Editing texture material for a prop?

Is there any way to edit a texture of a certain element. In my case it is about this product: Runway for Fashion Show | Daz 3D As You see it includes ad banner saying   "Your Brand". Can edit this for something less generic in DAZ? Or external program like gimp is the only way?

Comments

• You need to change the map, so that is really a job for an external image-editing tool. I am not saying it couldn't be done with a script, but that certainly wouldn't be an easier route.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

Yes, you can use an external image editor to do this easily enough.

There might be a better way to locate the actual image file but what I do is as follows:

1. Change to the surface tool
    2. Click on the surface you want to change
    3. The correct surface should now be highlighted in the Surfaces panel
    4. Hover over the little thumbnail image next to BaseColor and mentally note the filename currently being used
    5. Click on the image and select browse which will open a File Explorer "Open Dialog" at the folder containging the currently used graphic
    6. Find the file you memorised above, right click and copy (in this instance: /Library/Runtime/textures/Havanalibere/Runway for fashion show/Runway/Logo.png)
    7. In a separate File Explorer window navigate to a suitable place under your existing "My Library" and paste the image
    8. Open the copied image in your image editor of choice
    9. Make your changes using the existing image as a guide of where things are (some images are straight forward like the one you are wanting to edit but some are mapped images with bits all over the place).
    10. Save your image - either overwriting the copied file or creating a new file.
    11. In the File Explorer window containing your copied graphic, click on the URL bar and copy the path
    12. Go back to your "Open Dialog" from Daz, click the URL bar and paste the path - this changes to the folder containing your copied graphic
    13. Select the file you created and click OK
    14. The scene should now update with your edited graphic in place.

However, be warned that while the graphic you have created using these steps can be used in your own scenes, it can never be distributed on it's own to anyone else as it would violate the terms of use. This is because you used an existing graphic as the base/template. If you wanted to send the amended graphic to anyone else for any reason then you would need to start your custom graphic from a blank canvas or use one of the supplied template files - which that particular product does not have.

• Richard Haseltine said:

You need to change the map, so that is really a job for an external image-editing tool. I am not saying it couldn't be done with a script, but that certainly wouldn't be an easier route.

what extension should the map file has and where to find it? When I browse for the banner file location i have three files. One .duf and two pngs from which one has ".tip" added to file name. Should i just edit the pngs? 

• ancanar_3dfb1cf89d said:

Richard Haseltine said:

You need to change the map, so that is really a job for an external image-editing tool. I am not saying it couldn't be done with a script, but that certainly wouldn't be an easier route.

what extension should the map file has and where to find it? When I browse for the banner file location i have three files. One .duf and two pngs from which one has ".tip" added to file name. Should i just edit the pngs? 

Those are the presets that apply the images, theya re not the images themselves. For content installed through Daz Studio you can right-click on any of its files in Smart Content etc. and select Browse to File Location, then move up until you see the Runtime and then  down through that, then textures, then the product-specific folders to get to the map; for content installed through Install Manager you can right-click on the entry in the Installed tab, right-click>Show Installed Files, and click the link for the file you want to edit. Or, as noted, you can use the Surfaces pane (which is how you will apply the modified map).

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277
    edited August 12

Select "Fashion Show Advertisement" Prop in Scene pane, go to Surfaces pane, in Base Color slot, you'll find the texture map: Logo.png. Modify it with GIMP to add what you want. Then place the modified one in the same slot, and change Base color and or other settings on its surface as needed...

SNAG-2024-8-12-019.png
    2021 x 1374 - 292K
    SNAG-2024-8-12-020.png
    2560 x 1392 - 104K
    SNAG-2024-8-12-021.png
    2026 x 1390 - 3M
    Post edited by crosswind on