I thought omni hair materials were usable on other figures?

I thought omni hair materials were usable on other figures?

I thought I read somewhere that omni hair materials could be interchanged from vendor to vendor.

This does not seem to be the case.

Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

RexRed said:

Am I doing something wrong?

Without knowing what you're doing, we have no way to know.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406

theres a difference between a material and a shader.

Materials are presets that can only be applied to the thing they are a preset for.

Shaders can be applied to any surface. Thus you can apply omnihair shaders to any surface. But they are intended for use on strand hair/curves, so should ideally only be applied to such.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

I am not sure how this turned into a debate on nomenclature, but strictly:

Shader - code for one or mo render engines specifying how something, usually a surface on an object, should behave in the render

Shader preset - settings file to load and set values for a shader on any selected surface on any selected object
    Materials preset - settings file to load and set values for a shader on any surface with a matching name for the names in the preset on any selected objects
    Hierarchical Materials preset - settings file to load and set values for a shader for neamed surfaces on certain objects parented to a specific root node

Richard Haseltine said:

Shader - code for one or mo render engines specifying how something, usually a surface on an object, should behave in the render

Shader preset - settings file to load and set values for a shader on any selected surface on any selected object
    Materials preset - settings file to load and set values for a shader on any surface with a matching name for the names in the preset on any selected objects
    Hierarchical Materials preset - settings file to load and set values for a shader for neamed surfaces on certain objects parented to a specific root node

It wasn't a "debate" about nomenclature. It's an important clarification if the OP is trying to apply a material preset to a product for which it was not made.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301
    edited August 3

I thought that was the point that Omni "materials" could be used across vendors.

All other hair types can accept shaders, I was under the impression that Omni was special in this regard that it could interchange "materials".

Post edited by RexRed on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Omnihair is no different from other products.

A material is for a specific product, while a shader can be applied to any surface.

You could get something like https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs

That said, as the UV for omnihair is pretty generic, you can apply a material to the corresponding hair, and then you can copy the surface and paste to a hair of your choise.

RexRed said:

I would think strands should not be so unique that they cannot make materials universal, with a little tweaking.

I guess my point is that Omni materials should not be proprietary.

Omni materials aren't "proprietary", they're just materials. Like any other material presets, they're looking for surfaces with a particular name, and different hairs have surfaces with different names.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277
    edited August 3

Mat or H.Mat Presets in a hair product cannot be direclty used on other hair products as they're node-based that'll check Node Name as well as surfaces names when being applied...

In your case, you can only save a Shader Preset first of all from one hair (with Omni preset), then apply it to the corresponding surface(s) of other hairs.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

Gordig said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It wasn't a "debate" about nomenclature. It's an important clarification if the OP is trying to apply a material preset to a product for which it was not made.

Sorry, I was thinking this was another thread where there had been a long exchange on the different preset types and the underlying shader code.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301
    edited August 4

Thanks for the info here, I think I understand now.

I will try copying the individual shaders of the omni hair and see if I can get that to work.

The omni shader is new to me and I still can't readily get my way around when shine is too strong and getting the right blend of base color and hair dye.

It seems endless and arbitrarily sliding sliders and nothing happens.

I will eventually figure these out.

Some omni hair has more nodes too just adds to the confusion.

The main problems is that most omni hair never has an actual black color but it is usually, if not always, a gray.

Some people actually have dark black hair and not shiny gray.

But it seems all the options are always this shiny gray.

And I slide sliders to get it actual black often to no avail.

I just wish they would also give us an actual black hair option.

It would be nice if Daz PAs came out with another hair color pack and gave us more black hair options.

Even the current packs seem light on actual "jet black" options. 

This has been the case for a long time... Even with Iray and many hair products where you get gray for black and have to spend time fixing it.

What is up with this? Black is black, not shiny gray.

If you must give us shiny gray, fine, but give us non shiny black too.smiley

Post edited by RexRed on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,205
    edited August 4

It is reflections that makes it shinny grey.

I don't think you in real life can have a hair that doesn't shinne - at least some.

You can dial up roughness, although I don't know the best way to reduce gloss,

THis is with a high dye value, as dye apperently gives less shinne.

Onmihair_black_darker_highdye.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by felis on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406

Just read this: https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/materials-and-rendering/latest/materials.html

Regarding dye parameter:

For dyed hair, one should set the melanin concentration parameter to 0.0; otherwise, melanin and pheomelanin will darken the dye color.

For realistic hair color, set this parameter to white, and adjust the melanin concentration parameter instead.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    Check the Line Tessellation in the Parameters pane. It should be set to 0 for strand based Omni shader hair. Some hair products (HS Mischief Hair, for example) are incorrectly set to Line Tessellation 1, and they render with ridiculous shine. Setting it to 0 corrects that.