"Point At" parameter stopped working

Not sure what is going on, but all of a sudden, the "point at" parameter stopped working. It started with lights (which I use a lot), but I just tested it with camera too. Any answers. I tried a fresh install, but maybe didn't do it properly. Am going to try again but not sure it will help so curious about a setting of some type. It actually freezes Daz Studio so I am forced to restart program.

Post edited by pickett_chuck_d8cad7ed95 on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Which object are you trying 'point at'.

And what happens when you try? Nothing?

• Felis, thanks for responding. I am having problems responding back with a quote.

Not just nothing. Daz Studio basically freezes up. I tried waiting for it to respond but nothing. I tested by creating a new file with just a base g8 file and a light just to make sure. Then a g8 and a camera and tried to point the camera. I can aim things manually, but I cannot touch that "point at" parameter even with nothing in scene without Daz freezing up. I have a log file but not sure how to read it or what to do with it. I have tried fresh installs but not sure I am actually installing totally fresh since other eras like "Duplicate Formulas found in files. Make sure that the content is properly installed. See the log file for more details." come up when I load a g9 which I always just ignore, but didn't expect to see them after a fresh install

Thanks for the look

• Tried attaching my log file. This is after at least one fresh install. I can make heads or tails out of these things, but I need to learn.

txt
    txt
    log_daz_080224.txt
    edited August 2

I just tried, 'point at' does not leave any entries in the log.

If you make a very simple scene with a primitive and a camera, can you then use 'point at'?

I looked in your log, are you using a standard camera, or one from a product?

Post edited by felis on
  • felis said:

I just tried, 'point at' does not leave any entries in the log.

If you make a very simple scene with a primitive and a camera, can you then use 'point at'?

I looked in your log, are you using a standard camera, or one from a product?

I cannot even touch that parameter with a completely empty scene without daz needing to be shut down with task manager

Hmm, not sure what to suggest. I have not seen others mentioning errors with that.

When you say freshly install, is it then Daz Studio? I would assume that that function is part of DS itself.

You could try to "buy" the beta https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta and install that.

The beta can only be installed with DIM. And in order to see it you need to click the gear icon, and in Advanced Settings > Downloads > Release Channels Tag enable 'Public Build'.

• felis said:

Hmm, not sure what to suggest. I have not seen others mentioning errors with that.

When you say freshly install, is it then Daz Studio? I would assume that that function is part of DS itself.

You could try to "buy" the beta https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta and install that.

The beta can only be installed with DIM. And in order to see it you need to click the gear icon, and in Advanced Settings > Downloads > Release Channels Tag enable 'Public Build'.

I am going to try this tomorrow. I am not at my computer right now. I was going to try and reset my entire computer, but will try this first. Do I have to uninstall my other version or just install this along side?

The beta can coexist with the ordinairy releases. So you can essentially run them in parallel.

You will have to install starter essentials for the beta also, as they are independent. But stat should be clear as soon as you enable public build. I can't remember if the beta inherit the content manager setting. If not you need to set up your content libraries (if different from default)

• felis said:

The beta can coexist with the ordinairy releases. So you can essentially run them in parallel.

You will have to install starter essentials for the beta also, as they are independent. But stat should be clear as soon as you enable public build. I can't remember if the beta inherit the content manager setting. If not you need to set up your content libraries (if different from default)

You can use gen 8 and 9 with this? I only see 1,2,3 listed with the install. Also, what does "enable public build" mean? I have installed with install manager before, but I normally like to do manual so I can examine files before using them

You can use everything. I am primarily using the beta.

It looks like I am remembering wrong, that there isn't dedicated essentials. I looked in DIM and there is only one per generation, so it is shared. The reason I thought it, might be that I sometimes installs essentials together with a updated beta, but that is probably needed for beta functionality.

The reason you see the early ones might be that you haven't installed them earlier.

• felis said:

It looks like I am remembering wrong, that there isn't dedicated essentials. I looked in DIM and there is only one per generation, so it is shared. The reason I thought it, might be that I sometimes installs essentials together with a updated beta, but that is probably needed for beta functionality.

The reason you see the early ones might be that you haven't installed them earlier.

I hope this works. I feel like something may be blocking the parameters in the regular. If this doesn't do it, I will have to factory reset my laptop. Will let you know what happens. I bought a Lenevo and I should have stuck with Acer Predator. I wanted a better GPU and a 4Tb ssd was pre-installed, but the laptop has been giving me trouble and my old predators never did
  • felis said:

Don't want to jump to conclusions, but this beta version seems to be working fine. Thanks

That is good.

But still strange what might have happened.

• edited August 3
    felis said:

That is good.

But still strange what might have happened.

Yeah I wish I knew. I am opening files where I think it started, but all is good for now. I may end of resetting laptop anyway eventually because I kind of have way too much content that I don't even use and it makes things slow. Thanks, though
    Post edited by pickett_chuck_d8cad7ed95 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

Presumably a setting, since the beta and general release have separate settings.

• Presumably a setting, since the beta and general release have separate settings.

I could have been pushing keyboard letters to move faster through the content, but I did wipe out and reinstall the program and nothing changed, and I think I got everything for a clean install, but not sure.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't touch settings. You could use Daz Studio Pro 4.12 - instances  to start an instance with clean settings and see if that works.

• Uninstalling and reinstalling won't touch settings. You could use Daz Studio Pro 4.12 - instances  to start an instance with clean settings and see if that works.

I will check this out. Thanks.
  • By the way, this beta version is running way better for me than the stable release. That thing was constantly crashing and freezing up