"free gift, just for you, no purchase necessary"

But where? 

Comments

• savagestugsavagestug Posts: 169

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,388
    edited June 21

Just in case you miss it, click the shop now button....

free.jpg
    2730 x 1602 - 483K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • windli3356windli3356 Posts: 230

ah~ I wish the UI is less chaotic and confusing, thanks. 

So all legacy items. 

• theflarftheflarf Posts: 139

Seems somewhat disingenious to have the 'free gift' with something relatively new on the banner at the top, but then when you scroll to find the link (and the actual banner for it) it's nothing newer than Gen2

It's not even 'legacy' at this point it's borderline 'ancient' content, that point where it might not even be worth the effort of scrolling and finding something even though it's free

• jd641jd641 Posts: 454

Funny or sad I don't know but out of the 1183 items listed, there's probably nothing there I want. I scrolled through a bunch of pages already and I didn't feel like I needed a second look at anything listed so far, so free or not I'll just let this go.

• ElorElor Posts: 1,144

I don't know how well they convert to iRay, but they are a couple of nice environnements by Danie and marforno in the selection.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 754

I picked some musical instrument props -- yeah, they're not the freshest, but when they're far enough in the background, I doubt it will matter. Trying to figure out what to do for the second one... so much V4/M4. Given I started on G9 last fall, not really my jam.

• MazhMazh Posts: 485

Also thought of the DM items, when you understand Iray shaders and play a bit with bump maps/ strength or roughness/ reflections.

The texture maps are mostly good.

• ElorElor Posts: 1,144

SilverGirl said:

I picked some musical instrument props -- yeah, they're not the freshest, but when they're far enough in the background, I doubt it will matter. Trying to figure out what to do for the second one... so much V4/M4. Given I started on G9 last fall, not really my jam.

If you're looking for props, there is the Video Camera by Age of Armour:

https://www.daz3d.com/professional-video-camera

Age of Armour provided a couple of free accessories for the camera:

https://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/free/video-camera-accessories.php

I don't have the camera and I don't know how well it'll convert to Iray but the accessories look nice.

They are also a couple of weapons, stands, etc.

Mazh said:

Also thought of the DM items, when you understand Iray shaders and play a bit with bump maps/ strength or roughness/ reflections.

Do you have tutorials on the subject: with simples objects, I usually understand what I'm doing, but as an example, I still don't know how to get textured glass (like the one in the Medieval Dock) to have transparent glassy surfaces and opaque the metalic ones.

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 803

They had some really nice outfits back then and now that I have Clothing Converter Genesis to genesis 8 I can use them. I have wanted several of them for a long time.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,531

SY has done V3/M3 to G8F/M autofit clones, so the early clothing can be used. It's remarkable how much better even the early stuff can look in Iray - and while the modelling was not as good, frequently the imagination was wilder.

Regards,

Richard

edited June 21

@Elor

If this is just about having a nice stained/ leaded glass effect, I would use a commercial shader product from the shop.

If you want to have a specific one from an old product, you can use a texture map in the shader. Like for opacity a matching b/w map where white is max opaque and black is max transparent - but of course you can also use like fifty shades of grey for different grades of transparency/ opacity - same goes for metallicity or reflection e.g.

Post edited by Mazh on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 754

Elor said:

If you're looking for props, there is the Video Camera by Age of Armour:

https://www.daz3d.com/professional-video-camera

Age of Armour provided a couple of free accessories for the camera:

https://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/free/video-camera-accessories.php

I don't have the camera and I don't know how well it'll convert to Iray but the accessories look nice.

They are also a couple of weapons, stands, etc.

I've admired those cameras in a couple of these freebie things... they're so well made, but the proboem is I have absolutely no use for them.

I wound up going with the Daydream sundress... it's a basic enough cut that I think I can reuse it for a few things (including kids, when the age utility I'm waiting for comes out) if I throw some shaders at it, and the little heart pillow and the necklace might be useful for something, too. 

edited June 21

@Elor

Sorry, have to correct that, with these glass surfaces it's not about the opacity, but about glossy color and roughness (and bump of course), used the Iray "glass thin clear" shader and took the original diffuse and glass_t maps here.

Glass_Thin_Shader.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Mazh on
  • Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 508
    edited June 22

I sometimes run into folks who still work primarily with Gen 2, or V4 and M4, so I imagine this is a nice little gift for them and perhaps a trip down memory lane for the rest of us.

I'll probably pick up the video camera as well. It will probably look better than the one I ported over from 3D Warehouse (back when that was possible).

EDIT: Aw, what a nice prop! Thanks, Daz!

Camera Prop in Alley

Person holding professional video camera

Video Camera Alley.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M
    Video Camera Alley2.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M
    Post edited by Blando Calrissian on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

I never complain about freebies. If I can't find anything I want, I pass - quietly. LOL

• No complaint here. For free, I can always find something that could be fun from a decently large cross-genre assortment, even if they're a little old.

I complain about freebies but only in silence for myself surprisewink

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205
    edited June 21

I normally don't use that old items, but when Daz decided to offer them free, I found 2 outfits, and fitted them to G8, and simulated some parts.

V4_BloodBound_G1_FloweringDragon_G8.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by felis on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

..yeah if there wee more props and sets id be interested. Pretty much sitting fine with G3/G8. have what I want/need for G2. and have the autofit clones.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

I picked up two very nice outfits for Genesis1. The quality of the modelling was evident in the zipper details, and applying iray shaders is always a quick and easy process. 

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,115
    Subsurface Toon Shaders

3Delight, but promos look as good as some Iray toons, and the required base product is included with the DS 4.x bundle, so perhaps worth grabbing as a free gift to mess around with at some point.
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,457
    edited June 21

Nothing in the "Just for you" list excited me, but I went to the normal "freebies" page and picked up a couple of things.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,186

I got a couple outfits. I say, "Thanks Daz"

• emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 580

Thank you Daz for the free gifts!:)

• Yeah I picked up a couple of outfits too, Gen 1. Applied shaders and they look like pretty decent options for future use. So thanks Daz :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

I was glad to get the Genesis Hand poses. I think that can be converted to be used on G3/G8/G9.

• I got Melody Hair, I often go for older hairs as they are so easy to use on later (& earlier) generations, transmapped is easy on memory, and they take well to Iray hair shaders. For the second I picked up Fantasy Separates Vol. 3. I have the gen4 to G3 RSSY converter and I know it works on this outfit since it is in the converter promos.  (This converter works well and everything I've converted also autofits nicely to G8.)

I also seriously considered the 2 SF helicopter type vehicles but didn't have any use for them. I will keep them in mind (& wishlist) since items often reappear in free & super-discounted selections.

• 3DmentiaNull3DmentiaNull Posts: 127

One way I respond to free stuff is to take a chance and choose an item that, like any purchase, you don't know if you'll like it, and of course, it's older stuff. But I use a lot of legacy hair and went with that this time cause of trying to make hair look good in animated realtime Filament view - trying to guess if the hair opacity culling won't be too bad. And it's interesting to see so many items I've already paid for, mostly legacy hair, then realising that even with my memory, I recognise every last item in the offer! I think I've spent too much time pouring through the Daz cataloglaughAnyway, thanks Daz! I appreciate it. / peace

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

FirstBastion said:

I picked up two very nice outfits for Genesis1. The quality of the modelling was evident in the zipper details, and applying iray shaders is always a quick and easy process. 

a fragile test