Post edited by suffo85 on

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited May 18

The only thing I can think of is to check the Update Interval value and Min Update Samples in Render Settings -> Progressive Rendering. If you have an abnormally high value in either of these  you will get the result you have observed. The default values are 5 and 1 respectively.

Seems an odd value to have been changed but it may just be as simple as that (it never is!).

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173
    edited May 18

Here it is at 90% completed, still a blank window.

Canceled at 91% completed, it's black.

Run it to 100% - image suddenly populates into preview allowing me to save.

What the..?

2024-05-18 16:24:56.469 [WARNING] :: \src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 1 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti): invalid resource handle (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:481)
    2024-05-18 16:24:56.469 [WARNING] :: \src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 1 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti): Failed to launch renderer
    2024-05-18 16:24:56.469 [WARNING] :: \src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 1 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti): Device failed while rendering
    2024-05-18 16:24:56.470 [WARNING] :: \src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(376): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 1 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti) is no longer available for rendering.

Further digging shows one of my two GPUs is failing on this scene as indicated in the logfile.

Further testing shows my second GPU is operating correctly, two quick stress tests passed A'OK and loading a different scene in Daz renders using both cards just fine.  It's just this scene not working.

wheresnewwindowpreview01.png
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    cancelstoblack01.png
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    at100percent00.png
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by suffo85 on
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285

Did you have a look at the settings I mentioned? It would be helpful to rule out the obvious before diving any deeper...

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173

TimberWolf said:

Did you have a look at the settings I mentioned? It would be helpful to rule out the obvious before diving any deeper...

I must've been posting my second batch of images there when you replied, I'll check it out now...

Yup somehow I ended up jacking up Update Interval to an insane value.  Thanks man, you've kept me from faceplanting my keyboard trying to figure out if my GPU was going out or if was an object in my scene.