Where's the roughness?

GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

I never really looked through textures until I started exporting to other programs, and one thing that struck me is that G8 figures seem to very rarely include roughness maps, opting for specular instead (and/or glossiness). G8.1 characters, on the other hand, include roughness maps (and frequently AO as well), at least for the core figures, and G9 continued that trend. Does anyone know if there was a reason for this? Did the switch to PBRSkin render specular maps obsolete or something? Did Daz just switch to roughness maps for G8.1 and PAs followed suit? I'm trying to find some G8M roughness maps for a character I'm working on, and I literally haven't found any so far. Every character from every PA I've thought to look in so far has specular maps.

Comments

• ZiconZicon Posts: 273

Moving from specular to roughness maps was a shift in 3D in general, to my great personal annoyance. "Lighter is shinier" was easy and logical for my brain to understand, I'm still failing to truly grasp "lighter is rougher".

For the most part, you can just invert a specular map to plug it into roughness.