what is the .tip used for

lululee1lululee1 Posts: 326

Hi,

Can you tell me what is the .tip used for?

Is it necessary to have it?

Cheerio

lululee

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,326

The tip image is the bigger image that pops up when you hover over a library item. The basic thumbnails are 91 pixels square, so you can just see them on 4k monitors. The standard size of the tip image is 256 x 256 pixels, however I'm tending to do ones with the biggest dimension 512 pixels with 512 or 256 in the other direction. Makes them easier to see.

You can do without, but the standard size is very small these days.

Regards,

Richard

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,224

.tip file is a bigger image you can see when you hover over the thumbnail for a file.

It's not strictly necessary but some .tip files provided with products include additional info on the product or instructions, and it can be useful if you have a high-resolution screen where thumbnails look very tiny.

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 326

Hi,

Thanks so much for the info.

Cheerio

lululee

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 543

When I install content from other sites or older content from the DAZ23D store, there may not be a tip file – sometime not even a product image file.  In those instances, I simply create an image file (usually from a promo image, sometimes from a quick rendered image) that is a larger size, name it according the dsx file, and save it in my  Runtime/Support folder.

Even for content that has a product file and a tip file, I may still want larger.  In those cases, I also create an image file (usually from a promo image) that is a larger size, name it according the dsx file, and save it in place of the default product image file and tip file (if there is one) in my  Runtime/Support folder.

The same is true if I like a promo image better than the prepackaged product image.

Below are three examples.

Old DAZ3D product.jpg
    1043 x 1040 - 316K
    Recent DAZ3D product.jpg
    954 x 1040 - 286K
    Renderosity product.jpg
    885 x 976 - 244K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,652

You can also make your own tip files, just render and then save it to the parropriate folder,  and they are handy when you are looking for details in a scene sometimes. 512x512 are good.   But you can go larger.