Animating dForce long dresses/robes

Greetings!

I am trying to animate a walk cycle character who I'd prefer to be wearing a robe, but every time I walk a character in a robe or dress that is any longer than knee-length, the entire simulation explodes. The one exception I had was one time when the robe rode up past the character's knee and was incredibly wrinkly and had clinging "arms" that reached up to body parts and other parts of the robes.

My knowledge of dForce workings is rather limited, and mostly revolves around lowering friction and increasing iterations, collisions per iteration, and subframes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

No idea how animation would complicate things, but as a starting point make sure that in the starting pose the mesh being dforced does not intersect with anything. For example I would imagine a robe may have large volumous sleeves and so if you are starting from a walking pose the arms will be down by the figure's side and so the sleeves may be intersecting/overlapping the part covering the torso.

• In Simulation Settings you may well need to increase the values under the Quality group in the Edfitor tab, and perhaps also the Collision Iterations under Collision.

• Starting intersections can be a killer causing explosions in simulation.  I wish we had some tool that does a check to see if the start position is good, perhaps highlighting intersecting geometry that will likely cause a problem. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,262

Intersection is not the only cause that may result in explosion... also check settings on dynamic surfaces, e.g. more stiffness or more velocity may also bring explosion in some cases. So, better name the product you're using.