DIM installing some stuff to cloud?

I bought a new computer recently, to make life easier with the 3rd party stuff in my runtime I transfered the whole of it over to the new computer. Then so DIM will understand what is and is not installed I re-installed all daz stuff for the genesisX line. MOST of it installed correctly to my 8tb internal hard drive, but a handful of things like Monique 8, insist on installing to the cloud. I uninstalled, re-installed a couple times, it keeps going back to the cloud. It also put several Genesis 3 characters on the cloud. I set DIM to recognize where the new runtime is and have it set to install there, I've installed other stuff and when I look at "Show Installed Files" it shows them on my drive. Even Monique 8 shows on my drive, but when I load her skins on a character they track back to the cloud instead of my drive. Looks like my core files for Genesis 8, both male and female, are also on the cloud as well as some core files for other base models. .

I am at a loss for what is going on. Maybe somebody knows about this? When I first turned the new computer on it wanted to save everything to the cloud. I had to re-learn how to set DIM to install on my HD and it has, except for these few things.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,525

More likely they were already in the cloud folder, which DIM won't (can't) touch from the old system - in which case, assuming you didn't transfer the database too, you might as well just delete those files.

• It is pulling the skins from the cloud and not my hard drive. That's the problem. Somehow the skin call keeps directing to the cloud files. I had guessed that maybe some of the files are leftovers from when it was trying to install everything in the cloud, but I can't figure out why it doesn't reset the connection link between the "add this skin" button, and where the skin is.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,992
    If a file is already in the cloud folder from a previous Daz Connect installation, it is always used, even if there is a more recent DIM installation.
  • barbult said:

If a file is already in the cloud folder from a previous Daz Connect installation, it is always used, even if there is a more recent DIM installation.

Ah, ok, I pulled the files off the cloud and put them into a folder in case I needed them. When I told dim to delete the files it was just "telling" itself they were gone, but they were still there in the cloud. I had noticed that before when I got the 8tb drive in and started installing stuff into that. My cloud was still whining that it was nearly full and I should buy more space, so I deleted a lot of the leftover files until it stopped. But I didn't know there was a preference for drawing from the cloud. I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the assistance. And that means I need to do a thorough cleaning of my cloud to make sure it's not drawing anything else from there.

What "cloud" are you talking about? We are talking about the Daz library "cloud" folder on your hard drive, where product files get put it you install from inside Daz Studio (that is called Daz Connect). That is just a folder on your hard drive. It is not storage somewhere else accessed over the internet. If you are talking about One Drive, or Google Drive or something like that, that is not what we are discussing here when we talk about files in the "cloud" being used in preference to DIM installations.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,525
    edited July 4

barbult said:

DS uses the relative path within the \data\cloud\1_SKU\ folder, otherwise the prsets would need to be different deepnding on installation method. So a scene or preset saved with the content installed through DS will work with the same content installed through DIM, and vice versa. If you mean that a Connect installation will be used over a DIM, then yes - if the database still knows about it (which is why I asked about moving the database over in my previous reply - if not then the files will be invisible to DS, and if there is no DIM install they will simply not be found).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbult said:

What "cloud" are you talking about? We are talking about the Daz library "cloud" folder on your hard drive, where product files get put it you install from inside Daz Studio (that is called Daz Connect). That is just a folder on your hard drive. It is not storage somewhere else accessed over the internet. If you are talking about One Drive, or Google Drive or something like that, that is not what we are discussing here when we talk about files in the "cloud" being used in preference to DIM installations.

When I first started up this computer it required I link up with my OneDrive cloud. From there everything I downloaded went into that cloud. When I installed a skin on a character I followed that path back to the originating folder where the skin was; it was in my OneDrive cloud. I finally figured out how to configure DIM to install things onto my hard drive and overlaid it onto the files transfered from the other computer.

• Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

DS uses the relative path within the \data\cloud\1_SKU\ folder, otherwise the prsets would need to be different deepnding on installation method. So a scene or preset saved with the content installed through DS will work with the same content installed through DIM, and vice versa. If you mean that a Connect installation will be used over a DIM, then yes - if the database still knows about it (which is why I asked about moving the database over in my previous reply - if not then the files will be invisible to DS, and if there is no DIM install they will simply not be found).

What I did was transfer the runtime folder over to the new computer (so that the 3rd party stuff would be installed already and not need to be hand-installed again) - then I used DIM to reinstall all the DAZ files. At first it was putting them into my OneDrive cloud; so I tried to uninstall that and reinstall it again once I figured out how to sinc DIM up  with the new computers main storage drive. MOST stuff was installing there, but the things originally mentioned kept being installed into OneDrive. Despite DIM being linked to my HD. I THINK I got it, but I'm not 100% sure. I pulled all the DAZ files off of OneDrive and saved them to a folder in case I needed them still.

Your problem is probably related to One Drive or OS settings reather than DIM settings. One Drive is probably configured to move files off of your hard drive and into the cloud. So even if you or DIM put files on the hard drive, One Drive may be moving them off.
  • edited July 6

barbult said:

Your problem is probably related to One Drive or OS settings reather than DIM settings. One Drive is probably configured to move files off of your hard drive and into the cloud. So even if you or DIM put files on the hard drive, One Drive may be moving them off.

No, not as far as I can see (on the last, nothing is being moved from the HD to OneDrive). Before I figured out how to set the dim to load the files onto my HD it installed everything directly to my OneDrive.The stuff on my hard drive seems stable. But at least it LOOKED like some things were going to the OneDrive cloud instead of my hard drive. Windows wanted to link everything to the OneDrive and use that to store everything. So everything was going there, DAZ stuff, downloads, game files, everything. But I'm sure you are right about it being the OS. On first boot I had to log into my OneDrive, so probably that is when the settings were made. This is my first time using Win10, my previous computer couldn't run it so it wouldn't install. Initially also I had to relearn how to set the file link to my runtime in DIM, the default went to the OneDrive. Once I had that figured out I went back and had DIM remove all the files it had put on  the OneDrive, but it didn't actually remove them, I had to hand delete it. I guess I missed some parts.

Post edited by wickedprince3d_fd273b40ac on