DAZ Crashing Like Crazy While Rendering

Hiya guys!

So, usually, I don't bother posting in any forums but I am at wits end with this issue. I seem to be having this huge problem for the past two days where all of my Iray renders are coming out black or completely crashing Daz Studio. Currently, I'm trying to un/reinstall Daz, but after trying this on the Install Manager, Daz Studio does not return to my list. I need to reinstall Daz Studio, so is there some sort of exe I can get somewhere? 

Here are the other steps I've tried so far to fix this crashing and black renders issue:

• Rebuilt scene from scratch
  • Retexturize from scratch
  • Reset render settings
  • Check CPU box—renders will finish as black 
  • Check/Uncheck CPU fall off box
  • Create new cameras
  • Check only CPU box
  • Check only 2 video cards
  • Check CPU box and 2 video cards box
  • Check CPU and 1 video card
  • Deleting temp files in Daz
  • Deleting cache in Daz 
  • Updating graphics card driver
  • Hiding/Removing certain objects from the scene
  • Test render with just a figure and camera—sometimes crash, sometimes black, it worked normally TWICE
  • Save parts as scene subset and put into a blank scene

I am only running Daz, or whatever program I am using at the time. My renders are working fine in Poser and Blender, strangely. I have no problems in any of my games with the textures on Ultra. I have not recently added any components or hardware to my existing set up. I have only installed two games in Steam recently, and haven't uninstalled anything other than Install Manager.

My system is: 

• Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
  • Intel 10-Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 
  • 2 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video cards
  • 32 GB DDR4 memory
  • 2 TB Hard Drive

I have 3 of these computers and have tried Daz on the others. It seems to be the same issue to varying degrees. Is there a way to reinstall Daz Studio via zip file or some other exe, as it is not coming up in my Install Manager when I un/reinstall it. The crash message will usually say: DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module blah-blah-blah, a very long code that I can't recreate currently because I do not have Daz installed. Any assistance or advice while I wait on Tech Support would be great! Thanks, and have a wonderful day.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,318
    edited June 7

For "black issue", DS log may be helpful for identifying the culprit 'cause in most case, such issue results from that you run out of VRAM. Better attach you DS log in here.

For "crash issue", it's not easy to diagnose... lack of RAM, faulty assets, driver issue, graphic card defect / failure, etc. may bring you DS crash.

So, a step by step trouble-shooting might be needed... with a process of elimination.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

From what I can see RTX 2060 has 6GB VRAM, which is not much for Iray rendering.

So running out of VRAM could definitely be a factor for some of the black renders if CPU fallback wasn't enabled.

• DeemagicKDeemagicK Posts: 4

Is there a way to get a crash log now?

Again, Daz is not on my computer anymore as I was trying to un/reinstall it, and it's not showing in Install Manager and not showing on my list of installed apps.

First, I'm trying to find another way to reinstall Daz other than the Install Manager.

I have 2 of the RTX 2060's for 12GB total.

And my scenes/renders were working just fine until two days ago when they started crashing Daz or coming out black.

Thanks, guys

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406
    edited June 7

No, that's not 12GB total, that's 6GB on each card. DS doesn't pool VRAM unless you use SLI (and only for textures), and AFAIK 2060 doesn't have SLI.

edit: DS log file should be accessible from %AppData%\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 under Windows, I don't think uninstalling removes it.

And you should be able to download an installer for manual install of the general release from the Product Library in "My account" section of the site (search for "4.x" in the product list). Betas can only be installed via DIM.

Post edited by Leana on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,318

I quote from what Richard mentions from time to time - "re-installing Daz Studio won't help..."

Though you have 12GB physical RAM with two cards, don't forget that your scene and Iray Render Engine (appr. 2GB VRAM) both consume VRAM... more or less you probably only have around 8 GB left. And if total VRAM consumption fails to fit in one of your card, you might have black screen.

You may find DS Log from DS menu : Help - Troubleshooting - View Log File....

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,561

crosswind said:

I quote from what Richard mentions from time to time - "re-installing Daz Studio won't help..."

Though you have 12GB physical RAM with two cards, don't forget that your scene and Iray Render Engine (appr. 2GB VRAM) both consume VRAM... more or less you probably only have around 8 GB left. And if total VRAM consumption fails to fit in one of your card, you might have black screen.

You may find DS Log from DS menu : Help - Troubleshooting - View Log File....

As Leana says, RAM is not pooled. Also, one card failing (if they had different capacities) would not stop the other from continuing.

Bright blessings, and many thanks, to everyone who took the time to consider my post. I definitely appreciate the information about the location for the manual installation executables, as this appears to have rectified the problem with the scenes in question after having been able to completely uninstall and reinstall Studio. I also appreciate the information about how memory management works for multi-GPU configurations, I am looking into what scripts or utilities I can leverage to enhance my awareness of how much RAM is being consumed throughout the set design phase of my scenes to more aggressively and proactively manage system resources to work within this memory limitation. My Iray viewport and rendering functionality is restored now and I hope that you all can have a similarly great day overcoming obstacles and making trouble-free renders! ~~(>'_')> ¡RENDERS! <('_'<)~~ Thanks again.