What artists have influenced your art/imagery?

dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 505
edited August 5 in Art Studio

[What artists have influenced your art/imagery?]

For me there are many, but two of the most influential are Boris Vallejo and Alberto Vargas.

I remember going to book stores as a child and rushing to the sci-fi/fantasy section just to view the book covers. I was always (and still am) most enamored by the art signed "Boris". I love his use of vibrant color, powerful physiques, and how he lifts the characters from the background with light and shadow.

One of my images influenced by the works of Boris Vallejo. 

The first Vargas image I remember seeing was the cover of The Cars "Candy-O" and I knew I had to make images like that. I learned to use an airbrush because of Vargas. It changed my life. Though these days it is a digital airbrush in GIMP, I paint with an airbrush nearly everyday, all because of Alberto Vargas. 

One of my images influenced by the works of Alberto Vargas.

What artists have influenced you? Bonus points if you post some examples of your renders!

When Robots Attack B V style.jpg
1042 x 1250 - 2M
The Red Head Vargas style.jpg
1146 x 1250 - 680K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,149

Most of my art is inspired by older cartoons, namely Looney Tunes, MGM/Tex Avery, and late 1970s/1980s anime. Live-action action flicks from this era were also influential. For specific visual fine art inspiration, I was always drawn to art nouveau because I liked the mix of detailed, yet simplistic soft-shaded, kind of flat coloring. (Maybe that's why I loved the earlier Grand Theft Auto box art.) Sometimes my hand drawn art looks like this, but not the colors. Too gritty, scratchy, and dark.

My art, either hand drawn or rendered seldom resembles the inspiration. Especially the renders, they're all just random somewhat bright/regular lit contemporary portraits, and not dark action-adventure. Maybe that's why the vast majority of my renders are just for sketching/hand drawn reference purposes.

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 505

I too was quite influenced by cartoons/anime, and comics as well.
     I have always found it fascinating how a person can be inspired by something and end up in such a radically diffrent place with their finished work. That is very cool!
     You mentioned hand drawn art, what is your preferred medium?

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 882
    edited August 5

Interesting idea for a thread, I hope more will join and I can learn from other styles. @dtrscbrutal thanks to you I now learned of Alberto Vargas, and after a quick googe search I now know I really like his work, and I am always looking for things that inspire me.

When I started learning Daz, about three years ago, I really wanted to learn the lighting of 17th century painters of the Dutch and Italian schools so they still have a big influence on me, and I always start a render with that type of lighting and then move things around. I particularly like Carravagio, Vermeer and Nicolaes Maes. Examples:

After I kind of understood Chiaroscuro I learned about Henry Cartier-Bresson and fell in love with his work that makes use of negative space and dynamic symmetry, it has been kind of an obession for me ever since. Even though he was a street photographer that worked in black and white, there is just so much in his work to learn from that I know I still have a long way to go:

Because of Henry Cartier-Bresson I became more interested in Cinematography and Photography and accumullated a nice collection of images on Pinterest and now get influenced by what ever makes that board. Today I am mostly interested in experimenting with cinematic styles, I really like Bruno Delbonnel (worked with Wes Anderson, Coen Brothers and Tim Burton), Andrzej Sekuła (worked with Quentin Tarantino) and Terry Gilliam.

I am sure the journey will continue and will pickup more source of inspiration with the years, but I think these are the most important for me at the moment. In the future I would like to get into Alphonse Mucha and Gustav Klimt, but I haven't found away to incorporate their styles in to my own renders yet.

Post edited by BlueFingers on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474

Moved to Art Studio since that is a better place for render threads.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,531

Ahh. Influencers.

I suppose I could mention a lot of 2D artists I admire (Rodney Matthews, Michael Whelan, Boris, Doris & Julie Valejo, Jim Burns, Sorayama (in his SFW phase) and Chris Achilleos), all of whose work I admire. And it'd be completely true, but only up to a point.

In truth, the Artist who has influenced my work most is a DAZ PA; Howie Farkes. Without his 'Artistry' in coding & modelling, over a third of my recent images - the sort of landscapes, featuring one or more figures, I have always wanted to create - would have been impossible. Possibly a different answer to the expected one, but absolutely true. I don't follow an artist's style, not really having a claim to any hint of artistry or artistic talent, but I do know what leaves my creativity feeling as if its had some exercise, and it doesn't really fit a category of 'In the style of..<famous artist name>'. And there are a goodly few famous artists I actively don't want to recreate in 3D (think avante guarde, or anything that could get into 'Modern Art' galleries like the Tate) - though I suppose that's a type of influence too.

Regards,

Richard.

@BlueFingers Wonderful imagry! Knowing I helped steer someone towards Vargas made my day! You have an incredibly diverse sphere of influencers, that is awesome! Lighting in Iray gave me a whole new appreciation for good cinematography and has definitely had an effect on my art. Great post, I really enjoyed reading it.

@richardandtracy Achilleos is definetly on my list as well, so is Sorayama, though some of his work is a a bit too overt for me. I can say the same for Vargas and several others too.
     I suspect that Howie Farkes would make a lot of peoples lists. He made such a powerful tool for creating landscapes in 3D. 
     I find it fascinating how people go about the creative process, so many ways, different techniques, different points of view, and at the end of it is a song, a movie, an image. I think that is pretty wonderful. Thank you for posting!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,531
    edited August 6

I completely forgot one of my all time great 2D artists, and one I have spent over 100 hrs recreating an image of his. How stupid is that?

That was Luis Royo. I adore 'A Touch of Ice' and have a PVC statuette of the image (https://www.collectiblesdirect.co.uk/fantasy-figure-gallery-pvc-statue-the-touch-of-ice-luis-royo-15-cm.html). However, the image I cross stitched (100hrs) was the one below. I stitched and modified the image with Royo's permission:

That was the last time I used that size stitch, since have halved the size and increased the colours to not less than 117, as the image gets much more detailed.

Regards,

Richard

Uranos Drops.jpg
    500 x 715 - 46K
    Sdc13531a.jpg
    392 x 800 - 250K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Oh, I don't have any as i don't know the famous art world too well. I've mostly tried to copy techniques, not subject matter, used by DAZ Stuio users, eg, dtrscbrutal's renders are really good. Mimicmolly. SereneNight, and so on.

@richardandtracy That is an amazing piece of work, Beautiful job!
     Royo is an incredible artist.

@nonesuch00 Thank you! SereneNight is on my list too. 
     I was on the fence about getting into 3d, until I saw the works of Kibosh, Shibashake, and junk,  I was all in after that. Everyone I was in the new user challenge with, and the community volunteers there are all influences on me and my art the last several years. There is no need for someone who influenced you to be one of the greats or prominent in art history. We are all on our own journeys. I appreciate your post.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,904

I came at 3D art sideways. I've been a musician all my life, and never really had much interest in visual arts. I don't really reference other artists, arguably to my detriment, so I don't know if I could point to any influences. My favorite artist is MC Escher, and apart from one render recreating one of his pieces, I wouldn't say you'd see his influence anywhere in my work.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 882

dtrscbrutal said:
     I was on the fence about getting into 3d, until I saw the works of Kibosh, Shibashake, and junk,  I was all in after that.

That is actually a great point, I learned so much from Kibosh and junk, and they were both so helpul in the gallery to me that they could qualify as an influence for me as well. I would add Pitmatic and Splatterbaby too for me to that list. Saidge42 is also an influence for me as I love her style. I made these a while ago as kind of a study of her style:

hugomorate inspired me to, but more from  a "getting-the-most-out-of-DS"-perspective as he does not use any Post-Work at all and his renders look so fiinished, if you know what I mean. He really motivated me to explore all the nooks and crannies of the all the rendering parameters but more specifically Tone Mapping.

Now I try to return the favour as best as I can by explaining what I do to others when they ask or by including it in the desciptions of my renders in the gallery.

@Gordig While this forum is certainly focused on visual media I would bet many artists, myself included, would list artists from other areas. I am very influenced by music, TV/movies, books, and even fashion and the world around me to a degree. Thanks for posting!

@BlueFingers Those are great images! Saidge42 is another on my list as well.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

Too many to mention, but two of the big ones are Jim Lee and Etienne/Stephen/Dom Orejudos (very NSFW!)

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 628

I'm not educated in classic artists so I don't have anyone there to name. 

As far as what inspires me, I have to admit that I get ideas seeing the promo pictures that PA's use to market their products. I don't always buy the product (wish I could, LOL) but I think I learn about what I like and what I don't like to see then go on to try to learn the aspect that got my creative juices flowing (DOF, camera placement, prop usage, overall scene, etc.) I love Aeon Soul, DarwinsMishap, Herschel Hoffmeyer, Stonemason, and Dreamlight just to name a few. Some others I am encouraged by here in the forums include Serene Night and many others that my brain is struggling to name (too early, need coffee.) 

Over on Deviant Art, there are simply too many artists to name. The one that moved me the most is Mavrosh. I am encouraged to try to make my own hair in picture (not that I am good enough to post anything I've done) based on what Mavrosh does to the Drow in their gallery. 

-Artsy

• junkjunk Posts: 1,303
    edited August 16

If we're only doing two, the last six months have been BlueFingers and midgard299.  BlueFingers is the coolest as they always let us know how they did something, where the inspiration is coming from, etc.  Plus they spread the love around to every user in the gallery and I wish every one of us did that more freely.  It's a free world to do or not do but how cool it is to help everyone.  midgard seems to make a lot of the promo's and is just absolutely incredible in their work.

Honestly I seem to find something cool in most every piece of posted work from beginner to master.  Just the fact that someone is putting their stuff out there to be looked at is awesome sauce.

Like ArtsyDragon, I've not studied art but seem to love the epic drawings of Boris Vallejo and pop-fiction art like Vic Prezio.

BTW, just found this thread and pretty cool that it exists and what people are sharing.  

Post edited by junk on

@Hylas "Too many to mention" the same with me. Lee's work is legendary. Thank you for posting!

@ArtsyDragon Some of the promo art is incredible, and definetely an influence for me also. Many of the PAs products have inspired and influenced my art as well. Great post!

@junk I agree with everything you wrote. I would love to be more active in the gallery but my connection does not work well with it, lock ups, crashes, failures to load/upload. I am sorry to say I have mostly given up on it.sad I did recently read a post by a mod that stated Daz is making changes to the gallery, so maybe there is hope. So good to hear from you Thomas! 

• AuroratrekAuroratrek Posts: 218
    edited August 20

I guess I would credit mostly book illustrators like N.C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish, Frank Frazetta, and the Brothers Hildebrandt. I love their stylized look, their use of light and saturated color--particularly in their shadows--and their ability to tell a story in a single image. I use Daz assets for animation, but I try to make any individual frame an image that could stand on its own. 

Post edited by Auroratrek on

I guess I would credit mostly book illustrators like N.C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish, Frank Frazetta, and the Brothers Hildebrandt. I love their stylized look, their use of light and saturated color--particularly in their shadows--and their ability to tell a story in a single image. I use Daz assets for animation, but I try to make any individual frame an image that could stand on its own.

A short test video:

• PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 872

The sheer variety of what you can do with 3D amazes me and the gallery expemplifies that I think. When I was evaluating DAZ to see if I could use it for my projects I was browsing the gallery and then I saw Kibosh's work and from that moment on I was all in! it really is my thing.

I have always liked the Pre-Raphaelite's but there is a lot of 19th century going into the 20th that is very inspiring, also postcards from 1900 to the 1920s had some very interesting imagery that I think is pure Daz material for example the work of raphael kirchner if he ws around now he would be doing DAZ promos.

More modern graphic design is very inspiring too in modern publishing.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

Auroratrek said:

A short test video:

Looking forward to see what she is looking at.

FirstBastion said:

Auroratrek said:

A short test video:

Looking forward to see what she is looking at.

Thanks! I'm working on Chapter 4 of my series starring this character.