if 4060 16G can make the workflow smooth?

kyoreonakyoreona Posts: 158
Hello everyone, I have a question about computer hardware. I'm looking to buy a new computer soon, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good configuration. I'm looking for a graphics card with a 4060TI and 16GB of memory. I also want 32GB of RAM at 6400Mhz. CPU I5-14400 I usually need a scene, four clothed characters, and some props when I create. I pay close attention to the smoothness of operations before the final render, such as importing models, moving models, and adjusting character poses. I really dislike when the screen freezes up when performing these operations. I wonder if the above hardware configuration can solve this pain point?
Post edited by kyoreona on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,528

The GPU only contributes to renders and dForce simulations, so it won't help with loading models, for example. Either way, I'd go for a minimum of 64GB of RAM.

• kyoreonakyoreona Posts: 158
    Gordig said:

The GPU only contributes to renders and dForce simulations, so it won't help with loading models, for example. Either way, I'd go for a minimum of 64GB of RAM.

You mean 32 gigabytes isn't enough? Do you need 64GB of RAM? I usually only have four dressed characters in a scene, and the size of these models should not exceed 10g
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,528

I have 128GB, and sometimes even that doesn't feel like enough. The general guidance is to have 2-3x the VRAM capacity for RAM, so 32GB of RAM for a 16GB VRAM GPU would be pushing it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823

16GB's of RAM is way too little - With 16GB's one would be using virtual memory (glacially slow disk space) to compensate, which means that the computer will be crawling at best.
    If one is getting a 16GB GPU, I would recommend getting 64GB's of RAM.

• kyoreonakyoreona Posts: 158
    PerttiA said:

16GB's of RAM is way too little - With 16GB's one would be using virtual memory (glacially slow disk space) to compensate, which means that the computer will be crawling at best.
    If one is getting a 16GB GPU, I would recommend getting 64GB's of RAM.

I'm sorry I typed wrong just now. Actually, I was going to buy 32 gigabytes of memory. My typical creation scene only has 4 characters wearing clothes, and even then you recommend that I configure 64 gigabytes of memory?
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823

When I was still using RTX 2070 super (8GB card), I did some testing for VRAM and RAM usage.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8577486/#Comment_8577486