Preferred methods for creating realistic eyebrows for Genesis 9

ElainiElaini Posts: 3
edited June 3 in Art Studio

Hi there, I have just recently gotten into Genesis 9 and I'm getting the hang of it, but surprisingly enough the part I wonder about are the eyebrows.

I knew there are fiber eyebrows that are actually meshes, meaning they fit on the head and give a somewhat three dimensional effect up close. The problem is that when I want to make fine adjustments to the eyebrow shape of my choice that means I must edit the height of the upper nose bridge in morphs, which in turn means I'm editing the head shape and I do not want to go there. Only the placement of the eyebrows on the skin is what matters to me.

So that leads me to painting the eyebrows on my own as a texture which wouldn't be the problem - I'm already familiar with the use of specular, opacity, bump etc. maps. I'm wondering if I can somehow do that as a mask, so I don't have to include the eyebrows to the skin texture itself. What I did find was this video about Gen 8. It works as something like a makeup, I suppose - I haven't created a makeup yet.

Would it still work for Gen 9, and what are your preferred methods in the case of eyebrows?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,480

Moved to Art Studio as it is about specific content, not Daz Studio in general.

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 505
    edited June 4

I have gotten some results I am happy with using a geometry shell with opacity/displacement maps. I don't think geometry shells are as forgiving as fibermesh brows are in some situations. A geometry shell will also lean on your computer hardware if that is an issue.
     If you go this route the trick is to not paint your opacity/displacement map too dense, otherwise it will look like a fuzzy smear and not like hair. Leave some room between hairs for the displacement to work. I use GIMP. I tend to paint a larger area than I need, create a new layer, then use a big soft brush in black to shape the brows. 

Fibermesh eyebrows.jpg
    1042 x 1250 - 1M
    Geometry Shell eyebrows.jpg
    1042 x 1250 - 1M
    Post edited by dtrscbrutal on