Scripts and favorites menus have redundancy that is hidden? [Solved]

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

Scripts and favorites menus have redundancy that is hidden?

I moved my My Daz3D Library to another drive and ever since then links are broken in my scripts and favorites menu.

I delete the scripts and favorites and they are gone and when I add the script again, it says, the script is already there and it places a script that does not work or have an icon accompanying it.

How do I delete the scripts Iand favorites) that are somehow hidden and locked in memory?

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

Is there a way to clear the custom actions without having to delete a thousand of them manually?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,262
    edited June 22

Where did you delete them, by pressing F3 and deleting them in Menu tab on the right ?

Firstly pls be noted that:
    - Custom Actions created by users are defined with relative paths in terms of the locations of user-facing files (DUF, DSA, DSE, etc...) but the locations of their custom Icons are defined with absolute paths.
    - Custom Actions created by Scripts (normally in certain products) are defined with both absolute paths in terms of locations of user-facing files as well as Icons.
    - All Custom Actions are linked to menu items (under Scripts / Favorites) and toolbar items through a GUID (aka : Name of the Custom Actions)

Then when you move the library to another drive, then the drive letter of My Daz3D Library changes (let's say from D: to E:). So normally you have two options:

- Before launching DS, change D: on the original drive to another letter, change E: on the new drive to D:. In this way, you'll have nothing lost in Scripts / Favorites menu.
    - if you cannot go for the above option, before launching DS, open the file "customactions.dsx" in folder: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4 ( and %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build, if you also use Public Build), replace D:\My Daz3D Library with E:\My Daz3D Library.

Of course, technically you can batch delete Custom Actions in this file but it's not really recommended as you have to be very cautious to the syntax when modifying the file, and have to further deal with the files : menu.dsx and toolbars.dsx, or further delete menu items / toolbar items in F3...because deletion won't be synchronized.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301
    edited June 22

crosswind said:

Where did you delete them, by pressing F3 and deleting them in Menu tab on the right ?

Firstly pls be noted that:
    - Custom Actions created by users are defined with relative paths in terms of the locations of user-facing files (DUF, DSA, DSE, etc...) but the locations of their custom Icons are defined with absolute paths.
    - Custom Actions created by Scripts (normally in certain products) are defined with both absolute paths in terms of locations of user-facing files as well as Icons.
    - All Custom Actions are linked to menu items (under Scripts / Favorites) and toolbar items through a GUID (aka : Name of the Custom Actions)

Then when you move the library to another drive, then the drive letter of My Daz3D Library changes (let's say from D: to E:). So normally you have two options:

- Before launching DS, change D: on the original drive to another letter, change E: on the new drive to D:. In this way, you'll have nothing lost in Scripts / Favorites menu.
    - if you cannot go for the above option, before launching DS, open the file "customactions.dsx" in folder: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4 ( and %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build, if you also use Public Build), replace D:\My Daz3D Library with E:\My Daz3D Library.

Of course, technically you can batch delete Custom Actions in this file but it's not really recommended as you have to be very cautious to the syntax when modifying the file, and have to further deal with the files : menu.dsx and toolbars.dsx, or further delete menu items / toolbar items in F3...because deletion won't be synchronized.

There was a huge list of "custom" scripts listed on the left in a dropdown menu under the word custom. I right clicked on each script link and deleted them manually. That fixed my issue, now I can re-add them without it using the old path. Renaming the drive is a nice tip but I have other Daz directories on the old drive that wouold get disconnected and possibly create other issues.

Deleting the custom script links on the left pane did it.    

Thank you for your insight, it is all good info for sure! 

Post edited by RexRed on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,262

Oh, man ~~ I ever did the same thing before... like you did, deleted them one by one. Then I realized that turned out to be too cumbersome. All tricks are in the configuration files...

Anyway, problem solved ! yes