Will iRay rendering in Daz Studio work good with this laptop w. nVidia Card.

I am looking to buy a budget laptop to make my renders go faster and better quality. Will specs of this laptop be good for daz to improve performance  compared to laptop with intel Iris XE gpu?

INTEL CORE i7-5600u
8 GB DDR3L

INTEL HD GRAPHICS 5500 2128MB + NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB

256 GB SSD

Thank You in advance for tips.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015
    edited July 4

Even if that GPU was still supported, it has has way too little VRAM, consider 8GB's the minimum

Edit: 8GB's of RAM is also not enough

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Good day, about 7 years ago I started into Daz and had a laptop with an nvidia 960M with 4GB RAM ... Genesis 3 was just coming out. It did quite well for the older stuff (Victoria and Michael 4 era) ... but as it gets increasingly new (with larger models and maps),, it would get bogged down or not be able to handle it at all.

The system you describe will not get you much as far as Iray rendering goes. It would probably be hopeless on Genesis 8 and 9.

Also, if you do not have a good cooling fan, the long intense rendering that Iray can produce can sometimes be too much for laptops.

• ancanar_3dfb1cf89dancanar_3dfb1cf89d Posts: 29
    edited July 4

PerttiA said:

Even if that GPU was still supported, it has has way too little VRAM, consider 8GB's the minimum

Edit: 8GB's of RAM is also not enough

I am looking for something budget now for begginers.Also i need a laptop due to a lack of space. I am ok with long render times just want it to be better from my regular laptop with Intel GPU. Also if I understand correctly some of the options will not be availible anyway without nVidia GPU. Now that i know that older nVidia cards can have compatibility issues I will look at new laptops, find a setup in my budget and ask if this would be at least ok.

Post edited by ancanar_3dfb1cf89d on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 606

I’m a dabbler/hobbyist.  When I retired in 2019, I bought a laptop to use principally as my 3D computer graphics machine to paly with - mainly for Daz Studio, but also Poser, iClone, and others.  I bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 (9th generation), 16 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2026 with 6 GB VRAM, 500 GB SSD root drive and 1 TB secondary drive.  At the time, my laptop could handle most of the content that I had but over the years as I bought more recent products, my laptop struggles to work with them in Daz Studio.  I frequently run into situations with newer content that loads large/complex scenes or environments and/or large amounts of high(er) resolution textures, either I cannot change to the Iray viewport or I run out of VRAM and RAM in the Iray rendering process.  3Delight rendering is rarely an issue.  I have bought several utilities to try to improve my laptop’s ability to process complex content; some are Scene Optimizer, Render Throttle for Iray, Camera View Optimizer, and more.

So, a budget laptop is probably not going to achieve what you want.  Since you don’t have room for a desktop (I’m planning to get a beefy one soon.), go with the most capable laptop that your budget will allow.  If you have a trusted source, a used but capable laptop may suit your needs.