FG Summer Camp Bundle - Correctly Priced?

reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,140
edited June 5 in The Commons

Just wonder if the FG Summer Camp Bundle is correctly priced (USD 29.88) since it is - at the moment at least - slightly cheaper (29.86) to buy the items separately.

Post edited by reserv888 on

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,941

It seems wrong, but the DAZ store has done this before.  Also interesting that it's a G8F set, not a G9.  Gotta say, though, that camp looks like it's designed to kill kids, not entertain them - two massive high obstacle devices with no netting or pads, an archery range set up so that any misfires funnel directly into a tent, a hammock, and the only cooking area (which is just a campfire for what appears to be a setup for at least nine campers,) and no potable water storage or washing facilities or outhouses... yeesh.  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,403
    edited June 5

Usually the "buying all parts is cheaper than bundle" situation happens when there's a sale where you get a bigger discount for buying multiple items, but the regular price for the bundle is still cheaper than the sum of parts.

It only happens for regular price if there's extra content exclusive to the bundle.

So in this case there might indeed be a problem with the price. I reported it in the sales error thread so we'll see if there's an answer.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,480

Cybersox said:

It seems wrong, but the DAZ store has done this before.  Also interesting that it's a G8F set, not a G9.  Gotta say, though, that camp looks like it's designed to kill kids, not entertain them - two massive high obstacle devices with no netting or pads, an archery range set up so that any misfires funnel directly into a tent, a hammock, and the only cooking area (which is just a campfire for what appears to be a setup for at least nine campers,) and no potable water storage or washing facilities or outhouses... yeesh.  

The shirt does say 1956. Anyway, from what I can tell that is the purpose of Summer camps.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Richard Haseltine said:

Cybersox said:

Gotta say, though, that camp looks like it's designed to kill kids, not entertain them

from what I can tell that is the purpose of Summer camps.

laughlaugh 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,921

The pricing issue was reported earlier

Richard Haseltine said:

Cybersox said:

The shirt does say 1956. Anyway, from what I can tell that is the purpose of Summer camps.

The shirt says 1986, not 1956 but the shoes look a bit more modern than that.  Meanwhile, the bridgewalk and rockwall are definitely much more modern versions from the last 30 years at most, and most of the rest of the stuff is from all over the time period between the early seventies to present.  With that in mind, I'd say the 1986 is probably supposed to refer to a foundng date for the camp.     

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,800

must be

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 482

The shorts and socks in the outfit scream 70s and 80s, but the folding chairs are mid to late 90s at the earliest.  In the 80s, you would have had one of these.  And that tent is 80s and earlier since dome tents started to replace the mountain tent around the end of the 80s/early 90s.

jjmainor said:

The shorts and socks in the outfit scream 70s and 80s, but the folding chairs are mid to late 90s at the earliest.  In the 80s, you would have had one of these.  And that tent is 80s and earlier since dome tents started to replace the mountain tent around the end of the 80s/early 90s.

True.  I actually bought one of the new style chairs in 94 and they were brand spanking new on the market.  That said, a camp using extremely old and out of date gear isn't a real chronological issue, whereas one using gear that doesn't yet exist is another.  That's why I pin this at a 2000's era camp at the youngest... although it does seem that this lake and the same vendor's new Warrior Tent that dropped today may be sitting on different portions of the same lake, so maybe there's some incosistant abberation in the timestream going on and the summer camp has been sucked back into an earlier millenia. :)       

• Cybersox said:

jjmainor said:

True.  I actually bought one of the new style chairs in 94 and they were brand spanking new on the market.  That said, a camp using extremely old and out of date gear isn't a real chronological issue, whereas one using gear that doesn't yet exist is another.  That's why I pin this at a 2000's era camp at the youngest... although it does seem that this lake and the same vendor's new Warrior Tent that dropped today may be sitting on different portions of the same lake, so maybe there's some incosistant abberation in the timestream going on and the summer camp has been sucked back into an earlier millenia. :)       

Sucked backwards in time is a kind fate compared to what usually happens to campers in the movies...

I miss those chairs. The frames were nearly indestructible, for one thing. It was also very easy to find and put on replacement webbing when they faded and disintegrated a few years later, or sooner if you wanted to change up the colors.

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

I miss those chairs. The frames were nearly indestructible, for one thing. It was also very easy to find and put on replacement webbing when they faded and disintegrated a few years later, or sooner if you wanted to change up the colors.

They DO still make them, but they're much more expensive than the new-fangled kind... usually around $29.95 versus the $10 range the cloth ones cost.  You just have to do a search for "folding webbed chair" or "folding beach chair".   

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,800

we had the folding web chairs way back in the 60s

daveso said:

Much older than that.  You can see the folding metal chairs start popping up often in poolside images shortly after WW2.  Prior to that there were similar chairs made of wood, but the availability of lightweight stainless steel, aluminum and non-rotting synthetic fabrics is what made them explode in popularity.          

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,643

Cybersox said:

daveso said:

Much older than that.  You can see the folding metal chairs start popping up often in poolside images shortly after WW2.  Prior to that there were similar chairs made of wood, but the availability of lightweight stainless steel, aluminum and non-rotting synthetic fabrics is what made them explode in popularity.          

My Dad had these in the fifties.
    Lawn Chairs.JPG
    1514 x 622 - 88K
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,184

Does this product include the full environment (lake, surroundings, trees etc.) - miss info what the scene/preload contains or any birds eye clay on the product page. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,403

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Does this product include the full environment (lake, surroundings, trees etc.)

The file list in the readme lists trees and water, so I'd say yes.

edited June 9

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Does this product include the full environment (lake, surroundings, trees etc.) - miss info what the scene/preload contains or any birds eye clay on the product page. 

Yes, it does, including the HDRI.  Generally, if you see the word "ready scene" that implies that you'll get everything you need to make a render straight out of the box, minus human and animal figures, clothing, and vehicle props that are sold seperately.  Two odd bits, though... first, all of the trees on the opposite side of the lake and about half of the trees that are directly behind the camp are made with two big partial rigs of billboards, and from many angles their 2D nature is very obvious.  Second, while all three cabins are basically identical, with textured interiors and a working door, there is no preset for putting all of the beds, etc. in a group for each cabin.  Rather, if you don't want to have to load and place everything manually, you have to do a full preload of the scene, then copy the contents of the one cabin that loads with interior props and move that to replace the other two cabins.   

Post edited by Cybersox on