How to hide part of a model / how to make part of a model transparent.

I'm working on a figure for a sci-fi project who has some cybernetic parts. This includes a large chunk of their face. Ironicly the hardest part so far has been getting the eyebrow right because ironicly enough she shouldn't have a right eyebrow and I can't get that to happen. I could just bump some of her implants out a bit to cover up the right eyebrow, but I'd rather not. Back in 2008 when I used Poser (getting back into this hobby) I could just make a transparancy map that was black on the side I wanted to cover up, slap that into the materials page and poof! No more right eyebrow. But doing that with the translucency weight option isn't working for DAZ.

There also isn't seperate objects or subobjects for the left and right eybrows in the object's tree, so I can't just turn the whole object off. I'm at a loss...

It's not the worst thing in the world as the mechanical eyebrow that's part of her implant covers most of what you'd see when lit from above, but if the hair stopped casting shadow you'd see it so I'd like help. Any ideas?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Translucency isn't equivalent to transparency, it's more like SSS. The DS/Iray equivalent of Transparency is Cutout Opacity, towards the bottom.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited August 29

As for making it transparency,  you may check this thread as well as the shader set in the example scene file. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/699091/ghosts-boooooo#latest

Save and apply the shader preset to the partial area on your character and tweak Refraction Weight value on its surface, the bigger the value is, the more transparency you're gonna have. A value of 0.94 is set on the figure in that screenshot, if you set it to 1.0, then fully transparent ~~

As for making some parts / surfaces hidden, as Gordig said, zeroing Cutout Opacity will do.

Post edited by crosswind on