Collision and Poke Through Question...

Heyas gang,

So I'm doing some designs and scenes in Daz 4.22 and I'm running into a couple issues.  I'm doing a fight between a Genisis 8 character and Horror of the Deep and as I am posing the tentacles I keep getting poke-through and I was curious if there is a way to turn an option on or off that stops things passing through one another?  I want to get this as good as possible and though I am new to Daz, Is there a way to stop things passing through eachother.  Same with trying to sit a figure in a chair or on a dais or the llike.  Thanks for any advice and happy rendering!

DGS2

Comments

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,701

It doesn't prevent on object passing through another, but you can use a smoothing modifier to set a collision - It's normally used for clothes to prevent pokethrough from the wearer, but can also be used to morph the legs while sitting on a hard chair, or the cushion of a chair to interact with the legs. You can only set one collision item per object though, so you can't have a shirt collide with a figure AND with the pants they're wearing.

Edit - Figure - Add smoothing modifier (I forget the exact words). Then in the properties pane, you can set the collision item and level.

This may or may not be what you need for your purpose. Basically, it makes small movements of a mesh to prevent pokethrough, but doesn't stop one character's arm from being embedded in another's chest, as a random, non-specific, example.

• gundamrygundamry Posts: 11

Cool, thanks a lot for the advice, it helped a LOT!!  If I may be so bold, I have a couple more questions....

Lighting... seems to be my bane, I install a light source (from the basic Daz set) and even going to a million Lumens, I gett no lighting at all, from any type of light.  Every once in a while one of the several lights I try to use will work but none of the others.  I make sure to have it turned On and white light color, and I'm wondering if it's a bug or something. 

Second question is if it's possible to put G8 outfits onto G3 figures and make them fit properly?  I have some scripts specificly for G3F but I perfer to use my already built G8F actors.  Is that something that can be done or am I at the mercy of what's available per Figure/ Actor and Scripts?

Thanks a ton for your help and I hope I'm not being too much of a noob or a bother.  Have a great day!

DGS2

There are various converter products to go between different generations (clothes, hair, characters, etc). For example: https://www.daz3d.com/clothing-converter-from-genesis-8-female-to-genesis-3-female and https://daz3d.com/clothing-converter-from-genesis-8-male-to-genesis-3-male convert clothes from Genesis 8 to 3 (female and male, respectively).

A store search for 'converter' throws up 4 pages to sift through if you want pose/hair-converters too.

Lighting - not sure. I tend to use HDRI or emissive surfaces rather than Daz default lights. Perhaps someone with more expertise there can weigh in.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,217

Silent Winter said:

You can only set one collision item per object though, so you can't have a shirt collide with a figure AND with the pants they're wearing.

@Silent Winter: 

I found this free script at sharecg, but never downloaded or used it, so i can't rate it, but it seems to address the problem you describe.

https://sharecg.com/v/98933/related/21/DAZ-Studio/Collision-target-creation-script%21

mding said:

Silent Winter said:

You can only set one collision item per object though, so you can't have a shirt collide with a figure AND with the pants they're wearing.

@Silent Winter: 

I found this free script at sharecg, but never downloaded or used it, so i can't rate it, but it seems to address the problem you describe.

https://sharecg.com/v/98933/related/21/DAZ-Studio/Collision-target-creation-script%21

Cool, thanks :)

Looks like this is a workaround by exporting multiple objects and importing them as a single object (so you'd collide skirt with shirt, and then collide skirt-shirt with figure). Only this does the export/import with one click - Neat!