Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - more ongoinger thread

Comments

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618

tsroemi said:

I like the street and am gonna get it, but it sure does contain some weird andnot very 'London'-looking buildings on closer inspection. It's like something remembered vaguely or seen only from afar - the overall look and feel is not bad, but the details are rather strange. Anyways, it'll be a fun asset to have for all sorts of scenes!

The individual items look OK to me but the way they are put together isn't quite right. Someone has already commented that the no entry signs are the wrong way round for the stree markings. The Belisha Beacon all on it's own there is out of place. it should be next to a pedestrian crossing and I think there would normally be one on each side of the road. And the bikes all lined up neatly with none blocking the pavement is a rare sight. If the props are moveable it should be good.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330
    edited September 14

Peter Wade said:

tsroemi said:

I like the street and am gonna get it, but it sure does contain some weird andnot very 'London'-looking buildings on closer inspection. It's like something remembered vaguely or seen only from afar - the overall look and feel is not bad, but the details are rather strange. Anyways, it'll be a fun asset to have for all sorts of scenes!

The individual items look OK to me but the way they are put together isn't quite right. Someone has already commented that the no entry signs are the wrong way round for the stree markings. The Belisha Beacon all on it's own there is out of place. it should be next to a pedestrian crossing and I think there would normally be one on each side of the road. And the bikes all lined up neatly with none blocking the pavement is a rare sight. If the props are moveable it should be good.

True. Decals? (this is a quick and dirty version - I noticed the single Belisha Beacon but forgot to add some more)

XI-Street-of-London.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 733K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,176

I think https://www.daz3d.com/m113-armored-personnel-carrier is an incredible piece of work. Joji rigged the suspension to be fully adjustable from wheel to wheel! Everything about it looks top notch. Gotta download it and see how it is.

• Sevrin said:

In the olden days, better women's clothes took into account that often maids would dress ladies of elevated standing, and buttons, etc mirrored those on men's clothes.  What these ladies wore became the fashion standard.  Times have changed, and now zippers, buttons, etc., are often the same for men and women.

...now if only we could get useful pockets in everything, we'd be golden. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,036

SilverGirl said:

Sevrin said:

In the olden days, better women's clothes took into account that often maids would dress ladies of elevated standing, and buttons, etc mirrored those on men's clothes.  What these ladies wore became the fashion standard.  Times have changed, and now zippers, buttons, etc., are often the same for men and women.

@SilverGirl While I would love a standard pocket design for 3D so we could stuff our 3D fingers, cameras/phones, wallets ... into them, I would be more grateful if real world jeans would remember women have hands that are larger than the second digit of their hands! I have jeans from a number of manufacturers and only my Levis actually leave room for me to use the pockets. With my twisted spine, I try to carry the minimun I need in my pockets and losing things in the parking lot is not good, like IDs, keys, phone. All of which have dropped out.

My zippers are zipped from the right-hand side. I checked with my flatmate, his jeans/work pants all are designed to be zipped up with the right hand. (I wonder if you are left-handed if you can order a left-sided opening?) 

• memcneil70 said:

SilverGirl said:

Sevrin said:

@SilverGirl While I would love a standard pocket design for 3D so we could stuff our 3D fingers, cameras/phones, wallets ... into them, I would be more grateful if real world jeans would remember women have hands that are larger than the second digit of their hands! I have jeans from a number of manufacturers and only my Levis actually leave room for me to use the pockets. With my twisted spine, I try to carry the minimun I need in my pockets and losing things in the parking lot is not good, like IDs, keys, phone. All of which have dropped out.

Oh, that's what I meant - that it would be great if my actual pants had useful pockets. I've given up on using the ones I have because actually moving through the day means everything wiggles out. I'm not a big fan of purses (too easy to forget somewhere) so if I have to carry stuff, usually I strap on my belt from my reenactment kit and use the pouches.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,421
    edited September 17

Sometimes, like just a few days ago, the offer consists almost only of stuff that doesn't interest me: Meaningless-looking young women, cheap & silly skimpwear and 'lingerie'. 

Then there are days like today: days when one banger follows the next and my credit card weeps bitter tears. Luthbel with his fantastic 'Wise Monk' set and breathtakingly beautiful textures, Hoffmeyer finally with a new, great-looking dinosaur, RawArt and AntFarm, and other big names. Plus a very nice 'Golden Ticket' from Lantios. Enchanté!

Post edited by caravelle on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,795

the Luthbel Monk is tremendous looking. 
    dForce Wise Monk HD for Genesis 9 | Daz 3D

• I've got plans for that monk suit. Looks pretty nice

edited September 17

I also like Colm Jackson's Tora today. I'm a CJ fan anyway, for a very long time, was back at RDNA times, which was my favorite place actually. Great people. 
    CJ Tora For Genesis 9 | Daz 3D

A strong looking woman. Very good possibilities with all the shades, skins, tats, etc.Dirt LIE as well. 

tora.jpg
    1536 x 1302 - 387K
    Post edited by daveso on
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162
    edited September 19

More pirates. Yay?

With that said, I really like Southwest Harbor. https://www.daz3d.com/southwest-harbor

It's in my cart.

Isn't there some weirdness with the boat's texture in this promos shot? One on the bottom, the gray area:

Post edited by lou_harper on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,696

lou_harper said:

More pirates. Yay?

With that said, I really like Southwest Harbor. https://www.daz3d.com/southwest-harbor ; It's in my cart.

Isn't there some weirdness with the boat's texture in this promos shot? One on the bottom, the gray area:

It looks to me like it's just meant to be discolored or was maybe painted in another color once. -  What I really find disappointing about the set is that the sea is not included. I mean, c'mon, shouldn't this be an essential part of a harbor set? And at this price? Would have bought it on the spot otherwise, but now - wishlisted. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,945

lou_harper said:

More pirates. Yay?

With that said, I really like Southwest Harbor. https://www.daz3d.com/southwest-harbor ; It's in my cart.

Corrected product link: https://www.daz3d.com/southwest-harbor

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Laughable pirate outfits, but I will have to say that at least the boots of both outfits look like something one might actually wear on a ship. No deck-eating heels.

• CO3DRCO3DR Posts: 158

I think some folks already own the sea.

https://www.daz3d.com/iray-oceanworx

(Although, I do wish folks selling products would be better about listing the 'products used in promo images'. Some sellers get it and some don't) 

tsroemi said:

What I really find disappointing about the set is that the sea is not included. I mean, c'mon, shouldn't this be an essential part of a harbor set? And at this price? Would have bought it on the spot otherwise, but now - wishlisted. 

CO3DR said:

I think some folks already own the sea.

(Although, I do wish folks selling products would be better about listing the 'products used in promo images'. Some sellers get it and some don't) 

tsroemi said:

What I really find disappointing about the set is that the sea is not included. I mean, c'mon, shouldn't this be an essential part of a harbor set? And at this price? Would have bought it on the spot otherwise, but now - wishlisted. 

I have that product, and I couldn't get it to look as real as this! Are you sure this is it? If so, I would love for Ansiko to post their settings ... 

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162

tsroemi said:

It looks to me like it's just meant to be discolored or was maybe painted in another color once. -  What I really find disappointing about the set is that the sea is not included. I mean, c'mon, shouldn't this be an essential part of a harbor set? And at this price? Would have bought it on the spot otherwise, but now - wishlisted. 

Those weird lines look more like when I'm trying to customize something and accidentally apply the wrong texture.

• JOdel said:

Laughable pirate outfits, but I will have to say that at least the boots of both outfits look like something one might actually wear on a ship. No deck-eating heels.

I was wondering if I was the only person who noticed the flat boots. If I didn't have so ... much ... stuff (and minimal actual need for pirate genre attire), I'd almost buy them just to give my support to artists for producing flats. 

lou_harper said:

tsroemi said:

Those weird lines look more like when I'm trying to customize something and accidentally apply the wrong texture.

Oh sorry, I thought this was about the greyish area at the bottom of the boat! 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 407

paulawp (marahzen) said:

JOdel said:

I was wondering if I was the only person who noticed the flat boots. If I didn't have so ... much ... stuff (and minimal actual need for pirate genre attire), I'd almost buy them just to give my support to artists for producing flats. 

You are not the only person who notices. I don't mind high heels, or even ridiculously high heels, in the right circumstances. Those circumstances are not on the deck of a ship, or on a spacecraft in conditions of variable, undependable gravity, or in outfits which are intended at least in part for combat.

For pirates and sailors I at least can usually swap out to a practical pair of boots, but if you get a "space suit" or "battle suit" that has heels, there is not much you can do to save it. I won't name and shame, but I'll say that there have been a LOT of things I did not buy for that reason and that reason alone.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,793

columbine said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

JOdel said:

You are not the only person who notices. I don't mind high heels, or even ridiculously high heels, in the right circumstances. Those circumstances are not on the deck of a ship, or on a spacecraft in conditions of variable, undependable gravity, or in outfits which are intended at least in part for combat.

For pirates and sailors I at least can usually swap out to a practical pair of boots, but if you get a "space suit" or "battle suit" that has heels, there is not much you can do to save it. I won't name and shame, but I'll say that there have been a LOT of things I did not buy for that reason and that reason alone.

Personally I love high heeled boots and shoes with sci-fi and fantasy outfits so hopefully PAs aren't discouraged from making those. Sometimes I buy the outfit mostly for cool high heeled boots or shoes. There really is no need for "realism" in sci-fi or fantasy because, umm, they are not set in reality lol. I doubt there were many, if any, female pirates anyway and maybe high heels are in fashion on spaceships in the year 3098. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,771

Plenty of female pirates in history...

• ANSIKOANSIKO Posts: 16

tsroemi a dit :

CO3DR a dit :

Je pense que certaines personnes possèdent déjà la mer.

(Bien que j'aimerais que les vendeurs de produits mentionnent mieux les « produits utilisés dans les images promotionnelles ». Certains vendeurs le comprennent et d'autres non) 

tsroemi a dit :

Ce qui me déçoit vraiment dans ce coffret, c'est que la mer n'est pas incluse. Je veux dire, allez, cela ne devrait-il pas être un élément essentiel d'un coffret de port ? Et à ce prix ? Je l'aurais acheté sur place sinon, mais maintenant - je l'ai mis sur ma liste de souhaits. 

J'ai ce produit, et je n'ai pas réussi à le rendre aussi réel que celui-ci ! Êtes-vous sûr que c'est bien ça ? Si c'est le cas, j'aimerais qu'Ansiko publie ses paramètres... 

Hello,

I apologize, I indeed forgot to mention the products used for the water in the promotional images.

I used the water from the Mediterranean Seashore product (https://www.daz3d.com/mediterranean-seashore). I modified the color and opacity of the texture to transform the Mediterranean look into an Atlantic one. Work on additive lights on the water was necessary. Then, I used Photoshop to add foam patches and splashes. Finally, the image was adjusted in Lightroom.

Marie

ANSIKO said:

tsroemi a dit :

CO3DR a dit :

Je pense que certaines personnes possèdent déjà la mer.

(Bien que j'aimerais que les vendeurs de produits mentionnent mieux les « produits utilisés dans les images promotionnelles ». Certains vendeurs le comprennent et d'autres non) 

tsroemi a dit :

Ce qui me déçoit vraiment dans ce coffret, c'est que la mer n'est pas incluse. Je veux dire, allez, cela ne devrait-il pas être un élément essentiel d'un coffret de port ? Et à ce prix ? Je l'aurais acheté sur place sinon, mais maintenant - je l'ai mis sur ma liste de souhaits. 

J'ai ce produit, et je n'ai pas réussi à le rendre aussi réel que celui-ci ! Êtes-vous sûr que c'est bien ça ? Si c'est le cas, j'aimerais qu'Ansiko publie ses paramètres... 

Hello,

I apologize, I indeed forgot to mention the products used for the water in the promotional images.

I used the water from the Mediterranean Seashore product (https://www.daz3d.com/mediterranean-seashore). I modified the color and opacity of the texture to transform the Mediterranean look into an Atlantic one. Work on additive lights on the water was necessary. Then, I used Photoshop to add foam patches and splashes. Finally, the image was adjusted in Lightroom.

Marie

Merci Marie, c'est super, je possède le 'seashore'! Merci aussi pour prendre le temps pour répondre. heart

• Wonderland said:

There really is no need for "realism" in sci-fi or fantasy because, umm, they are not set in reality lol. I doubt there were many, if any, female pirates anyway and maybe high heels are in fashion on spaceships in the year 3098. 

I strongly disagree about there being no need for realism in SF or fantasy. I could write an entire dissertation on that one, but it comes down to it depending on what feel you're going for. And a lot of folk prefer something more grounded in the little aspects that make it feel relatable. Saying there's no need for assets to support that is rather like saying there's no need for... I dunno, flowers, or cats, or forks... just because some people don't have a use for or aren't interested in them.

As for female pirates... Grania O'Malley, Mary Read, and Anne Bonny are three famous ones just off the top of my head, but Wikipedia has an article you might find interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_piracy. If you'd prefer a book, "She Captains" by Joan Druett has been sitting on my shelf unread due to lack of time, but I picked it up because it looked well researched. 

• mdingmding Posts: 1,217

Today's "headliner" seems pretty impressive for everybody interested in loooong tutorials. I believe Vladimir Chopine is the legend, who posted all those hexagon tutorials for free at YT - many thanks!

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,297
    edited September 20

mding said:

Today's "headliner" seems pretty impressive for everybody interested in loooong tutorials. I believe Vladimir Chopine is the legend, who posted all those hexagon tutorials for free at YT - many thanks!

It looks nice and comprehensive, but there are about 20 mentions of AI in this course, and that makes me much less interested. I don't want to do AI. I want to make art.

Edit: This isn't an invitation for a yet another discussion (argument ;) ) about AI. It's just my personal preference and choice. I don't want AI in my processes, and thus I'm not enthusiastic about supporting people who push it.

Post edited by joanna on
  • mdingmding Posts: 1,217

joanna said:

It looks nice and comprehensive, but there are about 20 mentions of AI in this course, and that makes me much less interested. I don't want to do AI. I want to make art.

Edit: This isn't an invitation for a yet another discussion (argument ;) ) about AI. It's just my personal preference and choice. I don't want AI in my processes, and thus I'm not enthusiastic about supporting people who push it.

You got a point there, as I personally also tend to dislike AI created content, and I am aware of the huge negative environmental cost of AI. As I only read the description and skipped the (many) details, I missed that aspect.

Still, after reading them now, my impression is there's a lot of information not related to AI inside (which you may already have learned elsewhere, of course) and concerning AI he doesn't seem enthusiastic to me about AI, but rather looking at it more in a way of adapting to new technologies (tools) in order to stay competitive. In contrast to the use of AI to create content, I think the use of AI to inspire, gain new ideas and get a better overview (as I understood it) is being more emphasized than the former. Nevertheless, as a mere hobbyist, I don't have to be as productive as a professional, but I am sure there still is plenty to learn for me in this tutorial especially to become better organized - that topic got me interested in the first place. 

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,297
    edited September 20

mding said:

You got a point there, as I personally also tend to dislike AI created content, and I am aware of the huge negative environmental cost of AI. As I only read the description and skipped the (many) details, I missed that aspect.

Still, after reading them now, my impression is there's a lot of information not related to AI inside (which you may already have learned elsewhere, of course) and concerning AI he doesn't seem enthusiastic to me about AI, but rather looking at it more in a way of adapting to new technologies (tools) in order to stay competitive. In contrast to the use of AI to create content, I think the use of AI to inspire, gain new ideas and get a better overview (as I understood it) is being more emphasized than the former. Nevertheless, as a mere hobbyist, I don't have to be as productive as a professional, but I am sure there still is plenty to learn for me in this tutorial especially to become better organized - that topic got me interested in the first place. 

Lines like "How AI Helps Create Amazing Storytelling Concepts" shows quite an enthusiasm for it, and "A Guide to Succeeding with AI-Generated Content" suggest content creation rather than "inspiration", while "Importance of understanding and utilizing AI tools in the creative process, especially for generating initial ideas and concepts" and "Discusses choosing models or elements, using stock photos, AI, and knowing sources" definitely highlights the use of AI. Then we have "Stresses the importance of securing rights to images and fonts to avoid legal issues, especially with AI-generated content." (if it was just for inspiration, legal issues wouldn't be the problem) and mentioning of staying on top of tools and trends in what I see is AI context.

So yeah, there are some nice mentions of limitations, being mindful, avoiding legal issues, and so on, but I consider them fluff in the light of other AI-heavy parts.

And, in the end, to me it's simple: if someone supports in any way (even by normalizing it) something that I not support and don't approve of, I do not want to support them to allow them to support things I disagree with even more (and also give them the false notion that I'm ok with what they're doing). I don't care how personally enthusiastic or not the author is about AI. For this course to have a great value, AI didn't have to be touched on at all. And it's not just mentioned in passing but addressed multiple times in the context of usage and processes is pushing AI to me. So, I choose vote with my wallet on this particular course and will likely consider not buying any other content from that vendor.

Of course, YMMV.

Post edited by joanna on
    That tutorial seems very extensive. How many hours is it ?