Render Presets Disappeared

Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 209

[Render Presets Disappeared] Which is not the end of the world, except that it will only let me save ONE custom render preset now.  For example, I have a 35MM setup that I like.  I save that and it shows up at the bottom of the drop down.  Wonderful, so far so good.  I save the Layout to make sure that this isn't going to disappear (no idea if that is even necessary but I do it anyway).  Step two, I have a medium format portrait setup that I like to use so I create a custom setup for that and save it as a custom preset.  It shows up at the bottom of the drop down, but the 35MM is now gone, history, hasta-la-vista baby.  

Is this some fancy new Emporer's New Clothes feature that I, being of low birth and questionable lineage, am simply not good enough to appreciate?  Or is it a bug?  Or have there been changes to how this must be accomplished, adding several extra steps to a once-intuitive process?  Am I being mean? Will we win the championship this year? Which bird will fly off the power line first, the left one or the right?  

Eternal questions.  I'd settle for an answer to only the first one.  Happy post-hurricane, everybody!  Hope all is well with you!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

So these are Dimension Presets, using the Save ... button in Render Settings next to the drop-down list of values? I can save two in succession without issue, and have both correctly appear at the end of the list (before the remove entry) so it doesn't seem to be an app-wide feature. I think the values are written to the registry (for Windows), there isn't visibly a file for them in the AppData folder - do you have any tools that may be limiting your ability to make changes to the Registry? Are there other settings which are not being saved?

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 209
    edited July 10

Correct, they are dimension presets.  This only started happening recently, along about the same time that Daz ditched quite a few things from my setup.  I won't go into all of that, it's all been covered by others.  Registry changes? Who knows, it's Windows 11 so anything is possible.  I only know that fairly recently I lost a bunch of stuff out of those presets and re-creating it all presented this issue.  It will only save one, that being the most recent one I make.  I wish I could be more help to you but there just isn't any reason that leaps to mind that any of this would have happened. It feels like either what you're suggesting re the registry (Adobe is on my feces list for their transition to subscription and breaking the functions of Photoshop off one by one to be "upgrades" now so that could always be the culprit with the registry) or perhaps an update of some kind of Daz's that occurs in the background.  I don't know how that all works.  All I know is that one day things are fine, the next day someone has stolen the primroses from my yard.  It happens fairly often.  This time the thing is, when I re-plant the primroses, they disappear as fast as I plant them.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,264
    edited July 10

In File Browser, go to the folder: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4, there should be a DSX file named dzrendersettingsdimensionspresets.dsx

If you can find it, open it with Notepad++, check what it's in it, then Close it. Create a new User Preset, open DSX file again to see if the new preset has been written into the file.

This file is irrelevant to Saving a Layout, after you create a new User Preset, it'll be instantly written to this file...

If the preset cannot be written to this DSX file, I doubt how your Layouts were successfully saved... Then check : 1)  if there's any unicode character in your Windows Account name... 2) if you've recently switched to a new Windows Account ...

SNAG-2024-7-11-004.png
    636 x 1299 - 146K
    SNAG-2024-7-11-005.png
    2560 x 1392 - 101K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 209

I can definitively rule out that the Layouts were not successfully saved as it does save other things when I save those.  I've already tried making small changes in other areas to test this, as it was my first suspicion, but it saves those other things.  Just not the Dimension Presets..  As I described, it saves ONLY the most recently created Dimension Preset. So if I save ten presets: 

I save "01" successfully. It is alone in the presets section.
    I save "02" successfully. It is alone in the presets section.
    I save "03" successfully. It is alone in the presets section.
    I save "10" successfully. It is alone in the presets section.

I'll try taking a look at the DSX file, however, as it might give me a peek behind the curtain.  Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll report back.

Well, since you said so, probably depending on the DS version... What is DS version that you're using now ? I vaguely recalled that I probably encountered the same issue in a certain older version... though I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, that .dsx file is there for me but I completely failed to see it earlier - thank you to crosswind for pointing it out.

crosswind said:

Well, since you said so, probably depending on the DS version... What is DS version that you're using now ? I vaguely recalled that I probably encountered the same issue in a certain older version... though I'm not 100% sure.

These may be relevant:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_16#4_21_1_82 (about addressing behaviur with Active Viewport preset)
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_16#4_21_1_85 (additonal default presets)
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_16#4_22_0_15 (the same)

Richard Haseltine said:

Sorry, that .dsx file is there for me but I completely failed to see it earlier - thank you to crosswind for pointing it out.

That happens ~ Don't mention it, Richard !

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

These may be relevant:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_16#4_21_1_82 (about addressing behaviur with Active Viewport preset)
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_16#4_21_1_85 (additonal default presets)
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_22_0_16#4_22_0_15 (the same)

Yay ~~~ they must be relevant ! Thanks, Richard ! yes

• It happened to me for the longest time too, but I figured it out today. I tried everything with the dzrendersettingsdimensionspresets.dsx file. Whenever I saved or deleted a preset in DAZ, it would delete all of my custom presets and only display the one I tried to save. My custom presets were gone except for the saved one.

Here's what you need to do: select 'Custom' in the Dimension Preset (Global) list before saving or deleting a preset. This way, it saves to your custom preset list without deleting or overwriting it.

preset.png
    488 x 137 - 16K
    edited August 29

Energydense said:

It happened to me for the longest time too, but I figured it out today. I tried everything with the dzrendersettingsdimensionspresets.dsx file. Whenever I saved or deleted a preset in DAZ, it would delete all of my custom presets and only display the one I tried to save. My custom presets were gone except for the saved one.

Here's what you need to do: select 'Custom' in the Dimension Preset (Global) list before saving or deleting a preset. This way, it saves to your custom preset list without deleting or overwriting it.

Depending on your DS version... I couldn't reproduce the issue with latest DS GR or PB version... so as per the change log Richard posted, that should be a bug in older versions.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • I am running DAZ Studio 4.22.0.16, so the current GR.
    Maybe a plugin of mine causes this, the log showed nothing after reproducing the issue.. too many variables. I'm good for now.

Hmm... probably ~~