Can't select some assets in viewport, even with "selectable(in viewport)" on.

Periodically i'll load an asset and even with selectable(in viewport) set to on and a check mark next to the arrow in the scene tab, the item isn't selectable in the viewport.

Any ideas?

I'm even up for editing dsf/duf files if that's an necessity.

Comments

• Is it fitted to something else?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Is it fitted to something else?

Doesn't matter if it's fitted or not, a clothing item or otherwise, it's just kind of random.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    What Tool is activated now ?
  • crosswind said:

What Tool is activated now ?

Other than surface selection, none work.

Odd... It's not easy to reproduce such random issue with an asset... or maybe you can name one.

• edited August 20

crosswind said:

Odd... It's not easy to reproduce such random issue with an asset... or maybe you can name one.

Dforce sexy maid by onesix on renderosity, (https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/140336/dforce-sexy-maid )

The left stocking has this issue, all the other parts work just fine.

I'm in the process of revamping my asset library and doing a bit of asset testing as i go and this happened to come up.

Just to be clear, i'm looking for possible fixes i can implement as opposed to the usual 'just update it', as that's not alwasy an option with my asset library, given the over 100k assets i have and the various sites i've drawn from and that some may be NLA.

If i come across others as i go, i'll update accordingly.

Update

Sailor4G8f(https://sharecg.com/v/94438/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Japanese-Sailor-4-for-G8F) the skirt is unselectable.

Post edited by DrunkMonkeyProductions on
    edited August 20

I rarely suggest folks directly go for "updating product" 'cause I'm more or less a tinker who always like to check issues first of all ~~ Unfortunately I don't have this product but as you said only left stocking doesn't work... Usually we manipulate such things symmetrically if we do need to make separate stocking ... so if settings are correct with geometry and joints, there should be no issue.

So I have to doubt if Face Group are correctly assigned to Joints. Suggest you:

1) Select the left stocking, with Geometry Editor, check if Face Groups have been properly set;

2) With Joint Editor, check if Face Group(s) are correctly assigned to the related joints... You can easily compare it with the right stocking that has no issue ~

If you're able to fix all Face Groups / Joints assignment one by one, the issue should be gone. Or, you have to report the issue to the vendor asking for a fix if you cannot make it.

Post edited by crosswind on

As an example, I show you the settings by using another stockings product. Pls check the attached screenshots ~~

SNAG-2024-8-20-073.png
    2560 x 1392 - 440K
    SNAG-2024-8-20-074.png
    2560 x 1392 - 514K
    SNAG-2024-8-20-075.png
    2560 x 1392 - 428K
  • crosswind said:

I rarely suggest folks directly go for "updating product" 'cause I'm more or less a tinker who always like to check issues first of all ~~ Unfortunately I don't have this product but as you said only left stocking doesn't work... Usually we manipulate such things symmetrically if we do need to make separate stocking ... so if settings are correct with geometry and joints, there should be no issue.

So I have to doubt if Face Group are correctly assigned to Joints. Suggest you:

1) Select the left stocking, with Geometry Editor, check if Face Groups have been properly set;

2) With Joint Editor, check if Face Group(s) are correctly assigned to the related joints... You can easily compare it with the right stocking that has no issue ~

If you're able to fix all Face Groups / Joints assignment one by one, the issue should be gone. Or, you have to report the issue to the vendor asking for a fix if you cannot make it.

I checked the Face groups and there are none but a base with all polys assigned and default with none assigned. The weight mapping and rigging appear to be properly setup and the product does work as expected, beyond not being selectable.

If i'm understanding, by looking at other products, to be selectable there must be at least one face group that correlates/is connected to(uses the same name as) a bone in the figure, depending on the complexity of the asset.

Such as a pair of panties just needs a 'Hip' group, even if all polygons are assigned to it, where as a bra requires ~6 groups(chest, chest upper, L and R pectoral, neck, abdomen upper etc)

In the case of the stockings, i'd need 4 face groups, lfoot, lshin, lthigh, and ltoe to match the rigging and be the same as the right stocking.

The skirt would require 4 as well, abdomen, hip, Left and Right thigh as it's a shorter skirt and doens't go down to the shin area.

So, my question now is, is there an easy way to transfer the face groups from the right stocking to the left, or do i need to do this manually?

Digging into a dsf is always an option if that's faster/easier.

I figure the skirt is going to be manual assignment.

Regardless, looks like i'm going to need to brush up on my rigging skills to solve this issue.

Thanks for the info.

edited August 21

I checked the Face groups and there are none but a base with all polys assigned and default with none assigned. The weight mapping and rigging appear to be properly setup and the product does work as expected, beyond not being selectable.

Then that's the culprit. It might be either a wrong rigging or wrong modification by that vendor....  If no Face Group is assigned to any Joint on stocking, you'll see no bounding box while hovering you mouse cursor there in Vieport.

If i'm understanding, by looking at other products, to be selectable there must be at least one face group that correlates/is connected to(uses the same name as) a bone in the figure, depending on the complexity of the asset.

That's correct ~

Such as a pair of panties just needs a 'Hip' group, even if all polygons are assigned to it, where as a bra requires ~6 groups(chest, chest upper, L and R pectoral, neck, abdomen upper etc)

In the case of the stockings, i'd need 4 face groups, lfoot, lshin, lthigh, and ltoe to match the rigging and be the same as the right stocking.

The skirt would require 4 as well, abdomen, hip, Left and Right thigh as it's a shorter skirt and doens't go down to the shin area.

So, my question now is, is there an easy way to transfer the face groups from the right stocking to the left, or do i need to do this manually?

Yes ~ Face Groups come from rigging with Transfer Utility then we may modify them as needed. So you can simply load that stocking into the scene, re-rig it with Transfer Utility. If the result is correct, save it as Figure asset to overwrite the original version. Like the example in the attached screenshot.

How to properly resave Figure Asset to overwrite existing asset, check this thread (screenshots 4 ~ 7)... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8832786/#Comment_8832786

As for this case, strongly suggest you a no-go with modifying DSF file by copy/paste/change... yada yada, because different DS versions may save different data so you might get incorrect results while using your DS version(s).

I figure the skirt is going to be manual assignment.

Regardless, looks like i'm going to need to brush up on my rigging skills to solve this issue.

Thanks for the info.

SNAG-2024-8-21-082.png
    2560 x 1392 - 567K
  • crosswind said:

Then that's the culprit. It might be either a wrong rigging or wrong modification by that vendor....  If no Face Group is assigned to any Joint on stocking, you'll see no bounding box while hovering you mouse cursor there in Vieport.

I'll make a note of that. No bounding box, probably messed up.

That's correct ~

Well shoot, guess all that fancy schoolin didn't go to waste after all.

Now if i could just find an easy way to keep up with my keys....

crosswind said:

Yes ~ Face Groups come from rigging with Transfer Utility then we may modify them as needed. So you can simply load that stocking into the scene, re-rig it with Transfer Utility. If the result is correct, save it as Figure asset to overwrite the original version. Like the example in the attached screenshot.

How to properly resave Figure Asset to overwrite existing asset, check this thread (screenshots 4 ~ 7)... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8832786/#Comment_8832786

Looks good, although i'd add couple steps.

1. use an isolated directory separate from your primary install, and keep it as minimal as possible. Reduces the risk of borking something else up in the process.

2. Create a new DSF and DUF when modifing assets. This eliminates the risk of the work being lost due to an update of the original asset.

3. Repackage(ZIP) the modified asset for, personal, backup.

As for this case, strongly suggest you a no-go with modifying DSF file by copy/paste/change... yada yada, because different DS versions may save different data so you might get incorrect results while using your DS version(s).

I'm gonna try it any way, just because you told me not to.

That is if i can figure out what needs to be copied, some PA's really need to clean up their DSF's before distribution.

Off to break stuff.

edited August 21

Sure, you're free to experiment. Good luck !

PS:

1) Since you own the product package, be bold to overwrite ! But it's up to your pref. anyway...

2) Well, if you want to check and modify DSF file, an easy way might be comparing the correct one (right) and wrong one (left). There're two sections related to Face Groups: "polygon_groups" for defining groups and  "selection_map" for mapping Node Names. You may try correct them manually...

Good luck ~~