What is the correct explanation for the eyes looking "off" when they point at the camera?

tcassattcassat Posts: 74

Hello.

In engines like Unity, when you have a model able to focus its eyes on the camera, it really does appear to be looking at the camera, but in DAZ Studio this same thing doesn't work properly and I can't really understand why (even though I've read several discussions on the subject).

I know that one technique to reduce the problem is to make the model look at a point further away than the camera, so for example, if the camera is 1 meter from the character's face, it focuses the eye about 3 or 4 meters away, but still I realize that there's something wrong, it's as if the eyes aren't really “working” as they should, eyes rarely look truly natural in DAZ Studio.

Does anyone know exactly why the eyes look off, at least on the Genesis 8.1 models? What's the difference between a real person, or a model from a game engine like Unity, compared to DAZ? What makes DAZ models look like they have “defective” eyes when they focus on a point?

Thank you.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274

Whether they're correct or not depends how you make them focus on the target....Better move eyeballs by calculating up-down / side-side values rather than "steering" them to move... e.g by using Point At.

Look at Me product uses scripts to calculate the above-mentioned eyeballs movement, plus eyelids movemeng as well as necessary head / neck / torso moveing, so can bring much more accurate results.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,015

I use "Point at" to camera together with "Eyes Crossed" at 15%

"Eyes Crossed" doesn't work until one has saved the scene and opened it again
    "Point At" does not work when one opens a saved scene until one moves either the character or the camera to refresh the link.