Toolbar gone?

I didn't change anything (intentionally, I might have misclicked something, but then at the time I didn't notice any change), and there wasn't an update in DIM, yet my toolbar that was there yesterday is now gone. Nothing else from my layout tab setup and positioning has changed. I'm using 

Digging through the forums, I found that I could partially restore it by pressing F3, going to Workspaces->Advanced->Tools and right-clicking to enable them. But that doesn't restore all the buttons (stuff like new scene, merge into the scene, undo, redo etc. is still missing), so it feels like there has to be some other way I'm missing.

So, I came here, because you all are awesome, and I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,262
    edited June 27

If you have a latest saved layout, better try loading it. If not... I'm afraid you have to manually drag Actions to the Toolbar(s), again ~~

But new scene, merge... undo / redo etc. are all standard buttons on Main toolbar as default, you better dlb-check in F3 - Tool Bars tab - Main... and see if it's Enabled in Activities tabl.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,297
    edited June 27

I don't have the layout saved (because I never thought I'd need to—that's on me), so it looks like I'm out of luck. Lesson learned, though. As soon I'm hopefully done fixing it, I'm saving one!

To be honest, I never did anything in the Customizing section, and all that I have there now is "Tools" under advanced, screenshot attached. Not sure where from I'd be doing the dragging and dropping from, though. (Yes, I'm that clueless.)

Edit: I figured out dragging and dropping. I can do it under the toolbars section. The problem is that I can't add it under Advanced -> Toolbars -> Tools. If instead I choose "add new activity" it creates a whole new activity that adds the toolbars but wipes out all the other layout settings.

F3.png
    608 x 633 - 60K
    Post edited by joanna on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

Try reloading the default (City Liomits Lite, I think) layout - if you use the Import button at bottom-left in your screen shot you can elect to import just the toolbars, which should avoid messing up other chnages you may already have made.

Richard Haseltine said:

Try reloading the default (City Liomits Lite, I think) layout - if you use the Import button at bottom-left in your screen shot you can elect to import just the toolbars, which should avoid messing up other chnages you may already have made.

Thanks. I did go back to default, but it didn't give me any options for imports.

Now my toolbars are back (yay!), but things look slightly different (sliders), and "Open recent" from File menu is gone... I don't think I'll ever understand Daz as a software. No other one I have randomly deletes and disables default toolbars without some kind of major update (like "hey, now all your icons will be 3x the size and will sing you songs" kind of update).

Anyways, thank you, crosswind and Richard Haseltine for your help. Lesson learned and now I'll be saving layouts left and right. ;)

The Recent Files sub-menu was removed, in favour of the new New scene dialogue, but you can get it back with http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/actions/action_menu_submenu/start

edited June 28

Richard Haseltine said:

The Recent Files sub-menu was removed, in favour of the new New scene dialogue,

I wish I could understand the logic behind removing what seems to be an industry-standard feature (all software I own has it) in favor of something that is just a way for Daz to advertise their products or perhaps something that maybe a handful of people uses to some better way than having to do an extra click to create a new scene. (I might be wrong here; maybe the new feature is widely popular and something everyone wanted for some unknown to me reasons.)

but you can get it back with http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/actions/action_menu_submenu/start

Thanks, I appreciate you offering that, but this is way beyond my level of skill. I understand the code part only enough to understand that it does, indeed, might be creating a submenu, and the page itself doesn't offer anything else. It seems that to get that menu back I'd have to learn things going well beyond an average user is usually expected to know and do.

Post edited by joanna on

joanna said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The Recent Files sub-menu was removed, in favour of the new New scene dialogue,

I wish I could understand the logic behind removing what seems to be an industry-standard feature (all software I own has it) in favor of something that is just a way for Daz to advertise their products or perhaps something that maybe a handful of people uses to some better way than having to do an extra click to create a new scene. (I might be wrong here; maybe the new feature is widely popular and something everyone wanted for some unknown to me reasons.)

but you can get it back with http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/actions/action_menu_submenu/start

Thanks, I appreciate you offering that, but this is way beyond my level of skill. I understand the code part only enough to understand that it does, indeed, might be creating a submenu, and the page itself doesn't offer anything else. It seems that to get that menu back I'd have to learn things going well beyond an average user is usually expected to know and do.

Just download it (using the link above the code block) and run it (by double-click, for the General release, or by dragging into the Viewport, or by File>Merge, or by double-click in a content pane).

• Thank you very very much!!

Richard Haseltine said:

Just download it (using the link above the code block) and run it (by double-click, for the General release, or by dragging into the Viewport, or by File>Merge, or by double-click in a content pane).

Ooops, found this response in my drafts, unsent.

Thank you. It's so nice to have it back, I'll keep to myself all the comments about how Daz does things. But forum members make it all more bearable. Thank you again for your time.

joanna said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Ooops, found this response in my drafts, unsent.

Thank you. It's so nice to have it back, I'll keep to myself all the comments about how Daz does things. But forum members make it all more bearable. Thank you again for your time.

The script isn't by a forum member, however (or at least, not in the non-a-Daz-person sense)

Richard Haseltine said:

The script isn't by a forum member, however (or at least, not in the non-a-Daz-person sense)

But it's the forum members that made me aware of its existence. As I said, without forum, using Daz would be much more of a pain. But with forum, there's almost always someone who has an answer that remedies any of the software's shortcomings.