Stop with the geoshell and strand based hair obsession PLEASE

2»

Comments

• milliethegreatmilliethegreat Posts: 278

millie7640

thats my discord handle 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

I'm the same user name on there, so we can take this off the forums.

Thanks for gordig for your help and I'll consult you if I need anything else related to this. Unrelated question if I may. If anyone can help with this. The hands and feet of my characters are crumpled up when imported into unreal using the latest dtu on GitHub. I opened an issue on GitHub and posted a screenshot simply saying a description of what happened but no one responded. Before you even ask I didn't "complain". I actually kept my question brief. If anyone here has any advice or help please feel free to share 

For reference, this is what the OP's character looks like after the bridge:

I just got the bridge working myself, and haven't had the same problem, but I'm not sure what accounts for that. It might be as simple as making sure that all the files from the latest GitHub version go where they're supposed to be. I just copied the entire DaztoUnreal folder from the zip to the DS plugins folder (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins, or whatever the corresponding location would be if you have it installed to a non-default location), and if dzunrealbridge.dll is in the main plugins folder, delete it. I also copy the entire folder to the Unreal plugins location (for me, N:\Unreal\UE_5.4\Engine\Plugins).

Delete not overwrite? Is there a difference. Cause overwrite doesn't change anything and deleting the old DLL and installing the new one removes the plugin from Daz 

I did delete any files. I overwrote both the unreal files and the Daz DLL. Was i supposed to uninstall the plugin from unreal delete the files. Restart unreal close it install the new files reopen it? Haven't tried it yet. If so what about the DLL?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,269
    edited June 24
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Dark45Dark45 Posts: 75
    edited June 24

Wow, a lot to unpack in this thread lol.

SHB works really great in Unreal. I have come to love SBH a lot even though there were growing pains. You can bring it into blender or get the .abc export for Daz and export SBH for use in Unreal's Groom hair. As for Geoshells and Geografts. You will need to spend time to learn in blender how to use diffeomorphic to add that as geometry. There are actually several ways of doing a lot that is said in this thread.

No offense, but if you ( OP ) can't be bothered to spend the time and money to get the pipeline and workflow for such an endeavor as making an Unreal game, then I have a hard time believing why you are attempting this. I commend you as I always support creativity but sometimes to do this does take a bit of money, time, and effort.

Early in this thread Zbrush was mentioned. This is a must have tool for Daz... like MUST have if you plan to sculpt, make JCM's, etc., it's fabulous and Maxon in general is such a good company to support. You could use blender as a free option for sculpting but it's more complicated. If Zbrush is too expensive and you cannot be bothered to get such an incredible software, how are you buying all of the interactive licenses you need to bring daz assets into Unreal? Assuming you plan on selling this game and aren't just learning stuff, if you are just learning then you don't need that. But if you go to sell anything that contains the actual asset like an Unreal game, you will have to buy the interactive license for every single asset you use in Unreal.

Not to mention the upfront cost of each asset from the daz shop. Since you don't seem to want zbrush and don't seem to know blender, I assume you are getting all of your assets via the shop or Unreals Market.

I don't know, just a lot of conflicting things in this thread.

Anyway, with all that said. There has been some good info for you ( OP ) in this thread, I would listen to these guys as they seem to know their stuff. Shoutout to @Gordig for his continued support on these forums, always helpful. As far as Geoshells, Grafts, and SBH... this is Daz, this is how we have to do these custom things to keep the model working yet adding more dynamics to a genesis model. SBH IMO has become one of the better "free" hair creation tools, if not the best once you truely learn it's workings. If this isn't per your liking, then there are other models to use other than Genesis, you could even create your own and rig in daz if you wanted but blender would be the obvious bet there.

You've mentioned that you are just beginning your journey so the key is to have patience, eventually, everything falls into place. I've been doing this for 4 years and still learn something new every day and I'm sure several 3D artists that have been doing it much longer than me will say the same thing. With you just starting, you have a long journey ahead of you. There will be frustration, there will be heartbreak, but at the end of all of the stress and figuring out, there is also satisfaction and triumph.

EDIT : I just wanted to say real quick as well. When I make something meant for Daz's ecosystem, taking that into Unreal is a secondary thought of mine. It's not intended for Unreal however being able to bring stuff from Daz into Unreal is a great thing, it's just not my intention as the creator. Maybe a bit of a saucy take, but if you do want Unreal assets that are meant for that purpose, you are always welcome to create them yourself or find assets meant specifically for Unreal.

Post edited by Dark45 on
  • charlescharles Posts: 810
    edited June 24

geoshells rock, you won't find anything equivilant to them in other sysems as easily. You can always goto Blender and bake your layers skin layers if you want. or even re bake them in Substance. You can export your shells along with your characters from Daz as one.Which in doing so, you can make some pretty cool stuff that you can share between characters, like sandy covered covered beach character shells, to sweat, to well you use your squishy matter to figure out.

Post edited by charles on

I should note that I've been helping the OP out on Discord, so posts on the forums will not necessarily reflect the current state of play. I've talked them through using the Layered Image Editor, so now they can combine all the geoshells they need.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

charles said:

geoshells rock, you won't find anything equivilant to them in other sysems as easily. 

Well, which is exactly the problem. ;-) 

Dark45 said:

Wow, a lot to unpack in this thread lol.

SHB works really great in Unreal. I have come to love SBH a lot even though there were growing pains. You can bring it into blender or get the .abc export for Daz and export SBH for use in Unreal's Groom hair. As for Geoshells and Geografts. You will need to spend time to learn in blender how to use diffeomorphic to add that as geometry. There are actually several ways of doing a lot that is said in this thread.

No offense, but if you ( OP ) can't be bothered to spend the time and money to get the pipeline and workflow for such an endeavor as making an Unreal game, then I have a hard time believing why you are attempting this. I commend you as I always support creativity but sometimes to do this does take a bit of money, time, and effort.

Early in this thread Zbrush was mentioned. This is a must have tool for Daz... like MUST have if you plan to sculpt, make JCM's, etc., it's fabulous and Maxon in general is such a good company to support. You could use blender as a free option for sculpting but it's more complicated. If Zbrush is too expensive and you cannot be bothered to get such an incredible software, how are you buying all of the interactive licenses you need to bring daz assets into Unreal? Assuming you plan on selling this game and aren't just learning stuff, if you are just learning then you don't need that. But if you go to sell anything that contains the actual asset like an Unreal game, you will have to buy the interactive license for every single asset you use in Unreal.

Not to mention the upfront cost of each asset from the daz shop. Since you don't seem to want zbrush and don't seem to know blender, I assume you are getting all of your assets via the shop or Unreals Market.

I don't know, just a lot of conflicting things in this thread.

Anyway, with all that said. There has been some good info for you ( OP ) in this thread, I would listen to these guys as they seem to know their stuff. Shoutout to @Gordig for his continued support on these forums, always helpful. As far as Geoshells, Grafts, and SBH... this is Daz, this is how we have to do these custom things to keep the model working yet adding more dynamics to a genesis model. SBH IMO has become one of the better "free" hair creation tools, if not the best once you truely learn it's workings. If this isn't per your liking, then there are other models to use other than Genesis, you could even create your own and rig in daz if you wanted but blender would be the obvious bet there.

You've mentioned that you are just beginning your journey so the key is to have patience, eventually, everything falls into place. I've been doing this for 4 years and still learn something new every day and I'm sure several 3D artists that have been doing it much longer than me will say the same thing. With you just starting, you have a long journey ahead of you. There will be frustration, there will be heartbreak, but at the end of all of the stress and figuring out, there is also satisfaction and triumph.

EDIT : I just wanted to say real quick as well. When I make something meant for Daz's ecosystem, taking that into Unreal is a secondary thought of mine. It's not intended for Unreal however being able to bring stuff from Daz into Unreal is a great thing, it's just not my intention as the creator. Maybe a bit of a saucy take, but if you do want Unreal assets that are meant for that purpose, you are always welcome to create them yourself or find assets meant specifically for Unreal.

im not making a game im doing still images. For things like posters and such  

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

The need for geoshells is because iray can't use multiple uv maps in one material, so it needs an overlayed geometry for that aka geoshell. For example, with diffeomorphic a geoshell is converted to a material layer with no duplicate geometry, because blender can use multiple uv maps per material. This is another advantage of exporting to blender.

As for game engines though, you may encounter the same limitation that the game engine can't use multiple uv maps per material. In this case you have to export the geoshell as a geometry layer.

Padone said:

The need for geoshells is because iray can't use multiple uv maps in one material, so it needs an overlayed geometry for that aka geoshell. For example, with diffeomorphic a geoshell is converted to a material layer with no duplicate geometry, because blender can use multiple uv maps per material. This is another advantage of exporting to blender.

As for game engines though, you may encounter the same limitation that the game engine can't use multiple uv maps per material. In this case you have to export the geoshell as a geometry layer.

how do i do that?