How to navigate easier in large scene?

How to navigate easier in large scene?

I find it difficult to navigate in large area.
Because it becomes forever to move.

I mean, in unreal there's a way to move the camera in wider/faster steps to handle big scene.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,262

Well, for such a case in DS, we almost have no better way but use Keyboard navigation, Shift + K!

Then go to menu: Edit > View, you'll find all shortcut keys, then increase / decrease Move / Rotation speed by pressing [] / {}, then go! You'll find the navigation is very fast in large scenes.

• eeyuneeyun Posts: 22

I use the Perspective camera and the frame/aim icon in the viewport to goto any selected item in the scene tab.

Would be nice to have bookmarks in the scene tab though (as opposed to collapse all, expand, expand or scroll, scroll, scroll ....)

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779

James said:

I mean, in unreal there's a way to move the camera in wider/faster steps to handle big scene.

The scene "rotate" is extremely fast (too fast IMO in perspective view).  For a camera it's determined by the "nudge" setting in the parameters for each axis rotation IRC but there seems to be no control for perspective view.  For translation I normally find it easy to select an object in the scene then zoom to that object (the weird square button in the view).  That puts the object at the camera's focal point so a left press on the rotate tool lets us rotate the camera around the object.  (The right press is the thing for rotating the camera itself; i.e. what I asserted is too fast.)

I find it's normally easier to select something in the scene tab then zoom to that rather than trying to left-click select in the view.  If I've zoomed out to see the whole scene (i.e. all the objects) I'm normally looking at the outside of something so a left click won't get me back in; a bit like phlugh without xyzzy if you've ever played that game.

It's also possible to create targets, null nodes, in places you want to get back to then select them in the scene tab and zoom.  It's not something I do because I always have specific objects to zoom to.