An annoying attempt to enforce subdivision levels...

At first, I thought I was goin' crazy, but then I realized that if I lower the SubD of a Genesis 8 Figure to 1, it goes back to 2 when it reloads. Why, lord... Why!?!?!?

Comments

• rokkr said:

At first, I thought I was goin' crazy, but then I realized that if I lower the SubD of a Genesis 8 Figure to 1, it goes back to 2 when it reloads. Why, lord... Why!?!?!?

That's because the Render Subd Level(minimum), is always 1 level higher than the Subdivision level.

If you change the Subdivision level to 2, the Render subd level(minimum) will change to 3.

There are two ways to keep the render subd at one, either lock the parameter(click the lock icon, or Gear icon>check the Lock box), or reduce the Subdivion level to 0.

If you want it to always load like this, then you'll need to create a new character preset or scene subset with the above settings.

You may have to do this for every character preset you have.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277

It seems that you set value 1 to Render SubD Level. If so, another way is to break ERC link in between SubD Level and Render SubD Level properties since the former is the latter's Controller. Then you can freely set values into them.

SNAG-2024-7-8-024.png
    518 x 1294 - 73K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    I never knew what that link icon was for!

barbult said:

I never knew what that link icon was for!

Yea, for preventing a property from being controlled by all of its Controllers set in ERC links. It's especially useful when we create content, or check 'n debug some property issues.

• rokkrrokkr Posts: 96

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

rokkr said:

That's because the Render Subd Level(minimum), is always 1 level higher than the Subdivision level.

If you change the Subdivision level to 2, the Render subd level(minimum) will change to 3.

There are two ways to keep the render subd at one, either lock the parameter(click the lock icon, or Gear icon>check the Lock box), or reduce the Subdivion level to 0.

If you want it to always load like this, then you'll need to create a new character preset or scene subset with the above settings.

You may have to do this for every character preset you have.

crosswind said:

It seems that you set value 1 to Render SubD Level. If so, another way is to break ERC link in between SubD Level and Render SubD Level properties since the former is the latter's Controller. Then you can freely set values into them.

Yeah, that I was talking about -- the Render SubD. I usually set it to 1 unless a higher SubD is needed. I know Render SubD changes if I change the just SubD (I guess it's the view SubD, right?), but the opposite doesn't happen if I just change the Render SubD. Then I noticed the Render SubD of a G8 character (and, I guess, G3 too) jumped to 2 again when I reloaded the scene. Curiously, it doesn't happen with G9. I think it locks automatically... So, I'll try this lock thing on G8s and below. If it works on G9s, will work on them. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Continuing my investigations, I turned off the chain link and locked the value. But, now, they load with 0 subD... I probably have to either lock the parameter or turn off the chain icon, but, anyway, it doesn't make too much sense...

edited August 2

rokkr said:

Continuing my investigations, I turned off the chain link and locked the value. But, now, they load with 0 subD... I probably have to either lock the parameter or turn off the chain icon, but, anyway, it doesn't make too much sense...

Lock won't work if the value in View SubD Level changes for whatever reason...which means the value in Render SubD Level will be still changed as it is controlled by the former.

So breaking the link of its Controller is the only way if you want to absolutely keep a static value in Render SubD Level ~~

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited August 3

crosswind said:

rokkr said:

Lock won't work if the value in View SubD Level changes for whatever reason...which means the value in Render SubD Level will be still changed as it is controlled by the former.

So breaking the link of its Controller is the only way if you want to absolutely keep a static value in Render SubD Level ~~

The View SubD level is always one. When I load a figure (usually), it loads with (view) SubD 1 and Render SubD 2. I was just dialing Render SubD to 1 and it kept jumping back to 2 when I loaded it back again. Then, I started doing the same but turning both the chain icon off and the lock on. Then, it started to load with 0 Render SubD without even touching the view SubD...

UPDATE: I did a test  with two characters in the same scene, dialed Render SubD to 1 and, in one of them, turned the link chain off, and, in the other, locked it. Funny thing (and contrary to what you've said) both worked, so, final conclusion, you can either turn the link chain off or lock the Render SubD but you can't do both otherwise it will jump to 0 when you reload the scene.

Post edited by rokkr on
    edited August 3

rokkr said:

crosswind said:

rokkr said:

The View SubD level is always one. When I load a figure (usually), it loads with (view) SubD 1 and Render SubD 2. I was just dialing Render SubD to 1 and it kept jumping back to 2 when I loaded it back again. Then, I started doing the same but turning both the chain icon off and the lock on. Then, it started to load with 0 Render SubD without even touching the view SubD...

UPDATE: I did a test  with two characters in the same scene, dialed Render SubD to 1 and, in one of them, turned the link chain off, and, in the other, locked it. Funny thing (and contrary to what you've said) both worked, so, final conclusion, you can either turn the link chain off or lock the Render SubD but you can't do both otherwise it will jump to 0 when you reload the scene.

I had to make some tests as well 'cause what you got as you described didn't make sense to me.  I set 1 in Render SubD Level property, and turned off its Chain and turned on its Lock...on a G8F, a G8.1F and a G9 in the same scene... then I didn't get 0 value on any of them in Render SubD after reloading the scene... since Override controller always works with 1st priority ...

However, if I only turned on Lock on any of them, the value in Render SubD Level turned back to 2 or 3 (on G8.1F / G9) as expected after reloading... 'cause Lock just prevents the value from being "modified" rather than from being "controlled".

I think there might be sth. wrong on your side.... You can test with G8F/G8.1F/G9 Base figure...if the "0 value issue" still persists, attach your scene file in here so that we may check...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited August 4

crosswind said:

rokkr said:

crosswind said:

rokkr said:

I had to make some tests as well 'cause what you got as you described didn't make sense to me.  I set 1 in Render SubD Level property, and turned off its Chain and turned on its Lock...on a G8F, a G8.1F and a G9 in the same scene... then I didn't get 0 value on any of them in Render SubD after reloading the scene... since Override controller always works with 1st priority ...

However, if I only turned on Lock on any of them, the value in Render SubD Level turned back to 2 or 3 (on G8.1F / G9) as expected after reloading... 'cause Lock just prevents the value from being "modified" rather than from being "controlled".

I think there might be sth. wrong on your side.... You can test with G8F/G8.1F/G9 Base figure...if the "0 value issue" still persists, attach your scene file in here so that we may check...

Yeah... Weird stuff happening here... In the same scene I told you I tested, since both ways seem to have worked, I ended up setting those two characters on lock. Now, I've loaded the scene again and the character who was previously locked on Render SubD 1 loaded as Render SubD 1, but the other who I previously broke the chain link and, after that, changed to the lock, loaded with Render SubD 2!!! Both characters had the same exactly configuration!!! I think my computer is haunted...

UPDATE: I think maybe it's the order you do stuff... I reverted everything to default, dialed Render SubD to 1, pressed the lock, and it worked. Both characters are loading as intended.

Post edited by rokkr on