Using Other Content with DAZ Studio (Resolved)

ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 538

Hello,

I've combed through the various forums and am at a loss. I have some content that I obtained from a non-DAZ store and would like to use it with DAZ Studio. Is there a reference that I could use to import the files into DAZ Studio?

Thanks in advance and Apologies in advance if this was posted to the wrong forum.

Artsy

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067

The most important question is what formats does it come in, then is it rigged or static models or something non-modelled, such as materials?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,388
    edited June 29

Depending on the file format in the content that you bought, Daz supports importing OBJ, FBX, DAE... you can import these files into DS and assign texture maps provided in the content package to items' Surfaces accordingly.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 538
    edited June 29

I used to be a big poser fanatic. I got a lot of products off that other site and here, both worked in poser. I hung up my poser hat and have been a DAZ Studio fanatic for the last 8 years. I'd like to use the products I purchased previously with DAZ now. 

I have the products in zipped folder format going back to 2004. In the past there was a 'unzip and put in x folder' instructions for use with Poser. Is something similar for DAZ Studio? I'm really hoping so. I don't want to go back to poser.

Do that help at all?

Artsy

edited June 29

Daz Studio natively supports Poser format... You just extract Poser Content into the Runtime folder under your Daz Library (or a separate Daz Library only for Poser format...as you wish) .Then configure your Daz Library into Content Directory Manager - Poser Format, that'll do.

Then load Poser items from Content Library - Poser Formats...

SNAG-2024-6-29-112.png
    1192 x 749 - 83K
    SNAG-2024-6-29-113.png
    495 x 1294 - 78K
    Post edited by crosswind on
    edited June 29

What has me confused is the whole 'runtime' directory. I don't see one of those in my DAZ Studio. So I wasn't sure how to make the packages work with my DAZ Studio.

If my poser formats are in the following directory (F:\Users\(username)\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library) Then I use the 'my library' folder as the runtime folder or does the runtime folder get put in the 'My Library' folder?

Runtime folder is not shown under Daz Studio format....but only Poser Format.

And you should already have a Runtime sub-folder in "F:\Users\(username)\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library", check it there.

crosswind said:

And you should already have a Runtime sub-folder in "F:\Users\(username)\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library", check it there.

Found it! Thank you.

I'll see about getting my old poser stuff brushed off and see how much of it (if any) will work with DAZ Studio. 

Thanks again! 

You're welcome!
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 543

ArtsyDragon said:

crosswind said:

Found it! Thank you.

I'll see about getting my old poser stuff brushed off and see how much of it (if any) will work with DAZ Studio. 

Thanks again! 

I began buying from the Daz Studio stores (RuntimeDNA, DAZ3D) in 2008 and from the Poser stores (Content Paradise, Smith Micro, Renderosity) in 2009.  Almost all of my Poser content loads into Daz Studio (4.21).  Most of the issues that arise deal with using materials, lights and cameras because there are differences between how Daz Studio and Poser use them. Similarly, almost all of my Daz Studio content loads in Poser.

If I buy a Poser product in the DAZ3D store, I let DIM install it to my Daz Studio library; I don’t bother changing the install directory in DIM to a Poser content directory although I could with each install if I wanted to keep the two formats separate.  I have Daz Studio set to look for content in Daz Studio format and Poser format so it sees everything.  In Poser, I add the Daz Studio content library.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,067

crosswind said:

The Runtime folder doesn't appear at all, only specific folders in /Runtime/Libraries/ (some of which have different names in the Content Library pane and on disc)..

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

The Runtime folder doesn't appear at all, only specific folders in /Runtime/Libraries/ (some of which have different names in the Content Library pane and on disc)..

Yes, ...I meant that, to be exactly : shown and sorted by "different content type" within Runtime\Libraries.