Iray Preview Render fails without error

So this just started happening. It seems to only happen on scenes I've saved. If I rebuild the same scene from scratch, its fine for a while. But then.... the Iray preview simply starts failing. It goes through its whole thing Preparing Scene etc, but never updates the viewport.  It just stays in that clay look it has when switching between Open GL and Iray.

I updated video drivers AFTER this started happening, but that didn't help. This is getting frustrated. I have a 4090 RTX and the scene only takes about 14GB, so its not a VRAM issue and it will render the scene just fine... if just won't show me the preview so I can't tweak lights etc with rendering the whole damn thing.

Running the latest Beta. I'm going to say I was on this version for a while before this all started but I'm not sure. Kind of at my wit's end at the moment.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen something like this before?

TIA

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,952
    Every so often, I need to exit DS and restart it. If I reopen the saved scene, it will Iray Preview OK. Have you tried that, rather than rebuilding the scene?
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

barbult said:

Every so often, I need to exit DS and restart it. If I reopen the saved scene, it will Iray Preview OK. Have you tried that, rather than rebuilding the scene?

I have tried that. Even tried restarting the computer, closing other things that are open. Nothing seems to work consistently.

Now, through process of elimination, I seem to have determined that the problem is a particular geocraft. But I've been using this geocraft for years and its never been a problem that I can remember. I'm going to watch it and see if I can narrow it down further.