Why are Genesis 9 figures usually smaller?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

Why are Genesis 9 figures usually smaller?

Were Genesis 8 figures too large?

Or, are Genesis 9 more suited for export to other software?

How about how Genesis 9 figures fit into environments that were made during the Genesis 8 era? 

Wouldn’t those environments be too large, should we proportionally make Gen 9 larger or shrink older environments and props and make them smaller?

How does this all relate to real world metrics? 

Gen 9 figures are considerably smaller...

Was there some kind of mistake made with Genesis 8 figure height reckoning?

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

G9 has more realistically average proportions, while G8 and earlier were built like supermodels.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,388

Even in the Barbie world, shapes are veering toward more realistic proportions.  Average height for men is the US is 5'9" or 176 centimeters with the earlier Michaels being closer to 6 feet.   Also by choosing a smaller size for the androgenous  Genesis 9, one can morph for male figures and down for female figures with equal distortions. It reminds me of a joke from LA story with Steve Martin and Sarah Jessica Parker:

• Harris SanDeE*, your... your breasts feel weird.

SanDeE* Oh, that's 'cause they're real.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

So then the Genesis 8 figures would be ever so slightly oversized for the average Genesis 8 environments?

They weren't oversized, just tall.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,531
    On a personal note, I think G8F was 'about right'. My wife is 5'11", I'm 6'1", and my eldest daughter is 6'2", as are my father and brother. My youngest daughter is a real shortie at only 5'8". The rest of the world seem a bit small... G9 feminine does seem a bit closer to the average round here in height, if nothing else. To be a bit more representative of our local area in girth, start with waist measurements the same as the height and go upwards from there. Regards, Richard.

My wife is 5'1", which is a perfectly normal height for an adult human female, yet every single G8 core figure is taller than she is save three: Mrs. Chow, who is an elderly Asian woman, Kayden, who is a child, and, somewhat bafflingly, Toon Dwayne.

Thanks for the info, it has been very helpful.

I think that height is not the same as proportional size.

A 6' person does not necessarily have a larger head than a 5' person.

Gen 9 people seem smaller as if Gen 8 figures are giants or is this just the few figures I have compared are anomalies?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,921

Gordig said:

My wife is 5'1", which is a perfectly normal height for an adult human female, yet every single G8 core figure is taller than she is save three: Mrs. Chow, who is an elderly Asian woman, Kayden, who is a child, and, somewhat bafflingly, Toon Dwayne.

Worldwide, the avg size of a woman is 5' 4", unless your my wife at 5' 9"

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

RexRed said:

So then the Genesis 8 figures would be ever so slightly oversized for the average Genesis 8 environments?

Ideally things are modelled to scale, not eyeballed to look "right" with a particular figure. Ideally.

edited July 27

Does anyone know the exact real world height comparison of the non-gender specific Genesis 9 figure?

(I am not that proficient at using the measure metrics asset yet.)

I would guess somewhere around 5'6"?

And what would be the definition of proportional height adjustment versus a non-proportional height adjustment?

Post edited by RexRed on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015
    edited July 27

One unit of measurement in DS is one centimeter. Load a primitive plane at origin and move it up on the Y-axis, the value of the dial shows how high one has moved.

There's also https://www.deviantart.com/spyrorue/art/MWall-2-0-for-Daz-Studio-793218213

Nothing should be scaled to the figure, if a room is 2.5 meters high, it is 2.5 meters high irrespective of the height of the person in there

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,388

Something that may help is most of the pro characters have the measure metrics size on their page https://www.daz3d.com/michael-9-hdhttps://www.daz3d.com/michael-8https://www.daz3d.com/michael-8-1 for example. One thing that has changed is the body proportions with the earlier figures were built like track athletes and basketball players (i have relatives who are track athletes and basketball players) while current figures have more real world proportions.  My nephew is 6'7" and the world is not proportioned for him.

PerttiA said:

One unit of measurement in DS is one centimeter. Load a primitive plane at origin and move it up on the Y-axis, the value of the dial shows how high one has moved.

There's also https://www.deviantart.com/spyrorue/art/MWall-2-0-for-Daz-Studio-793218213

Nothing should be scaled to the figure, if a room is 2.5 meters high, it is 2.5 meters high irrespective of the height of the person in there

I love this MWall 2.0 for Daz Studio, a huge tip, thank you PerttiA!!! 

• artxtapartxtap Posts: 157

Gordig said:

They weren't oversized, just tall.

big bonedsmileycheekyyes

• artxtapartxtap Posts: 157

Gordig said:

G9 has more realistically average proportions, while G8 and earlier were built like supermodels.

agreed, they all had  overly long necks!!! which is obvious in real 3d, - stereographs!