I got my new computer!!!!!

So how do I load my comteny to the hard drive but run daz on the ssd?

Comments

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,643
    edited July 20

dennisgray41 said:

Your question is vague and unclear. That said, I have two internal SSDs and multiple external SSDs and multiple copies of DAZ studio versions because some do not play well with former plug-ins I paid for, and use. You might want to edit your post to clarify/identify which drives are internal or external, and maybe the capacity. The most valuable info I can give you is to download your content to an external SSD to make it portable and . . . (because you will outgrow it faster than you think - blink of an eye).Keep the DAZ Studio App on the internal hard drive but always save it, and its plug-ins before you download-upgrade to a newer version because otherwise there is no turning back in time to implement a previous less bugless version that may better suit your needs. So basically, the short answer is: copy and paste the content and tell DIM and DAZ what drive it is on.

Edit: Oh, and congrats. Getting a new PC is always exciting!

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

If by SSD you mean your internal hard drive, that's the best place to install the program itself, while you can put content anywhere and simply point DS to that location as a content directory.

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 803

ArtAngel said:

dennisgray41 said:

Your question is vague and unclear. That said, I have two internal SSDs and multiple external SSDs and multiple copies of DAZ studio versions because some do not play well with former plug-ins I paid for, and use. You might want to edit your post to clarify/identify which drives are internal or external, and maybe the capacity. The most valuable info I can give you is to download your content to an external SSD to make it portable and . . . (because you will outgrow it faster than you think - blink of an eye).Keep the DAZ Studio App on the internal hard drive but always save it, and its plug-ins before you download-upgrade to a newer version because otherwise there is no turning back in time to implement a previous less bugless version that may better suit your needs. So basically, the short answer is: copy and paste the content and tell DIM and DAZ what drive it is on.

OK, I have an ssd that is 500 gig and a hdd yhat is 4 terabytes, both internal. I have never had a computer with more than one hard drive so I do not know how to save part to one drive, and part to the other drive. Also, I do not know how to save  a copy of daz when I upgrade. in the past I have always just overwritten the old program.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,132

Save the Installers  of  Daz-Studio  +   Thanx

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 620

If you use DIM to install and update content and programs, you can change the location for installing your content to any folder on any drive you want in the settings. I have it install software on my SSD C: drive and content on my HDD D: drive. If your HDD is empty, you will need to create the folder directory you want for your content first and then point DIM to it.

• Andrew_CAndrew_C Posts: 101
    Usually with an internal SSD you want it to be the boot drive, usually C:\ and have the programs you use all the time on it, like DAZ Studio, stick your content on the HDD. And as mentioned a external SSD or 2 to backup stuff.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

The only way I known to do what you want because of the CMS and other DAZ Studio data is to make a junction link (similar to UNIX system hard links) at the Windows system drive file folder locations that DAZ Studio would create during installation.

On the other hand, it's simple to save all your DIM product install data and "after product install" DAZ Content Library content to 1, 2, or as many as you please, external SSDs. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited July 22

Andrew_C said:

Usually with an internal SSD you want it to be the boot drive, usually C:\ and have the programs you use all the time on it, like DAZ Studio, stick your content on the HDD. And as mentioned a external SSD or 2 to backup stuff.

...that's how I do it.

ed3D said:

Save the Installers  of  Daz-Studio  +   Thanx

...and yes make a habit of this.  I have an installer archive that goes back to Daz ver. 1.8 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,643
    edited July 23

dennisgray41 said:

ArtAngel said:

dennisgray41 said:

OK, I have an ssd that is 500 gig and a hdd yhat is 4 terabytes, both internal. I have never had a computer with more than one hard drive so I do not know how to save part to one drive, and part to the other drive. Also, I do not know how to save  a copy of daz when I upgrade. in the past I have always just overwritten the old program.

For the future:  First, find where Daz Studio is located on your PC C: drive and copy that folder somewhere else or simply rename it. I do both.. If you are downloading a new vwersion, just rename the folder immediately prior to downloading a newer version, on your C drive, locate the file that holds the installed DAZ Studio and rename it with a prefix or suffix indicating version 4.14 or 4.15 or 4.21 4.23 etc On your other 4tb storage internal hard drive make a folder called DAZ Verions and copy the folder you renamed there. Also do the same for the plug-in . . . just in case. So you have two copies of a remamed DAZ stusio,  one where it was just renamed, another on a different drive copy of renamed folder housingThe DAZ app. Make another folder called DAZ Downloads and if using DIM in the Ready  to Download tab, uncheck install after download. Go to the Ready to install and uncheck delete after install. Download DIM to that drive and if there are new plugins, copy them over to the Daz Versions. After you install a new version copy and save that in case you need to roll back. I f you plan to upgrade, save current version, Find where the program file is located. Rename the folder with an X in front or better still the version number, or whatever makes since to you. Also do same for plug-ins. Uncheck install upon download in DIM, also uncheck delete after dowload so you can save copies of plugins etc.. Make a copy before installing and put the date as a prefix. EG 2024-07-22-WhateverName -it-Has if you don't know the version it pertains to. Install DAZ knowing if all fails you can use the other version and dump the new one until the bugs fly away.

Edit:  apologies for spelling errors but rushing so no time to correct them . . . sorry.. So I wanted to add, you also need to make a folder and call it Installed Conten, My library or whatever and install content there. This should be on the 4TB storage drive. So you have 3 folders. Daz Versions, Downloads and Installed (or whatever you named them). Despite having 2TB ssd Samsung internals, I have a SSD 8TB eternal drive for downloads, I have a 4TB external drive for Installed. And other 2 & 4 TB SSD externals for project folders and related installed files tutorials etc. But no worries, you can delete the downloads folder manually after you install, so why let DIM do it  and not have a chance to save what you feel is important to back up, prior to installing, or after installing? But I don't ever delete, because I use external drives to protect my investment, and it is a nightmare dowloading and organinzing everything all over again, when you get a new PC or the internal hard drive fails.

Looks like I wrote you a fragmented short story hahaha

Post edited by ArtAngel on