Converted some figures from Genesis 3 Male to Genesis 8 - Why do the eyes look so flat?

GatorGator Posts: 1,294

I converted a few characters from Genesis 3 male to Genesis 8, due to some strangeness with the PBR shader and fingernails.  Couldn't find a way around it.

So I tried converting them to Genesis 8, and IMO it came out pretty good.  One strange thing, the eyes look flat (less reflection) on the G8 figure.  They're the same pose, but I also swapped the figures left to right to be sure it's not the lighting and I got the same results (G8's eyes look more flat).  I also had the same results with another figure I transferred.

It may have been a mistake, but I just applied the material with a preset over on the G8 figure.  Same results with each surface with a shader preset.  Perhaps I'm wrong, I thought the base Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 use the same UVs.

Jared_G8M_Comparison.jpg
3840 x 2160 - 1M

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277

Go to Surfaces pane > select Cornea surface, check the slots of Dual Lobe and Top Coat layers, especially Weight, Reflectivity and Roughness values, and tweak them accordingly to have proper reflection.

Or, you can directly save a Shader Preset from another G8M's Cornea surface with PBRSkin shader, then apply the shader to the Cornea to the converted character by using Ctrl + Apply, so as to apply the preset without Texture maps (choose "Ignore" in Image dropdown list...)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

the eye whites aren't artificially white

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294
    edited August 4

crosswind said:

Go to Surfaces pane > select Cornea surface, check the slots of Dual Lobe and Top Coat layers, especially Weight, Reflectivity and Roughness values, and tweak them accordingly to have proper reflection.

Or, you can directly save a Shader Preset from another G8M's Cornea surface with PBRSkin shader, then apply the shader to the Cornea to the converted character by using Ctrl + Apply, so as to apply the preset without Texture maps (choose "Ignore" in Image dropdown list...)

Thanks for the reply Crosswind, I can't believe I forgot the Ctrl + Apply trick.

Didn't work though.  What did work, was to save out a material preset another native Gen8 Male figure and totally apply everything, then manually change the textures. I don't know why that would work and Ctrl + Apply and ignore textures did not.

It still didn't help me.  sad

Genesis 3 Male and Genesis 8 Male eyes are not exactly the same.  The UV mapping on the iris is smaller - you can see the hard lines around the iris here.  I scaled the iris, that worked, but then it doesn't line up with the sclera.  What a PITA.  I haven't found any eyes as nice as what I've been using with Genesis 3.  I hate how figures seem to take some steps forward and some steps back.

Is there some template to help?  Or someone found exactly how much to scale?  Maybe I try going to Gen 9, but I'm not that fond of that figure.  frown

Jared_Eyes_Bad_Iris.jpg
    1375 x 834 - 145K
    Post edited by Gator on
  • GatorGator Posts: 1,294

Found another post that mentioned there's templates in the Starter Essentials pack.  That made editing the textures far easier.  I was able to edit them satisfactorily.  smiley

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909
    edited August 7
    Post edited by Hylas on