d-Force Volta hair

Prior to the latest update of Daz, the d-Force Volta hair for G8M worked great. I have created several character dufs with it when I was using the older version of Daz. Now, when I attempt to use one of those dufs (merge) it gives me whispy hair and looks crappy. I have the hair parented to my G8M. I've deleted and reinstalled the Volta hair. What have I missed? Still learning, and d-Force is complicated, at best, for newbies. Attached are the "perspective view" and the rendered image.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 174752.png
266 x 327 - 72K
daz-trel.png
618 x 800 - 477K

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

I am assuming that second image is from an Iray preview and not an actual render?  I believe it's like that by default for performance reasons and it should look correct in a full render.

If you want to change this for the preview then select the "Volta Hair dForce G8M" underneath the Base hair object and in Parameters tab -> Volta Hair dForce G8M -> Simulation click the button to "Preview PR Hairs".

If that second image was an actual render and not just a preview then perhaps one of the other two options above the "Preview PR Hairs" has been switched off by accident?

• Which tool is active? It shouldn't be one of the development/content creation tools.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    Yes, be sure you don't have things like Geometry Editor or Mesh Grabber selected as your tool. Select the Universal tool or the Node Select tool and render again. 99.99 percent chance it will be fine. The issue has nothing to do with the DS update and everything to do with the selected tool. This is by design, because PAs need that behavior while using certain tools to create dForce hair, as I understand it.
  • barbult said:

Yes, be sure you don't have things like Geometry Editor or Mesh Grabber selected as your tool. Select the Universal tool or the Node Select tool and render again. 99.99 percent chance it will be fine. The issue has nothing to do with the DS update and everything to do with the selected tool. This is by design, because PAs need that behavior while using certain tools to create dForce hair, as I understand it.

More than just PAs in general, seeing the actual mesh is required for many (if not all) uses of several of the tools (e.g. you need to be able to see the hidden graft faces to edit the group members).

• The first image is the preview in Daz. The second image is the fully rendered picture. 

edited August 12

Please see the tool discussions above. The tool selection will affect the final render.

Post edited by barbult on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277

As others said, make sure you DO NOT have Geometry Editor, Node Weight Brush, Mesh Grabber tools activated before rendering. Just hit Alt + Shift + U before render, see if it works.

• I did the Alt+Shift+U before render and it worked. THANKS!!!

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277

lore_d9f4b6e6d1 said:

I did the Alt+Shift+U before render and it worked. THANKS!!!

Great! No problem ~ yes

Yes, that confirms that it was a selected tool problem. The Alt+Shift+U changes the selected tool to the Universal tool, as we asked you to do. It is as keyboard shortcut for the tool. Now with Crosswind's help, you have a quick way of selecting that tool before rendering.