Exponentially more powerful new rig - No-brainer settings tweaks?

mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 75

Morning folks,

Just finished setting up my new Corsair Vengeance i7400 and I've gotten DAZ mostly ported over via swapping the drives it used to be on then running a clean install of studio, reconnecting various directories for DIM, etc. 

This is exponentially more powerful than my previous, frankenstein rig -- geforce 4070 vs 1080, i7-i13700 vs i4770k, 32gb DDR5 ram vs 12gb (ddr3? I don't even remember, it was 2011), OS on a m.2 instead of standard SSD.

I haven't put my libraries or the DAZ installation on the OS drive because I USUALLY like to keep the OS drive fairly clutter free in case there's ever an issue with it and it needs to do a full reformat, but HOLY MOLY are m.2's fast...I might reconsider.

The performance increase is insane (real-time feedback on Iray draw mode surprise God I can't wait to play with Redshift in C4D), and I'm sure I kneecapped my old install to accommadate the rig.  Since all my old settings ported over, just looking to get a laundry list of no brainer settings that can probably be bumped up now for normal use.

Off the top of my head:

Preferences>Interface>Texture Resources can probably be maxed out, usually only did that before on simple scenes.

Iray Render Settings Texture Compression could probably be thrown to 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 for standard use instead of just final, large format renders.

Post edited by mmdestiny on

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

Things to put on the m.2 - temporary and cache files (Studio ->edit -> preferences -> general) and the CMS database.

• mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 75

namffuak said:

Things to put on the m.2 - temporary and cache files (Studio ->edit -> preferences -> general) and the CMS database.

Thanks.  Either by oversight or accident, I already had all the AppData Roaming folders like cache, temp, and CMS mapped to the OS drive previously, so that carried over when I copied things 1:1.