What's with artist page promo images not having what's on them in the store?

kirbawirbakirbawirba Posts: 134
edited August 28 in The Commons

So I was perusing the artist stores that are on sale today and, specifically, I went in to check what was on offer from MagicBrush.  I wanted the model that was in the promo image. She wasn't in there. OK, so I checked out everything the artist has in the Daz shop, and unless she looks drastically different in other promo images, she isn't on the site entirely.  This seems to be a thing with other artist pages and their promo images when they are featured in the shop.  More than a few times I'll see something for them on the images they use to click to get into their page, and its nowhere to be found! Are the artists themselves choosing these images, or does Daz pick one for them? And, where the heck can I find the model MB has for their promo image??

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• That always happens in the DAZ store, sadly. PAs use custom models that are not available in the DAZ store to create promotional images. Two other things that you might find frustrating are when you discover that some PAs create characters that are more detailed and realistic than any model in the store, and that some PAs render promotional images using other render engines besides Iray.

This is one of the reasons I never buy an asset if the promotional image is too good to have been rendered in Iray on DAZ Studio.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

douglasmartinsxd said:

That always happens in the DAZ store, sadly. PAs use custom models that are not available in the DAZ store to create promotional images. Two other things that you might find frustrating are when you discover that some PAs create characters that are more detailed and realistic than any model in the store, and that some PAs render promotional images using other render engines besides Iray.

This is one of the reasons I never buy an asset if the promotional image is too good to have been rendered in Iray on DAZ Studio.

I tend to believe that Iray is the best rendering engine out there available for consumers and PAs. It is created by Nvidia, the second largest company in the world, second to Apple with Microsoft trailing closely behind Nvidia.

To the best of my knowledge, neither Microsoft nor Apple have rendering engines. 

There is a lot of hype about other rendering engines, but I do not fully buy into it.

The "industry standard" is notorious for not always being the best...

• ZiconZicon Posts: 273

kirbawirba said:

This seems to be a thing with other artist pages and their promo images when they are featured in the shop.  More than a few times I'll see something for them on the images they use to click to get into their page, and its nowhere to be found!

Possible reasons why a PA has not listed additional assets used in promo images for a product:

• the asset is sold in a different store
    • the asset isn't sold anywhere anymore
    • the asset was created specifically for the promos and is not available
    • the asset is an early version of a product and looks different from the finished version
    • the asset was modified so heavily by the promo artist that it's not representative of the product used
    • the PA does not remember what assets were used
    • the promo was made by someone else and the PA does not know what assets were used
    • creating a product is a lot of work and listing assets used is yet another chore
  • Moved to the Commons as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,941

Yes, it's annoying, especially when it's featuring something that's not for sale at all when it's something that happens to be within that vendor's area of specialization and, frankly, I would think the bad juju that such a process would endear is rather counterproductive.  That said, when it comes to what goes into the ads themselves, I think the big qualifier here is whether the images you're refering to were the ones produced by the Vendor themselves (ie: the ones on their actual product pages), or ones that DAZ's store people choose to use/create for the daily sales, as I don't belive that the PA's have much, if any, control as to what goes into ads that appear in the latter.  DAZ has always been more focused on pitching a purty picture than accurately showing exactly what comes with a product... hence the figures always having hair despite shipping bald, and clothing items are always shown with shoes and jewelery that may or may not be part of what you receve after plunking your money down, and it's only been recently that they've finally started showing full figure renders sans clothing so that you can see what you're actually getting in terms of a full skin texture.     

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

RexRed said:

I tend to believe that Iray is the best rendering engine out there available for consumers and PAs. It is created by Nvidia, the second largest company in the world, second to Apple with Microsoft trailing closely behind Nvidia.

To the best of my knowledge, neither Microsoft nor Apple have rendering engines. 

There is a lot of hype about other rendering engines, but I do not fully buy into it.

The "industry standard" is notorious for not always being the best...

NVidia is nowhere near the second biggest company in the world, and even if it were, what does that tell us about the quality of its rendering engine? NVidia is a GPU manufacturer that happens to have a rendering engine also. Alphabet (Google) is a much bigger company than NVidia, but we can't assume from that fact alone that their rendering engine, Filament, is better than Iray. Also, there is no one "industry standard" rendering engine. Some use Arnold, others Redshift, or Octane, or V-Ray, etc. What does it even mean to be the "best" rendering engine? Best for what? Best by what metric? I've tried many rendering engines, and even if Iray were available for the other programs I use, it wouldn't be in the running for me.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 564
    edited August 29

Yeah, I've seen other engines produce better results than Iray (meaning, at least from outward apperances, more physically accurate). Arnold and Octane have both produced results I've not seen out of Iray (though I guess with the right composition, Iray would likely get there). 

The idea that it is the industry standard, however, isn't something I've heard before.

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • kirbawirbakirbawirba Posts: 134

Cybersox said:

Yes, it's annoying, especially when it's featuring something that's not for sale at all when it's something that happens to be within that vendor's area of specialization and, frankly, I would think the bad juju that such a process would endear is rather counterproductive.  That said, when it comes to what goes into the ads themselves, I think the big qualifier here is whether the images you're refering to were the ones produced by the Vendor themselves (ie: the ones on their actual product pages), or ones that DAZ's store people choose to use/create for the daily sales, as I don't belive that the PA's have much, if any, control as to what goes into ads that appear in the latter.  DAZ has always been more focused on pitching a purty picture than accurately showing exactly what comes with a product... hence the figures always having hair despite shipping bald, and clothing items are always shown with shoes and jewelery that may or may not be part of what you receve after plunking your money down, and it's only been recently that they've finally started showing full figure renders sans clothing so that you can see what you're actually getting in terms of a full skin texture.     

Thing is, I get some of that.  Sure, put hair on them, and I do really appreciate Daz allowing them to show full unclothed textures, but certainly putting clothes on them is acceptable.  Heck, I even can accept a clothing vendor using an original model made entirely separate from Daz itself, even if I go crazy trying to find the model, only to discover nobody is selling them! 

Its just really frustrating to see that it is the image used to promote the artist in general!  What were they promoting with that image?  The hair?  The model?  Just trying to get you in the door? 

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

there's also another reason a lot of new stuff here has been brought over from another store when the artist has moved here with their products from the other store some of which require other products not sold here seen fair few now like that some of which you really got to read between the lines in some desciptions 

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

on facebook been seeing some renders using Octane and are pretty realistic impressive then there's the ones using AI tools which at the time I didn't know was being used and was a bit jealous as well as impressed by how realistic quality they were and thought they had a really high end computer with maxed out settings and I could never get that good 

• cain-xcain-x Posts: 176

A render engine is only as good as its user.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,396

kirbawirba said:

So I was perusing the artist stores that are on sale today and, specifically, I went in to check what was on offer from MagicBrush.  I wanted the model that was in the promo image. She wasn't in there. OK, so I checked out everything the artist has in the Daz shop, and unless she looks drastically different in other promo images, she isn't on the site entirely.  This seems to be a thing with other artist pages and their promo images when they are featured in the shop.  More than a few times I'll see something for them on the images they use to click to get into their page, and its nowhere to be found! Are the artists themselves choosing these images, or does Daz pick one for them? And, where the heck can I find the model MB has for their promo image??

Since MagicBrush store is on sale again today I checked the pic used as their "store icon" on the sales page to see the image that started this thread: it's actually one of the promo pic for MB Punk Buns Hair which is the oldest product available in their store.

There are no promo credits on the hair page so I don't know which character was used (maybe it's one of the characters the hair has fit morphs for?) but now you know why it was chosen as their store icon.

• I find it more annoying when PA's put wrong promo images and use textures from an add-on or something, so the actual textures you think is included are not, you have to buy an add-on to get them, and when you complain you get "sorry, but no big deal, we will not fix that"

• ElorElor Posts: 1,141
    edited September 4

Leana said:

Since MagicBrush store is on sale again today I checked the pic used as their "store icon" on the sales page to see the image that started this thread: it's actually one of the promo pic for MB Punk Buns Hair which is the oldest product available in their store.

There are no promo credits on the hair page so I don't know which character was used (maybe it's one of the characters the hair has fit morphs for?) but now you know why it was chosen as their store icon.

My guess: it's Victoria 9, with another set of brows and her foundation makeup option applied (it'll make her freckles less visible):

I also applied one of her lips makeup option, and I used 'G9 Eyebrows Fiber Style 02' which I think is part of the free Genesis 9 Starter product.

Victoria_9.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 363K
    Post edited by Elor on
  • I believe you are correct, it simply looks like victoria with make up and possibly another skin 

Elor said:

Leana said:

My guess: it's Victoria 9, with another set of brows and her foundation makeup option applied (it'll make her freckles less visible):

I also applied one of her lips makeup option, and I used 'G9 Eyebrows Fiber Style 02' which I think is part of the free Genesis 9 Starter product.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,071

kirbawirba said:

This seems to be a thing with other artist pages and their promo images when they are featured in the shop.  More than a few times I'll see something for them on the images they use to click to get into their page, and its nowhere to be found! Are the artists themselves choosing these images, or does Daz pick one for them?

DAZ picks those from within the PA's Product Promos. Sp PAs have no say in them, and we do not choose them. If we could choose, I would have chosen a different one for mine at least.