Trying to find what a render setting is called.

I bought a product called "Disreputable Lair" and it renders in iray differently than usual.  Normally, the first few iterations are sharp but incomplete and the rest slowly gets filled in as the render continues.   The "Disreputable Lair" product renders start off like blobs and become sharper as the render continues.  I have dug through all the camera settings & the render settings and can not find what is causing the difference.   Can anyone explain to me what the setting that is causing the blob to sharp render type rather than the default iray photo real settings?    Sorry if this was so vague but I simply do not know the names for what I am asking.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,952
    I don't own that product, so I am guessing. It could be that the Bloom Filter is Enabled. It could be that the Post Denoiser is Available, and Enabled and the Post Denoiser Start Iteration is very small. Both of those settings are in Render Settings Filtering section.
  • Thank you , It looks like what I was looking for was the Post Denoiser.  I overlooked it thinking it was a filter that was applied at the end and not while it was rendering.    Have a great day and thank you again!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,952

You're welcome. You can leave the Post Denoiser enabled (it can be pretty useful) and just increase the Post Denoiser Start Iteration value. I usually have mine set to 800. Then it won't kick in until later in the render, so it won't look so overly blurred out at the beginning. The final rendered result will be the same, I believe, whether it denoises from the beginning or later during the render.

• barbult said:

You're welcome. You can leave the Post Denoiser enabled (it can be pretty useful) and just increase the Post Denoiser Start Iteration value. I usually have mine set to 800. Then it won't kick in until later in the render, so it won't look so overly blurred out at the beginning. The final rendered result will be the same, I believe, whether it denoises from the beginning or later during the render.

Just a side note about using the denoiser, it uses a good chunk of vram when it kicks in.

In a quick test, my vram usage went from 3830MB(3.8GB) to 4226MB(4.2GB) with the denoiser on, so about 400MB difference, on my tesla p40.

There may be differences in vram utilization depending on generation of GPU, but i'm not froggy enough this afternoon to run a bunch of tests.

Personally, i find it far too agressive and by the time it's gotten to something that doesn't look like modern art run though a dozen smoothing filters, the time spent is about the same as with it off.

I also find it has some issues with mirrors/mirrored surfaces and can wind up with just a blob in them.

Just my experience, yours may vary.