Dforce skirt still has ruffles even though I flattened it in Blender

I'm using a dforce skirt that originally had ruffles, and exported it to blender where I flattened it with the Smooth brush. I then exported it back to DAZ but it still has ruffles after simulation, albeit less pronounced. I increased the stiffness parameters which helped a bit but there's still some of it. Even weirder is when I turn mesh smoothing on, even more ruffles appear. Why is this happening and what can I do to flatten it for good?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,528

If the ruffles are still there then the simulation wil try to separate them from the underlying mesh, and each other if they overlap, as set by the Simulation offset paramter in the Surfaces pane. The bend where they join may also tend to lift them as the simulation tries to lower the accumulated energy in the mesh. You might, if you don't want them, do better to make them invisible via surface settings and also turn off the CVisible to Simulation surface option.

• RobertDyRobertDy Posts: 265
    edited July 5

Richard Haseltine said:

If the ruffles are still there then the simulation wil try to separate them from the underlying mesh, and each other if they overlap, as set by the Simulation offset paramter in the Surfaces pane. The bend where they join may also tend to lift them as the simulation tries to lower the accumulated energy in the mesh. You might, if you don't want them, do better to make them invisible via surface settings and also turn off the CVisible to Simulation surface option.

I wish the ruffles were that way, but they are part of the mesh of the overall dress and not a separate surface. https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-fresh-spring-outfit-for-genesis-9 is the product in question. EDIT: might using the mesh grabber work somehow?

Post edited by RobertDy on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,210

I wouldn't call that ruffles.

If a skirt/dress are wider than hanging straight down, the mesh will create folds. The only way to avoid that is to make the skirt part more narrow.

If it has its own material zone, you could try setting Contraction-Expansion to 90 or so.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,895

Change the smoothing type from Base Shape Matching to Generic. Base Shape Matching will use the base geo shape as reference to smooth to which is why you're seeing the shape coming back.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 080357.jpg
    614 x 271 - 39K
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,300
    edited July 5

Or, you can firstly: Edit - Figure - Geometry - Remove Smoothing Modifier.

2ndly, Edit - Figure - Geometry - Update Base Geometry, choose 2nd option: Update Vertext Positions (from File)... with the OBJ file exported from Blender. Then, Edit - Figure - Geometry - Add Smoothing Modifier. (ss1)

3rdly,  you have to tweak the properties on dynamic surfaces of the dress in Surfaces pane (ss2)

Then you'll get zero folds after Simulation. In case you still need some folds there, reduce the value in Buckling Ratio, which is easily to control "how many folds" there'll be... (ss3)

Finally, if everything is fine, save a Wearable Preset or a Figure Asset with your Vendor Name ~

SNAG-2024-7-6-073.png
    1471 x 1294 - 390K
    SNAG-2024-7-6-075.png
    2560 x 1392 - 695K
    SNAG-2024-7-6-076.png
    2560 x 1392 - 711K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,528

There is also Simulation Base Shape here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#node_properties , though I am not entirely sure it will help if the issue is trying to stop the cloth from forming folds during the simulation.