Gen 9 Neanderthal Brows have no texture color

squirtsquirt Posts: 159

Hello Daz Gurus;

I recently purchsed the Neanderthal 9.   Everything seems to work except for his/her eyebrows.   They remain White and the textures can not be changed as far as I can tinker with.

Does anyone know what is happening here and what the remedy is?

Neanderthal Brows.png
2919 x 2335 - 8M
Post edited by squirt on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,210

I would assume they use the Omnihair shader. Which version of Daz Studio are you using?

• squirtsquirt Posts: 159
    edited July 7

felis said:

I would assume they use the Omnihair shader. Which version of Daz Studio are you using?

I think you are right about the shader.  I'm using version 4.21..

If you do think that I should update my Daz version.  What's the safest way to do so?  I've run into problems with their updates before.

Post edited by squirt on

Make sure that Daz Studio is fully closed down before upgrade. In 4.21 it can run a while in the backgroud.

That said, I had never had issues upgrading.

If you for some reason want to stick to 4.21, you can "buy" the Beta and use that. The Beta and the regular can coexist.

edited July 7

felis said:

Make sure that Daz Studio is fully closed down before upgrade. In 4.21 it can run a while in the backgroud.

That said, I had never had issues upgrading.

If you for some reason want to stick to 4.21, you can "buy" the Beta and use that. The Beta and the regular can coexist.

I've always been confused doing it because DAZ does not make it straight forward unfortunately.

Do you have to go to Daz and Download their Free Version as if you are a  completely new customer?  Or do they have a Upgrade Link (If they had one, this would make things less confusing) provided for people who already have Daz installed on their computers?

Post edited by squirt on

You have to "buy" this https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

And it can only be installed using DIM. And in DIM Advanced Settings > Download you have to enable 'Public Build'.

felis said:

You have to "buy" this https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

And it can only be installed using DIM. And in DIM Advanced Settings > Download you have to enable 'Public Build'.

Thank you for the advice Felis.   I followed the instructions and installed the Beta Pro version.    Other than losing a lot of libraries that I created over the years (which I could always add back in), it was a complete failure.   I lost the eyes, the brows altogether,  and all of the skin textures too.  On top of all of that, it wants to save the render to a Render Library (wherever that is) when before Daz would save to my Desktop.

This Daz Pro is scary.

I do appreciate your efforts to help though.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,300
    edited July 7

You also have to update the product Default Resources for Daz Studio 4.22+ so as to make it work with OmniHair shader... Check the default resource package in DIM - Ready to Download... its latest version should be dated Feb 28, 2024...the date when OmniHair shader and relevant products were released.

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

You also have to update the product Default Resources for Daz Studio 4.22+ so as to make it work with OmniHair shader... Check the default resource package in DIM - Ready to Download... its latest version should be dated Feb 28, 2024...the date when OmniHair shader and relevant products were released.

That brought back the brows and the eyes.  But I've still got a purple figure with no skin textures.  Any other figure has the same result.   Do you think that I need to update an NVIDIA driver or something like that?

edited July 7

squirt said:

crosswind said:

That brought back the brows and the eyes.  But I've still got a purple figure with no skin textures.  Any other figure has the same result.   Do you think that I need to update an NVIDIA driver or something like that?

Yes, check your Nvidia driver version firstly... The minimum required Driver ver. for DS 4.22.1+ is 537.13 (R535). https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8578521/#Comment_8578521

crosswind said:

squirt said:

crosswind said:

Yes, check your Nvidia driver version firstly... The minimum required Driver ver. for DS 4.22.1+ is 537.13 (R535). https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8578521/#Comment_8578521

Ug!  NVIDIA has stopped updating the drivers for my GTX 1070... surprise

Looks like I'm screwed.

edited July 7

squirt said:

crosswind said:

squirt said:

crosswind said:

Looks like I'm screwed.

On the contrary, there is the very latest updated driver 555.99 for GTX 1070... You go to this page: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Set filters as per the 1st screenshot (choose Windows 11 if you use Windows 11... etc.), then click Search button... then you'll get it ~~ driver version 555.99 will do!

SNAG-2024-7-8-014.png
    1324 x 1023 - 409K
    SNAG-2024-7-8-015.png
    1173 x 1015 - 425K

crosswind said:

squirt said:

crosswind said:

squirt said:

crosswind said:

Looks like I'm screwed.

On the contrary, there is the very latest updated driver 555.99 for GTX 1070... You go to this page: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Set filters as per the 1st screenshot (choose Windows 11 if you use Windows 11... etc.), then click Search button... then you'll get it ~~ driver version 555.99 will do!

I truly appreciate your efforts Crosswind.   But I am using Windows 7  (and trust me I tried to make it work but it stopped the action telling me that their driver is not built to work with it.  I'm currently putting together a brand new computer and will use Windows 11.  

I've just been a Win7 hold out of a long time now.   The industry is slowly but surely pushing everyone  along as you can see.   Daz keeps wanting the latest drivers so this too puts the pressure on people's OS as evidenced.     The problem is that computers have gotten so expensive (to build decent ones that is, not Walmart junk) that you actually got to buy a graphics card one month, and the next component a few months later to put one together that's ultimately going to cost you over 3k at the least.   But I'm certainly not telling you anything that you don't already know.

If I go out and buy Win 10 (as I'm not sure that 11 will even work on my current dinosaur) I've got to reload DAZ from scratch (as far as I know), rebuild the DAZ Install Manager, and the whole nine yards.   A major, pain in the ass to a hobyist who is not a computer nerd.    So sigh.  It is what it is I suppose.

Oh... so you have to wait for the new rig. It's still a good news anyway ! yes

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406
    edited July 8

squirt said:

If I go out and buy Win 10 (as I'm not sure that 11 will even work on my current dinosaur) I've got to reload DAZ from scratch (as far as I know), rebuild the DAZ Install Manager, and the whole nine yards.   A major, pain in the ass to a hobyist who is not a computer nerd.    So sigh.  It is what it is I suppose.

It might be better to reinstall the programs after OS upgrade, but unless you take reinstalling Windows as an opportunity to format you drive and start over there's no need to reinstall all content.

Even if you do format your drive, you could restore a backup of your content directories (and database if using smart content), and as long as you also restore a backup of what's in DIM's "manifest" folder, DIM will still consider what you installed previously as installed.

Regardring using the beta: the beta has different settings from the general release, so the first time you install it you need to tell it where your content directories are, where to save your renders, and so on. Same for the layout if you customized it.

If you want to use the brows or news dForce hair using the omnishader with your DS 4.21, you'll need to use a different shader on them.
    These are a good option for strand-based hair example, as they also use Iray curves to save resources and do work in 4.21: https://www.daz3d.com/line-zero-dforce-strand-hair-shaders

Post edited by Leana on

Though it'd be always up to your final decision, I would really suggest you take this chance to upgrade your PC otherwise you will be always facing such a dilemma... Then how to go for a true happy rendering ?

And trust me: migrating current DS configuration + Daz Assets to a new PC / System will be never difficult. You just need to follow the migration checklist we provide....  That'll be just a piece of cake ~