tutorial for making obj in scene into props?

is there a tutorial for making objects in blender into props for free models?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

File>Import will bring an OBJ file in. You may need to try different presets to get the correct scale and orientation. You props should be UV mapped unless you are going to give them flat colours.

• i should have clearer. the obj are imported, scaled and surface textures are freely distributed. the whole scene is ready to go. i wanted to distribute the entire scene as a set, then make individual props if someone wanted to use pieces of it but im not sure where the source objs need to go so they work universally, or where the data files are saved, or if the whole thing stops being an obj and becomes an entirely new format once you do this. essentially; just because it works on my computer, it may not work on other computers the way the other user has their files mapped; think 'static' vs 'dynamic' mapping, i have no idea and no other computer to test on. does that make sense?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205
    edited August 2

If you have a number of objects, you want to have available as a full set as well as individual props, you should first save all the individual props, and then save a set for the full.

Geometry and UV files are saved in the Data folder. The set will just reference all the previously saved individual props.

Texture should be saved in the Runtime folder and allocated before you save the props.

Post edited by felis on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited August 2

When creating props and figures it is extremely important that the model loads in at the center of the scene, is loaded in the correct rotation AND is exactly 100% the size it needs to be within Daz Studio.

If everything will be static and has no moving parts then just importing them one at a time via OBJ import will be fine.  If they will having moving parts, then they need to be imported through the Figure Setup tab so you can set up the bones and orientation.  Then use the Property Hierarchy tab to do fancy rigging math (if the product needs fancy bone movement).

Either way, you will use the Joint Editor tool with the Tool Settings tab open to adjust the props center point and or bone center and end points.

To expand on what Felis is saying, it will be best if you setup a separate folder for this product where you can create a separate content library just for this product and all its part.  This will make it very easy to find and edit as you go.

The best practice for a large scene is the break it down into its parts and save each piece out one by one.  This will allow you to offer individual items within the product AND when saving the whole scene AS a Scene Subset, you will not be duplicating files in your Data folder and your product will be much smaller and optimized. 

The other reason to do individual pieces is so you can use instances with in Daz Studio to duplicate pieces that are used more than once within the scene.  This also saves on product size and reduces resource use when rendering.  

If you are willing to buy a tutorial, I would suggest this one - https://www.daz3d.com/rigging-vehicles-and-mechs-in-daz-studio

Post edited by Mattymanx on