No Men's Clothing?

2»

Comments

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 756

I started after G9's release, so for me it just made the most sense to start with the latest release. I do like that poses are universal. My best pair of jeans/jean shorts comes out of an outoftouch set promo'ed on women, but I use them for everybody. There are a few other clothing items like that. So personally I do think having one base form makes sense. I don't think the base idea can be faulted for where it went from there, but I do think Daz could help correct it by sponsoring (or however that works) more DO's that are modeled on masc forms.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368

Tobias said:

This is a subject that pops up every once in a while and the answers are always the same.  

With G9 we were told that having a single 'androgynous' form would encourage PAs to do clothing that would work for both male and female (and why the clothes would cost more) and we can see how well that turned out.  When G9 was originally released the clothes in the essentials pack for the masculine form didn't even fit the masculine form, not to mention the 'masculine' poses provided were just not masculine.  Very indicative of how much of a rat's rear end DAZ gives about the male characters and the people who use them.

We were told it also with the original Genesis, it didn't particularly work then either. 

• ReneWReneW Posts: 134

mal3Imagery said:

melanie said:

I've noticed that, ever since we've moved into Genesis 9, there's very little men's clothing other than a lot of swimwear. My Genesis 9 guys want more clothes. They can't wear swimwear to the office. There's tons of women's clothes, but I keep looking for more clothes made for my Genesis 9 men and all I get is disappointment. Sure they can wear the clothes from Genesis 8, but I'm tired of those things because my G8 guys wore them so much. I would like some clothes for my G9 men that don't need to be autofitted to them. Please, please, please, clothing designers, make some mainstream clothes for my G9 guys. And things other than battle armor. They're getting jealous of their G9 women who get lots of things to wear. Please, please, please!!!

Oh I hear yah... the dream to do this full time, I have so many men outfit planned, just not enough time to make em.  Making them / release is gonna go to a crawl.

I have several of your G8 male clothes and will definately buy any G9 male clothes you make. 

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,213

paulawp (marahzen) said:

mal3Imagery said:

melanie said:

I've noticed that, ever since we've moved into Genesis 9, there's very little men's clothing other than a lot of swimwear. My Genesis 9 guys want more clothes. They can't wear swimwear to the office. There's tons of women's clothes, but I keep looking for more clothes made for my Genesis 9 men and all I get is disappointment. Sure they can wear the clothes from Genesis 8, but I'm tired of those things because my G8 guys wore them so much. I would like some clothes for my G9 men that don't need to be autofitted to them. Please, please, please, clothing designers, make some mainstream clothes for my G9 guys. And things other than battle armor. They're getting jealous of their G9 women who get lots of things to wear. Please, please, please!!!

Oh I hear yah... the dream to do this full time, I have so many men outfit planned, just not enough time to make em.  Making them / release is gonna go to a crawl.

Well, when they show up in the store, I'll buy them. 

+1 

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    Protozoon said:

I'll put G9 office wear on my todo list :)

-P-

NewGuy said:

I will also see what I can do about supporting some more male/unisex everyday clothing in the future.  Will be a while though as I have a bunch of projects on the go.  

YES PLEASE. I SHALL WAIT FOR U GUYS.
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,185

Male clothes sell, but not as well as female clothes, and for some PA's, the difference is large enough to make a difference between paying their bills or not.
    Another thing to consider: the technologies for putting clothes on our figures in Daz isn't really ideal for "regular male clothing". It just isn't.

Starting with the worst solution: geoshells. Just no, it will look painted, and won't compare even remotely to the regular clothing that's available for females.
    Second there's the usual rigged clothing. These do okay, but sometimes suffer from stretching, and folds within the clothin are troublesome, because the may end up going in the wrong direction.
    Third, there's dForce. It's great for female clothing, but trickier for male clothing

The problem is, that male clothing is tight, but not skintight (except for eighties metalbands). Female clothing is generally either skintight (making it perfectly suitable for either geoshelling or rigging) or somewhat wider, making it perfect for dForce draping. Male clothing is somewhere inbetween. The fabric of male clothing is also slightly stiffer, so it drapes different from softer garments that are generally used in dresses. Getting those dForce settings right for correct folding, stretching and draping just is hard. Of all the male outfits I've bought over the past years, only a handful have pants that turn out right in a variety of poses. Most only look okay when standing, some seem too tight, but do turn out decent in some sitting poses.

So, don't make the mistake thinking male clothing is easier to make because their designs seem less elaborate than female clothing. It's quite the opposite of that, the simpler design makes it easier to notice flaws, and preventing those specific flaws is hard because Studio isn't really designed with their cause in mind.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,605

I own most of the men's clothing, and it's very sparse for Genesis 9.

I don't think unisex works well for me, as oftentimes, women's clothing on men looks high-waisted or doesn't fit properly. I'd much rather have the split like Genesis 8, which I use more than 9 anyway.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited June 30

I also own a lot of clothing from many generations and a heads up, the auto-fitting of old clothing from prior versions of Genesis/M4/V4 is better with G9 and newer versions of DAZ if you follow the auto-fit up the chain of Genesis generations all the way to G9. At least in my somewhat more limited usage than I used in G3 and G8. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171

I also own a lot of clothing from many generations and a heads up, the auto-fitting of old clothing from prior versions of Genesis/M4/V4 is better with G9 and newer versions of DAZ if you follow the auto-fit up the chain of Genesis generations all the way to G9. At least in my somewhat more limited usage than I used in G3 and G8. 

Good tip