Expressions poses not working with 8.1

I just bought this Expressions poses pack but although its listed as being compatible with genesis 8.1 female they don't seem to be working.   https://www.daz3d.com/100-must-have-expressions-volume-2-for-genesis-8-females

is there something I might be doing wrong or should I try contacting the artist or maybe even ask for a refund?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited August 18

Wrong info. on the product page... The expression dials from this product call Base Pose Head properties on G8F rather than FACS properties on G8.1F... so they cannot work on G8.1F unless you have removed the "dummy files" that block G8F's Base Pose Head / Expressions in the data folder of G8.1F... Have you done that ?

Anyway, you can ask for a refund for sure.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • FabeFabe Posts: 222

oh ok. think I'll ask for a refund reather then risk deleting files and messing things up.

Fabe said:

oh ok. think I'll ask for a refund reather then risk deleting files and messing things up.

Yea, it's always up to your decision... though actually quite a lot of us have removed those "dummy blockers"... and there's no risk at all after years' experiment & proof...cool

So what is the point of this blockers? are they just there to make us buy 8.1 stuff instead of making things compatible?

• Fabe said:

So what is the point of this blockers? are they just there to make us buy 8.1 stuff instead of making things compatible?

I would think they were there to avoid having two sets of expression controls that overlapped in effects, though in differnt mixes of properties. The problem is, for the most part, that the expressions are using Pose controls, so you could try applying to Genesis 8, Edit>Figure>Bake to Transforms, then copy the settings across to the 8.1 figure (or save a fresh perset, which would allow more selectivity)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files, can be more if you have additional DAZ expression packs)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Note 1; If you are logging in to DS and letting DAZ Connect (within DS) to install/update your content, you may have these also in an other location that has "\Data\Cloud\" in it's path
    Note 2; Do not remove any files from "FACS" or "FACSExpressions" folders

Well I can't seem to find the dummy files so I think I'm going to ask ofr a refund. any know of some expression poses that would work with 8.1?

Suggest you do it in this way:

1) Open File Browser, go to your Daz Library where you installed Genesis 8 Starter Essentials. (Screenshot 1)

2) Then paste \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\ after the root directory, like: your Daz Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\ , then press Enter key on your keyboard. (Screenshot 2)

3) You'll find two sub-folders: Base Pose Head and Expressions Do what is shown in Screenshot 3

Then reload G8.1F figure in DS, the Expressions will work. Then do the same steps as above for G8.1M, in this folder: your Daz Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\

Now all Expression Products that were purely made for G8F/G8M can well work on G8.1F/G8.1M ~

SNAG-2024-8-20-060.png
    2560 x 1392 - 176K
    SNAG-2024-8-20-062.png
    2560 x 1392 - 179K
    SNAG-2024-8-20-063.png
    2560 x 1392 - 223K

If you DO want to have refund, pls just go ahead. Then I would give you only one trick rather than recommended products as people always have different preferences...

The safest way : on the product page of an expression product, if there's only Genesis 8.1 Female is stated in Compatible Figures:, it means the product was purely made for G8.F (with FACS...). As long as the info. is truely correct... you may go for a "safest buy"...

SNAG-2024-8-20-064.png
    2088 x 1147 - 2M

yeah my file structure must be set up diffrently because I still cant find the folders.  this is how thing look in my instal

dazpath.png
    966 x 561 - 46K

Fabe said:

yeah my file structure must be set up diffrently because I still cant find the folders.  this is how thing look in my instal

Oh, that doesn't matter... You just need to "paste the path" after ...\Studio, i.e. click into the address field, paste \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\ after This PC\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio

Then press Enter !

SNAG-2024-8-20-065.png
    1065 x 625 - 103K
  • It does look as if you either have nested content directories (one inside another) or stuff that has not isntalled correctly - usually the folders other than My Library and my daz Connect Library would be inside the My Library folder, where they would probably merge with other folders already present

edited August 19

Probably ~~ Check if the designated folder can be found 1st of all ~~

Well, the default lib path(s) on C drive set by DIM / Connect mislead lots of users.... The mechanism should be revisited and a good guideline should be given. Daz Library path(s) better be well set and organized from very beginning... at least first: DO not set Libs on C drive, 2nd: assure there's no nested directories...

So, another way to locate the folder if OP installed Starter Essentials with DIM. Go to DIM, Installed tab, filter by Starter. Locate G8F starter, RMB-click menu > Show Installed Files (screenshot 1)

Then scroll down, locate /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D/Base Pose Head/alias_head_CTRLCheeksDimpleCreaseHD.dsf Click on it, it'll bring you to the folder in File Browser. Then go to its upper-level folder. That's it. (screenshot 2)

SNAG-2024-8-20-066.png
    1109 x 946 - 126K
    SNAG-2024-8-20-067.png
    1109 x 946 - 230K
    Post edited by crosswind on

thanks Crosswind that worked. so do I just delte the entire base head pose folder on just the files within ?

Fabe said:

thanks Crosswind that worked. so do I just delte the entire base head pose folder on just the files within ?

Deleting the entire folders will be fine. Check the screenshots I posted above...

Thanks everyone. I was able to delete the dummy files and the poses now work on 8.1 figures.

• ElorElor Posts: 1,141

One advice that may be useful: it's a good idea to keep a copy of the various instructions to get Genesis 8 expressions working on Genesis 8.1 because you never know when you may need them again in the futur and it'll be easier to track them down if you have a copy on your computer.

I recently had to re-install the G8F starter pack because a product I bought messed with its metadata and I initially was a bit confused by the expressions not working as they should, before remembering I had some files to delete and that I had a copy of the instructions to do so somewhere on my computer laugh

good idea Elor. I've also saved a back up of the deleted folder just in case

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

To get them back, one only needs to reinstall Genesis 8 Starter Essentials