Genesis 9 eyes rendering bright white ??

I have started working with G9 recently, there is a couple or particular characters I wanted to use and everything looks fine in Texture shaded untill I preview in IIRAY and the eyes are stark white??? I haven't been able to find out why. On the other hand there are G9's that render skin white and eyes are ok or everything is white. Is there a work around for this???

Thanks in advance for any help.

head shot.jpg
1298 x 692 - 542K

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited August 19

Have you tried applying Eyes Material Presets from the character product (or G9 Starter Essentials) ?

I know there're some character products having wrongly-set Preset files, if so, you can fill a support ticket for sure...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • straker1999straker1999 Posts: 23
    edited August 19

I have tried different materials from different characters as well as turning off the eyes and replacing them with basic G9 eyes and materials with the same result.
    There is a female character that I have that does the opposite.....eyes render and skin is all white. I am rather stumped.

Post edited by straker1999 on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,708

What version of DS are you using? G9 requires DS v4.20 or higher. And also have you updated the Default Resources for DazStudio?

• zombietaggerung said:

What version of DS are you using? G9 requires DS v4.20 or higher. And also have you updated the Default Resources for DazStudio?

I am using an older version 4.12, The Default Resourses did update because it asked for them to be installed and let Daz do it.
    I really didn't want to have to go the re-install route as I have literaly multiple hundreds of resources that would have to be installed again from scratch. Plus I don't have the room on the drive at the moment for that kind undertaking not to mention the time.

I didn't see any simple way to just update the application as is leaving everything in place, unless I missed something??

With that said, is there a possible work around for this? Texture or figure settings modification to allow for a correct render? It seems some textures render and some don't.

It's interesting that some work, some don't. Though I don't 4.12, but you can name which character works.. which doesn't. If I have them, I might find some clues. 

Well G9, in my understanding required the newer version of DS because of changes to the way iray works in later versions of DS. Also most if not all, G9 skins use the PBRSkin shader that uses that new version of iray. So you have two options here. Back up the installers you have for DS v4.12, then use DIM to update the program; this will not negatively affect your content in any way. OR If you use DIM you can download and install the DS 4.22+ BETA and run it alongside your DS v4.12. Thus keeping both versions of the program as well as being able to try out the new version. But still, back up your installers just in case.

What had been mostly improved for G9 was LIE... then fast loading of assets yada yada were gifts. So maybe LIE might be one of the culprits... Yes, it's better to have a latest DS version installed while keeping your 4.12. Better install the latest Daz Studio Public Build version, then test.

• Genesis 9 uses some features that are newsish to Daz Studio to, for example, enable the various devlopment tools and utility controls. The shader also has requirements.

Richard Haseltine said:

Genesis 9 uses some features that are newsish to Daz Studio to, for example, enable the various devlopment tools and utility controls. The shader also has requirements.

AFAIK, some folks who are using 4.15/4.16 can also play with G9... So what is the specific requirement in terms of Shader ? IIRC, I didn't see any significant change on Iray Uber as well as PBRSkin except for some minor change in Shader Mixer ~~

• I'm not sure the shader does need more than late 4.15.x.x, though possibly a version that was never a general release. I can't recall which version added the property features needed either. But 4.15.late/4.16.x.x are about the limit.

• @crosswind:

If I load up a base G9 and apply character maps from Kat (included base skins) everything is white. If I load full MAT from TX Eleanor, skins are fine and eyes have detail but no color. I f I load up Unforgetable HD (Connery Character) skin ok, eyes white.....If I apply HH Belle eye MAT's to this character they work. BUT if I apply the HH Belle skin MAT....that is white.

@zombietaggerung:

So I would be able update the entire application with out ill effects through DIM??

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,444

PBR Skin shader was introduced with Public Beta (4.14.1.22 with internal build 4.14.1.12) See 4.15.0.30 Change Log [Documentation Center], so you will need at least General Release version 4.15.0.30 to use PBR Skin materials.

straker1999 said:

@crosswind:

If I load up a base G9 and apply character maps from Kat (included base skins) everything is white. If I load full MAT from TX Eleanor, skins are fine and eyes have detail but no color. I f I load up Unforgetable HD (Connery Character) skin ok, eyes white.....If I apply HH Belle eye MAT's to this character they work. BUT if I apply the HH Belle skin MAT....that is white.

So that means Iray renderer plugin in DS 4.12 cannot support to render skins with PBRSkin shader, that should be the reason why you got normal skins with Iray Uber shader but white with PBRSkin shader. Haver you ever render with PBRSkin shader before, like with Victoria 8.1 ?

@zombietaggerung:

So I would be able update the entire application with out ill effects through DIM??

Suggest you not update General Release , as I said above, order DS Beta (Public Build) for free and install the latest Public Build. Then you can keep your DS 4.12 while using the latest Public Build.

If you DO want to install latest General Release, change the application folder name of 4.12 beforehand.

crosswind said:

straker1999 said:

@crosswind:

So that means Iray renderer plugin in DS 4.12 cannot support to render skins with PBRSkin shader, that should be the reason why you got normal skins with Iray Uber shader but white with PBRSkin shader. Haver you ever render with PBRSkin shader before, like with Victoria 8.1 ?

@zombietaggerung:

Suggest you not update General Release , as I said above, order DS Beta (Public Build) for free and install the latest Public Build. Then you can keep your DS 4.12 while using the latest Public Build.

If you DO want to install latest General Release, change the application folder name of 4.12 beforehand.

Yes you could. But I would agree to download the BETA of 4.22+, since I don't know anything about your computer specs, The newer version of DS might not play nice with your system. But like I said before: Back up your 4.12 installers.

• @crosswind:
    I checked 3 of my base figures, all G8 and the skins show that they are all PBR shaders.

@zombietaggerung:
    Forgive my igronance but the only thing I can find on site is a link to the download only the newest DIM to install v4.22.
    Also I'm not sure what you mean by backing up installers??

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

You need to "buy" this https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

And in DIM setting under filtering (I think) enable 'Public build'.

straker1999 said:

@zombietaggerung:
    Forgive my igronance but the only thing I can find on site is a link to the download only the newest DIM to install v4.22.

I'm not entirely sure how to do it with DIM, because i don't use it, but I always download the exe installers from my product library and save them for each version of the program that is released. I think, but am not sure, that if you have your DIM set up to save the zips of everything you DL and install, you can go to that folder on your computer and save the zip files for your currently installed version of DS. But I'm not 100% on that, someone else will have to give better instruction.

edited August 22

straker1999 said:

@crosswind:
    I checked 3 of my base figures, all G8 and the skins show that they are all PBR shaders.

So you mean you've successfully rendered G8 characters with PBRSkin shader ?

• crosswind said:

straker1999 said:

@crosswind:

Yes, all of renders with G8 figures have skins that show as PBR Metalicity/Roughness under the Base Mixing drop down.
    Too bad G9's don't have this option, might be able to get them to cooperate a little better.

• zombietaggerung said:

straker1999 said:

@zombietaggerung:

I'm not entirely sure how to do it with DIM, because i don't use it, but I always download the exe installers from my product library and save them for each version of the program that is released. I think, but am not sure, that if you have your DIM set up to save the zips of everything you DL and install, you can go to that folder on your computer and save the zip files for your currently installed version of DS. But I'm not 100% on that, someone else will have to give better instruction.

Unfortunately my Product Library does not contain any other versions available so there is nothing to download. Daz no longer offers "older versions" so I guess I'm stuck.

edited August 23

straker1999 said:

crosswind said:

straker1999 said:

@crosswind:

Yes, all of renders with G8 figures have skins that show as PBR Metalicity/Roughness under the Base Mixing drop down.
    Too bad G9's don't have this option, might be able to get them to cooperate a little better.

No ~ I'm afraid we're talking about different things. PBRSkin (ss1) and Iray Uber are Shaders, PBR Metalicity/Roughness is one of the option in Base Mixing properties under Iray Uber Shader (ss2). These two Shaders have different property structure as well as shader node definition.

If you have Victoria 8.1,  you can try rendering with her on which PBRSkin Shader is applied. It might not work just like G9 while using your DS 4.12 ~~

SNAG-2024-8-23-003.png
    518 x 1294 - 117K
    SNAG-2024-8-23-004.png
    518 x 1294 - 115K
  • straker1999straker1999 Posts: 23
    edited August 23

@crosswind:

Gotcha, never thought to look at that. Like I said a couple render but most don't. To bad there is no way the "convert" the skins, at least none that I can discover.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Post edited by straker1999 on