How to load custom UVs to Genesis 8?

I want to be able to make Genesis 8 models compatible with UVs from different games like Sims, but as far as I know there's only options to use G3 UVs on G8, or G8 to G8.1.... Is there any way to load custom UVs onto Genesis 8? Something like this is pretty achievable in Blender with the bake function between two similar models w/ different UVs, but my goal is to have this function within Daz so people with no Blender knowledge can create characters for other games' UVs as fast and easy as possible. Please help!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461
    edited July 4

You need an OBJ export of the figure (at base resolution, with no attachments) remapped with the new UVs (you can change the UVs but not the division into surfaces, which may be a problem). Then from the Surfaces pane option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner) you can load a new UV set, which will then be available in the UV Set selection button in the main body of the Surfaces pane.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,269
    edited July 5

I'm not 100% sure of what you need... Do you mean you want to convert texture maps from other model with different UV to G8 figures (or vice versa...), not in external application like Blender but just in DS ?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • writesiennawritesienna Posts: 4
    edited July 5

crosswind said:

I'm not 100% sure of what you need... Do you mean you want to convert texture maps from other model with different UV to G8 figures (or vice versa...), not in external application like Blender but just in DS ?

I want to make the G8 figure use a completely different UV. Not just transferring UVs or textures from G3 or another Daz figure, but a completely custom UV. That way, I can edit the G8 figure as normal from within Daz and it's ready to be exported into other games that use different UVs without having to transfer it to Blender or another program for UV remapping. That way, it will work with skins and other textures without having to manually convert them to work with the Daz G8 mesh every time. It's intended to be a modding/character creation shortcut.

Post edited by writesienna on
    edited July 5

Richard Haseltine said:

You need an OBJ export of the figure (at base resolution, with no attachments) remapped with the new UVs (you can change the UVs but not the division into surfaces, which may be a problem). Then from the Surfaces pane option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner) you can load a new UV set, which will then be available in the UV Set selection button in the main body of the Surfaces pane.

I did this and it didn't work. Using the new UV set caused the model to become covered in black lines and squiggles and I got a bunch of "could not find matching facet for discontinuous vertex" error messages. I deleted the eyelashes from the scene tab and set the resolution to base before export. Export settings were set to Blender except with an additional collapse UVs setting. I have included the broken UV figure in a scene file. Unfortunately, I can't attach the Blender obj file I used to generate the new UV set. As a test, the only change made to the G8 UV from within Blender was moving the face UV to fit the default Second Life UV.

duf
    duf
    g8f broken uv.duf
    txt
    txt
    log.txt
    1M
    Post edited by writesienna on

Well, if you chnage the UVs  then of course the base maps will no longer aply correctly - they are made for the base UVs. That said, looking at the model in UV view it seems to be randomly scattered rather than following any likely layout - is this meant to be matching the intended UVs?

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, if you chnage the UVs  then of course the base maps will no longer aply correctly - they are made for the base UVs. That said, looking at the model in UV view it seems to be randomly scattered rather than following any likely layout - is this meant to be matching the intended UVs?

I was expecting the base UVs to look different. To my understanding using a different UV set keeps the geometry the same but just changes the way the texture is applied? When I checked UV view it looks like it was randomly scrambled which wasn't my intention at all. The only thing I did in Blender to the exported Daz obj was edit the face UV placement to fit another UV's texture placement. I didn't add or remove any geometry or touch the vertices. If you look at the attached images you can see the intended face UV is just a little higher and more squished than the Daz UV. I have no idea what could've caused all the scrambled UVs everywhere else.

Please don't post textures, unless the creator has given permission (to you in particular or more generally).

I've not tried Blender's UV tools so I don't know how they work, but it's a common task so there should be plenty of written/video guides and tutorials around.

You are enabling the option to preserve vertex order in Blender, both import and export. Changing the vertex order would certainly scamble the mapping.

Richard Haseltine said:

You are enabling the option to preserve vertex order in Blender, both import and export. Changing the vertex order would certainly scamble the mapping.

Just changed my Blender import/export settings to preserve the vertex order and it appears to be working as intended now. Thank you so much!

newuv.PNG
    629 x 641 - 397K
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,205

If you use blender 4.1 (?!), legacy blender obj import/exporter has been withdrawn, and the new obj exporter/importer always keeps vertex order.