ADVISES FOR GENESIS 3

CykloneCyklone Posts: 121

Hi everyone,

I still work a lot with genesis 3 female, there's something very dynamic in the shapes of curves and mucles that I still really like.
I was wondering how I could make her look more realistic, a bit as if G9F quality was brought to G3F...
Do you guys have any advises, tools, things to have, etc. to give her a more detailed / better skin, hair, depth in the eyes...

Any ideas would be more than welcome.
A very big thanks in advance,

Cheers !

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274

Me too ~ I've been using quite a few G3 characters that I customized 'cause I'm lazy to convert them ~~ Though I don't have further demand for making them way more realistic, I still can share something...

New features on G9 are mostly related to the denser base mesh on Head and 8K detail norml maps that can be relevantly helpful with improving details on figure's head / face (sorry... I personally 80%+ of the time only focus on characters' faces...esp. when they wear garments).

So, as for having denser base mesh, you have no way to make it on G3F's head, the only way is to use some HD character's morph or HD PHM / PBM... as well as increasing Render SubD Level. As for the DN maps, you can convert them from G9 to G3F,  but you have to use PBRSkin shader on G3F instead of Iray Uber shader. The conversion takes time...

As for hairs, you always can bring G9's hairs to G3F, either by auto fitting or direct parenting (esp. for the hairs with custom bones, and SBHs of course...). But I don't quite understand what you meant by " depth in the eyes "...

Then what else... ho ~ see if other folks can give more advices ~~

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 886
    edited August 21

G8 and G8.1 don't look any worse than G9 and very much everything G8/G8.1 can be converted to G3.

Any skin materials and shaders that work on G8 will also work on G3. Same UVs, except for G3 Daz core characters as many of those have their own custom UVs. PBR skin shader introduced with G8.1 (same shader G9 uses) wil work on G3 too, but you will have to rebake G8.1 torso and neck surfaces to G3/G8 UV template (if you want to use G8.1 maps on G3).

Many G3 characters aren't less realistic per se, but their body materials use older iRay shaders. That's what needs changing if you want the model to look better.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • CykloneCyklone Posts: 121
    edited August 21

Thanks for you answers.
    Actually, I totally agree with you : for me g8f / g8.1f are better than g9f, but that's my personnal taste.
    Strangely, the more we move on with genesis the less"dynamic" they look, a bit as if genesis was putting on fat and loosing muscles at the same time, if that makes sense ? ( sorry for my english, I'm french )
    Her body looks more and more soft with less ans less "visible" dynamic muscles...But again, this is just my taste.
    Anyway, I'm gonna try what you guys are advising and see where it goes.
    Concerning the " depth in the eyes " I was also refering to the quality of the eyes and how to make them look more realistic.

Thanks guys.
    Cheers !

Post edited by Cyklone on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

Anagenessis 2 will improve many G3 skins that look a little dated.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926
    edited August 22

Here is what I use to do:
    If you need realism by a material, not shape, just "steal" from that particular character, with (according to your opinion) most realistic skin.
    1) Load a character with YOUR perfect/best skin material. In the material tab select e.g. "Face"
    2) Save as "Shader Preset" in your library
    3) Load your G3f character
    4) Keep pressed "Ctrl" and apply your saved shader preset to G3f's Face.
    You wil get a menue pop up with a roll down. Select ignore. This will apply the shader presets, but ignores the textures. So you will keep G3F's textures.
    If you like the look, you can repeat this with the other maps. 

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,185

Something that should be possible in theory, but which I just haven't seen much yet, would be fibermesh additions, like brows and vellushair. Some PA's manage to make pretty realistic brows these days, and I think it would be awesome if we could convert those to G3.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274

Cyklone said:

Thanks for you answers.
    Actually, I totally agree with you : for me g8f / g8.1f are better than g9f, but that's my personnal taste.
    Strangely, the more we move on with genesis the less"dynamic" they look, a bit as if genesis was putting on fat and loosing muscles at the same time, if that makes sense ? ( sorry for my english, I'm french )
    Her body looks more and more soft with less ans less "visible" dynamic muscles...But again, this is just my taste.
    Anyway, I'm gonna try what you guys are advising and see where it goes.
    Concerning the " depth in the eyes " I was also refering to the quality of the eyes and how to make them look more realistic.

Thanks guys.
    Cheers !

Got it ~ As for eyes, I'm afraid there's less space to improve on G3. Eyes on G3 only have 688 faces while G9's eyes have 2K+ base mesh, which can present much more details when using high quality texture maps (esp. 4K Base + Normal on G9's eyes...).

Well, though the structure / mat. zones of G9 eyes are different from G3/G8, you still can convert the maps of G9 eyes for using them on G3, with higher Render SubD Level, you'll see some improvements ~

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 886
    edited August 23

There's a thread on this forum how to transplant G9 eyeballs to G8. Can't find it right now, but the same procedure should also work for transplanting from G9 to G3.

Edit:

Found the relevant thread:

https://forum.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/599041/jeepers-creepers-i-gave-g8-g9-s-peepers

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • alienareaalienarea Posts: 522

Drip said:

Something that should be possible in theory, but which I just haven't seen much yet, would be fibermesh additions, like brows and vellushair. Some PA's manage to make pretty realistic brows these days, and I think it would be awesome if we could convert those to G3.

You can get a lot out of G3 with those:

https://www.daz3d.com/super-natural-brows-merchant-resource-for-genesis-8-and-3-female

https://www.daz3d.com/lashes-utilities-for-genesis-2-3-and-8

https://www.daz3d.com/brow-remover-for-daz-studio

https://www.daz3d.com/1-click-pbrskin

• ElorElor Posts: 1,141

Drip said:

You can autofit Genesis 8 Brows on Genesis 3 without too much problem, without even needing an autofit clone.

@Catherine3678ab wrote a tutorial on how to create a Genesis 9 autofit clone for Genesis 8, but it should be the same process if you want to create a Genesis 8 autofit clone for Genesis 3. She create a discussion to speak about it on Daz Forums:

https://forum.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/599231/making-clones-of-g9-tutorial

You can also easily convert them from Genesis 8 to Genesis 3 (and vice-versa). It can just be a bit tedious and boring to do if you have many products to convert (and some may require more care)

These two tutorials, one by @Jay Versluis (first video bellow), the other by @Sickleyield (second video), should help you:

They are also available as text versions:

https://www.versluis.com/2021/11/converting-clothing-from-3-to-8/

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

Regarding Vellus hair, I don't remember if I have a fibermesh product, but I have Vellus Horizon by Those Things, a shader version and the Genesis 8 Geoshell seems to load just fine on a Genesis 3 figure and should work without too much hassle.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,294
    edited August 28

PixelSploiting said:

G8 and G8.1 don't look any worse than G9 and very much everything G8/G8.1 can be converted to G3.

Any skin materials and shaders that work on G8 will also work on G3. Same UVs, except for G3 Daz core characters as many of those have their own custom UVs. PBR skin shader introduced with G8.1 (same shader G9 uses) wil work on G3 too, but you will have to rebake G8.1 torso and neck surfaces to G3/G8 UV template (if you want to use G8.1 maps on G3).

Many G3 characters aren't less realistic per se, but their body materials use older iRay shaders. That's what needs changing if you want the model to look better.

Basically this.  I largely use G3F still.  You can use the PBR shaders on G3 including the micro details.  It just requires some tweaking to the colors of the diffuse and/or SSS maps to acheive the skin tone of the original or what you want.

There is also a great product for the eyes.  Parris's Macro Eyes.  The only thing is the Eye Moisture, I just copied that from an 8 or 8.1 figure and then applied to G3 (then you only need to apply the correct normal map).  

https://www.daz3d.com/macro-eyes-for-iray-bundle 

Post edited by Gator on