Is Strand-based hair taking a step backward in realism, lately? August 2024

2»

Comments

• mrpenguin76mrpenguin76 Posts: 20
    edited September 4

Yep, but the question was about auto-fitting. That one doesn't drape much anyway during sim, not taking into account using wind there, But that is beside the point anyway.  To get A SIM into that now fitted G8 hair, you need to run a sim with that hair on a G9 Base, or Dev load this is in the G8F/M clone shape (via Paramaters/hidden/clone {I'm sure you already know this Chevybabe25, this is for others}) then open joined editor and  right click on the screen,choose edit, adjust rigging to shape, put a check in adjust orientation, and Accept. Then run whatever complex sim is need to achieve the end result.  When it is done export that STRANDS as an .obj in Base res (which they already are), then use morph loader pro and to inject that as a morph into the STRANDS of the G8 hair, and now you have a simulated g8 hair.  Tedious process, but possible to do none the less.

Post edited by mrpenguin76 on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,205

What I do for using SBH on another generation is place and scale (the haircap) to the target figure and parent to head.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited September 4

mrpenguin76 said:

crosswind said:

Uthgard said:

ArgleSW said:

Looking at OOT's (outoftouch) recent products which have started to use strand based hair, I feel the materials and overrall look have taken step backwards. The colors do not look natural and has an odd metallic look to it (even after lowering glossiness). While the strand based technology might be more advanced and has greater potential, the out of the box final look in renders can look off in my opinion. When I try to apply a blonde material for example, they all end up looking like a metallic gold. 

Speaking of OutOfTouch, how feasible is it to use the G9 hairs on G8? Are they on a cap, or is that strand-based thing where they can only be used on the figure they were made for? Sorry for the slight out-of-topic, but I didn't want to make a new thread for this, and one of their hairs is today's big sale item.

Not feasible... direct Auto-Fit doesn't work. There's a Cap indeed but the Cap + SBH are both under another root Hair node. After Auto-Fitting, the root Hair node will not be redirected to the correct position, so a manual fix is always needed. So... easy and straigh-forward way is still parenting the hair to figure's hair node.

It is Possible to fit OOT G9 strand based hair to G8 using auto-fit, it just requires a couple extra steps to do it. I'll use dForce Strand-Based Summer Style Wavy Long Bob Hair for Genesis 9 | Daz 3D as my example for how to do it.

First of course have your G8F/M Loaded.  Now bring in the strand based hair with the character UNSELECTED.  You will still get a pop up on this one as the dforce dummy will still try to auto fit, just hit cancel.  Now click and expand the Summer style Wavy Long Bob Hair, and unparent the STRANDS.  Now select that, in parameters change it's "fit to" to NONE.  Now right click on the scene tab and choose edit scene info.  One the prefered base for the strands set it to Genesis 9 Base and hit accept.  Now right click on the Strands and choose fit to Genesis 8F/M (i used both Genesis 9 CS and MMX Gensis 9 clone and result were pretty much the same)  I used shoulder length as the tempate. Now right click and auto fit the other pieces that already have the G9 Base Prefered.  And the results are on the Left...

Now IF you load the hair with the character selected and do choose to Auto fit at the point you can Also simply Unparent and UNFIT the strands, changed the prefered base to Gensis 9 Base and RE-auto fit the strands... So why didn't i just say that in the first place? well, something about skinning a Ca---- a Buck, yeah a Buck (don't want to offend the cat lovers ;)).  

The reason why I said direct Auto-Fit doesn't work and manual fixing will be needed was because we ever experimented a lot with this sort of  "new hairs"....  I have to say the way with which you Auto-Fitted the hair breaks a couple of things: original "Fit to" structure, ghost morphs on the hair's root node, and dForce modifier ~~ So if one does need a conversion... the better way should be always the old school way : Auto-Fit (or Re-rig with Transfer Utility) + Fix Base. With this hair, key steps :

1) Load hair into the Scene, just auto-fit Face Dummy and Summer Style Wavy Long Bob Hair root node to G8. (Re-rigging with Clone will also do. )
    2) Load hair on G9, dial G8F Clone on G9. Export Cap and Strand nodes to OBJ files. Import OBJ files onto Cap and Strand nodes on G8 with MLP as "Fix Base" morphs. Then dial the morphs.
    3) Save a Wearable Preset or a converted version Figure Asset. Done ~

With this way, everything on G9 version's hair will be kept on the converted one on G8, and works well.

SNAG-2024-9-4-040.png
    2560 x 1392 - 602K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  •  

The reason why I said direct Auto-Fit doesn't work and manual fixing will be needed was because we ever experimented a lot with this sort of  "new hairs"....  I have to say the way with which you Auto-Fitted the hair breaks a couple of things: original "Fit to" structure, ghost morphs on the hair's root node, and dForce modifier ~~ So if one does need a conversion... the better way should be always the old school way : Auto-Fit (or Re-rig with Transfer Utility) + Fix Base. With this hair, key steps :

1) Load hair into the Scene, just auto-fit Face Dummy and Summer Style Wavy Long Bob Hair root node to G8. (Re-rigging with Clone will also do. )
    2) Load hair on G9, dial G8F Clone on G9. Export Cap and Strand nodes to OBJ files. Import OBJ files onto Cap and Strand nodes on G8 with MLP as "Fix Base" morphs. Then dial the morphs.

With this way, everything on G9 version's hair will be kept on the converted one on G8, and works well.

That is a MUCH better method, thanks for Tip, added a warning in my first post. I do tend to break stuff when I play around ;) It's how i learn to fix it.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274

mrpenguin76 said:

That is a MUCH better method, thanks for Tip, added a warning in my first post. I do tend to break stuff when I play around ;) It's how i learn to fix it.

Ah... oaky, got it !