Moving DAZ Studio and content to new PC

I am building up a new desktop conputer.  I have about 120 GB of content I need to move to the new computer and have it work with DAZ Studio.  What is the best way to do that so that DAZ Studio can find the content?

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781
    edited August 16
    1. Content DB Maintenance -> Export metadata (to save any changes you have made)
    2. Content Director Manager -> Expand all sections and take a screnshot (so you know how the old setup was configured)
    3. Copy the entire library folder as-is to the new machine (repeat for each library you have configured)
    4. Copy the Manifest folder from DIM to the new machine (so your new machine will know what is installed)
    5. In DIM on the new machine link up the manifest folder (if you did not override the default) and the location of your main library
    6. In Daz Studio on the new machine add the libraries as per the screenshot you made (adjusting if necessary based on new locations on the new machine)
    7. Content DB Maintenance -> Re-import metadata -> You should see all your expected products pre-checked -> click OK
    8. Make a cup of tea while you wait for the process to complete

That's the basics I think. If you have made changes to your style/layout/menus those won't be copied over. Not sure if you can do that, particularly with the menus, as I think the UUIDs don't match and you get broken links in there.

Oh, you'll also need to re-install any plugin products since they will need to re-inject library files into the new install. Likewise you may need to re-input your licence codes for any plugins that use those but you can get those from your account profile.

EDIT: The above assumes you use DIM (Daz Install Manager) exclusively and not Daz Connect (i.e. you always work offline in Daz Studio) if not then it's probably more complicated and so you'd need someone else to help with the cloud folder stuff.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • Just copy the content across and point Daz Studio to the new location. If you export userdata on the old system before the move then you can reimport on the new (both in the Content Library pane option menu>Content DB Maintenance). If you installed content through daz Studio you will ideally want to copy the whole database across - the Content Cluster folder set in Edit>Preferences>CMS Settings - with Daz Studio, DIM, and any other applications that use it closed. If you install content through DIM you want the Manifests folder (location set in DIM's advanced settings>Instalaltion tab) as that tells it what has been installed; it stores the full path of the files installed (unlike daz Studio which needs only the location within the content directory)so if the locations don;'t match on the two systems you will need to update the .dsx files or reinstall the content.