Strange Issue with Elonganting Fingers

Hello,

I'm still fairly new to Daz3D, and I've been running across an issue lately that I can't seem to fix that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. It happens when I go to have one of my characters grab onto something. For some reason, their fingers become super long and unnatural looking (see attached picture). This only happens when I I try to make their fingers curl--everything looks normal when I have their hands open or at 100% "relaxed". Is there some way to fix this, some button I can press or box I can check/uncheck to keep this from happening? Any insights/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

issue.png
639 x 753 - 290K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

A shape applied has not had the rigging adjusted to match the new placement of the mesh, so the centre of rotation is offset (which you will be able to see by seelcting one of the bones affected with one of the transform tools, such as the Universal tool, and looking at the location of the control gizmo relative to the model) - or possibly, the adjustments are applying even when the shape is not applied. Is this happening with all figues based on the same Genesis or only when certain characters or shapes are applied?

• crtskruegercrtskrueger Posts: 0

Richard Haseltine said:

A shape applied has not had the rigging adjusted to match the new placement of the mesh, so the centre of rotation is offset (which you will be able to see by seelcting one of the bones affected with one of the transform tools, such as the Universal tool, and looking at the location of the control gizmo relative to the model) - or possibly, the adjustments are applying even when the shape is not applied. Is this happening with all figues based on the same Genesis or only when certain characters or shapes are applied?

I primarily use the base Genesis 9 figure and modify it from there, but I can't see any rhyme or reason to when this happens. Here's another example. Both of these were created using a "template" character--the template is just the base Genesis 9 with "Feminine" slider set all the way to 100%--and I have the "Fist" slider set to 100%--neither of them was rigged to hold an item at this point. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't done anything differently between the two--I have used various preset gestures and poses on them both, including ones to "Reset" them, but the gestures and poses come from the same collection, so I can't imagine they're affecting one character differently than the other--and yet, as you can see, the one on the right has the strange elongation while the one on the left doesn't. I haven't seen this happen on preloaded "Actors" as far as I can remember though, just the base Genesis 9 figures.

issue 2.png
    639 x 753 - 530K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,461

the template is just the base Genesis 9 with "Feminine" slider set all the way to 100%

but it isstill the Daz slider, you haven't exported to OBJ and imported as a new morph for example?

• crtskruegercrtskrueger Posts: 0

Richard Haseltine said:

the template is just the base Genesis 9 with "Feminine" slider set all the way to 100%

but it isstill the Daz slider, you haven't exported to OBJ and imported as a new morph for example?

No, it's the Daz slider--exporting and importing isn't something I've attempted as of yet. I think I have discovered the issue though. I think the problem is coming from this slider from the "Body Morph Kit for Genesis 9". As a test, I loaded a blank figure and started inputing the same characteristics as the first character line by line, checking after each change to see if it changed the clenched fist, and after changing this slider, I got the elongation effect. I'm not sure why changing changing the dimensions of the torso would change the hands. Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-07-11 171630.png
    432 x 613 - 149K