Why is my viewport flashing yellow

dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 803
edited August 3 in The Commons

[Why is my viewport flashing yellow] And while I am asking dumb questionns again because I forgot what happened, what do I do when I select a light and it makkes everything black instead?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

Which Tool is active? If it is a tool that selects nodes what is the Highlight Style in Draw Settings?

Do you mean select light or add light? By default the headlamp is enabled, a light that shines from the view position until an actual light is added to the scene - so the first time you add a light with a node (Distand, Spot, Point) the headlamp gets switched off. You can get a similar effect by turning off Preview Lights, in the Window menu or cmd/ctrl L.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

For lights, Windows > Preview Light, or Ctrl L.

For yellow, you are hoovering over an object that is selectable. If you don't want it in the scene tab, click the little checkmark for the object so it becomes a x (not selectable).

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 803

I found the trouble. It is bounding box. When I installed Daz in the new computer, it had "bounding box and surface" selected. I don't even know what that setting is for.

The other issue is not the headlammp. I happens when a light is selected but therde is no light. I have seen it a long time ago, but I do not remember the fix. I know it is a 2 key action like control x. I seem to recall it had something to do with Iray.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602
    edited August 7

dennisgray41 said:

I found the trouble. It is bounding box. When I installed Daz in the new computer, it had "bounding box and surface" selected. I don't even know what that setting is for.

The other issue is not the headlammp. I happens when a light is selected but therde is no light. I have seen it a long time ago, but I do not remember the fix. I know it is a 2 key action like control x. I seem to recall it had something to do with Iray.

I’m by no stretch of the imagination an expert in Daz Studio.  I’m not familiar with the issue of selecting a light in a scene and it making everything black.  I have, though, encountered the situation of loading a product’s scene and cameras with the viewport in Texture Shaded mode where everything is lighted by the default light but when I select one of the scene’s cameras, everything in the scene turns black.  I think it is due to how the cameras were set up by the PA; when I check them, the headlamp is turned off.  As Richard alluded to in his reply above, the default headlamp gets turned off when the one of the product’s cameras is selected.  I can return lighting to the scene by turning the default headlamp back on by using the Ctrl-L keystroke combination.

If I load the same scene and cameras with the viewport in Iray mode and then select one of the product’s cameras, the scene stays lit even though the camera’s headlamp is off

Glad to read that you found the bounding box solution to the viewport highlighting surfaces yellow as your mouse pointer passes over them.  That was one of the most annoying aspects of using Daz Studio when it was introduced.  I’m glad that I quickly found the bounding box remedy in a video by Jay Versluis (The WP Guru) on his YouTube channel.  I’ve seen many YouTube and live presentations (some very recently) by Pas where they have not remedied this situation but complain in the video or presentation about it.  If you want/need to have surfaces highlighted in yellow as you pass over them – and sometimes it is desired – you can turn that on by selecting the Surface Selection Tool if you have it in your Toolbar.  If it’s not there, you can either add it or get to it via the Tools menu.  When you no longer need surfaces highlighted, simply choose another tool to deselect Surface Selection Tool.

Surface Selection Tool in Toolbar.jpg
    1810 x 461 - 193K
    Surface Selection Tool in Tools menu.jpg
    1810 x 454 - 193K
    Post edited by jjoyner on